The Student Room Group

If you get a B or a low A grade in your AS Level Maths, is an A* possible overall?

I'm doing the Edexcel board and i think i got a low A in my AS Level exams, is it still possible to get an A* in my A2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think to get an A* you need an overall UMS% of 80% across all modules with an average of 90% on the A2 modules. (Correct me if this is wrong)

So it's perfectly possible - you just have to do well in the A2s :biggrin:
Reply 2
I got a mid-B at AS and I think I might have an A* now. It's possible, whether you want to try and get 90% in C3/C4 is another question.
Reply 3
Original post by oli_G
I think to get an A* you need an overall UMS% of 80% across all modules with an average of 90% on the A2 modules. (Correct me if this is wrong)

So it's perfectly possible - you just have to do well in the A2s :biggrin:

this.

no correction needed.

EDIT: Why the neg?
(edited 12 years ago)
Yep, as long as you get 80% average overall, and 90% average over c3 and c4 :smile:
Reply 5
assuming you got this in AS:

C1- 90
c2- 75
M1 - 75

then in your A2, you must average 90 across c3/c4 + have 480/600 total across everything:

C3- 89
C4- 91
M2 - 60

this person had 480/600 total, and he averaged 90 across c3/c4, therefore he has A*

hope this helps

EDIT: but you have to think realistically, if you got low A's in AS, can you get 90's in c3/c4?
(edited 12 years ago)
225/300 at AS (75%) -----------> B
255/300 (90 c3, 90 c4, 75 m1)(85%) -------> A* overall

480/600 with 90 in c3 and c4 and a B at AS gives a*.

These were just random figures
Reply 7
Yeah, pretty much as shown above. it is possible. But honestly if you are getting a high B/Low A, think realistically about whether you will get an A*.
It is possible.

In fact even if you get a 70% B-grade at AS, you can still get the A* overall if you happen to finish with 90% at A2 (and thus averaging 80% overall).
Reply 9
Possible, albeit unlikely as the A2 is much harder. My friend dropped from an A at AS to mid/low B. Theoretically you could get an A* without getting an A at AS as the 90%+ over C3 and C4 should bring the overall average to the 80%+, so as long as the S2/M2 doesn't go badly to pull the average down (although 90 in it isn't part of the A* requirement.)
Reply 11
You can as long as all of your core modules are over 80 ums otherwise it's not possible even if you get 100% in all the applied modules... it's weird.
Reply 12
Original post by Ilyas
assuming you got this in AS:

C1- 90
c2- 75
M1 - 75

then in your A2, you must average 90 across c3/c4 + have 480/600 total across everything:

C3- 89
C4- 91
M2 - 60

this person had 480/600 total, and he averaged 90 across c3/c4, therefore he has A*

hope this helps

EDIT: but you have to think realistically, if you got low A's in AS, can you get 90's in c3/c4?

oh ok thanks, so basically 480/600 is the minimum to get an A*?
Original post by tiffster
oh ok thanks, so basically 480/600 is the minimum to get an A*?

Yes (but dont forget the average of 90 across c3 & c4 too)
Reply 14
Original post by Kim-x
Possible, albeit unlikely as the A2 is much harder. My friend dropped from an A at AS to mid/low B. Theoretically you could get an A* without getting an A at AS as the 90%+ over C3 and C4 should bring the overall average to the 80%+, so as long as the S2/M2 doesn't go badly to pull the average down (although 90 in it isn't part of the A* requirement.)

thanks. Do you know the UCAS policy, say i got predicted an A grade for A level Maths but actually got an A*, are there any ways to "Re-apply" to unis of those higher entry requirements provided i met them, but the teachers didn't think i could, when in fact i did?
does that make sense?
Reply 15
Original post by tooosh
I got a mid-B at AS and I think I might have an A* now. It's possible, whether you want to try and get 90% in C3/C4 is another question.

If i got predicted an A, but actually got an A*, do you know whether it is possible to reapply to those Universities which i initially wanted to go to with those high entry requirements (providing i met them in my a levels) but couldn't because my teachers predicted me the lower grade? i can try and explain again if that doesn't make sense
Reply 16
Original post by tiffster
If i got predicted an A, but actually got an A*, do you know whether it is possible to reapply to those Universities which i initially wanted to go to with those high entry requirements (providing i met them in my a levels) but couldn't because my teachers predicted me the lower grade? i can try and explain again if that doesn't make sense

You can apply for UCAS entry in any year including and after your A2 year. But you still have a chance of getting an A*AA offer even if you're only predicted AAA. Especially if you get an interview and bring it up when they ask if there's anything else you want to add.
Reply 17
Original post by Ilyas
Yes (but dont forget the average of 90 across c3 & c4 too)

aah ok thanks! I think i get it now.

Btw, do you know whether it is possible to reapply to the Universities with the higher entry grade requirements if i actually got a higher grade than my predicted grades in A level?
I think as long as you get 480 ums at end of second year and 90% in C3 and C4 then I think you can still get A* :smile:
hmm what if you get 90% in unit 1 and 2 of AS and 90% of unit 4 and 5 of A2... but like get like C/B on the practical stuff which is worth like 20%?? is it still possible to get an A* overall?
unit 1 90/100
unit 2 130/140

unit 3 40/60
unit 4 108/120
unit 5 108/120

unit 6 41/60

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending