The Student Room Group

Why is Harrow such a good school?

Just wondering whether there was a specific reason why it is so famous.

Scroll to see replies

Don't know, but their uniform is RIDICULOUS.
Reply 2
Good results, very old, long established history and it has educated some very famous and successful folk, including Winston Churchill.
Reply 3
Original post by seanfromtheblock
Don't know, but their uniform is RIDICULOUS.

Why what is it?
Original post by Superator1
Why what is it?

click
Reply 5

Just wondering whether there was a specific reason why it is so famous.

NEWSFLASH: It's isn't such a great school. Quite frankly, any school which selects on the basis of intellect / aptitude, even if it's a poorly performing maintained sector school, will find it rises very rapidly in league tables as its students will most likely perform well above average in public examinations.

The thing about Harrow - and the same is true for Westminster School, Eton, Rugby, Winchester, maybe a couple more - is that it's one of the oldest "elite" public schools. It does boast exceptional facilities and resources, I'll grant them that, but then you'd have to to justify the insane fee levels that they command.
Reply 6
Original post by SebCross
NEWSFLASH: It's isn't such a great school. Quite frankly, any school which selects on the basis of intellect / aptitude, even if it's a poorly performing maintained sector school, will find it rises very rapidly in league tables as its students will most likely perform well above average in public examinations.

The thing about Harrow - and the same is true for Westminster School, Eton, Rugby, Winchester, maybe a couple more - is that it's one of the oldest "elite" public schools. It does boast exceptional facilities and resources, I'll grant them that, but then you'd have to to justify the insane fee levels that they command.

So you are telling me then that there is no such thing as a great school??
Any school which is elitist is going to stand out in the league tables, but the fees they charge are just over the top, but to be honest if I had the money I'd send my kids there. :biggrin:
Reply 8
My Dad used to work there. He said all the boys are inculcated with such a high sense of self worth, they're too arrogant to fail.
Reply 9
It's highly selective, can afford to provide exceptional facilities and hire the best teachers for most subjects. It's private, so is less constrained to follow national curricula and can devote more time to things it feels are more important (for instance Dulwich gives all students up to a certain age weekly debating lessons). Those are all going to contribute to excellent exam results and university statistics.

It's famous because it's old, one of the unquestionably public schools, and has lots of famous ex-students. And as tufc said, if you take an 11-year-old and spend eight years telling him he's at the top end of society by virtue of going to the school he does, that's going to produce high-achieving adults who won't settle for mediocrity.
Reply 10

So you are telling me then that there is no such thing as a great school??

That's not what I said. Of course there are many many fantastic schools out there. It's just I would really genuinely question whether a school such as Harrow really, and I mean really justifies its fee levels. I mean, there are great Oxford private schools (Magdalen College School, Oxford High School, Headington School, d'Overbroeck's College, where I attended on an academic scholarship) that charge noticeably less than school such as Harrow. Indeed, in the case of Oxford High School G.D.S.T., it's the second-strongest performing school in Oxfordshire and it charges around £4,000 a year.
Reply 11
Original post by dbmag9

Original post by dbmag9
It's highly selective, can afford to provide exceptional facilities and hire the best teachers for most subjects. It's private, so is less constrained to follow national curricula and can devote more time to things it feels are more important (for instance Dulwich gives all students up to a certain age weekly debating lessons). Those are all going to contribute to excellent exam results and university statistics.

It's famous because it's old, one of the unquestionably public schools, and has lots of famous ex-students. And as tufc said, if you take an 11-year-old and spend eight years telling him he's at the top end of society by virtue of going to the school he does, that's going to produce high-achieving adults who won't settle for mediocrity.

Quite. And surely that's all that's wrong with Britain today. We need a genuinely meritocracy whereby those that possess the raw ability triumph, not the wealthy.
Reply 12
Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not anti-private education, not by any means. I just think there really does need to be a more level playing field.
Reply 13
That's not what I said. Of course there are many many fantastic schools out there. It's just I would really genuinely question whether a school such as Harrow really, and I mean really justifies its fee levels. I mean, there are great Oxford private schools (Magdalen College School, Oxford High School, Headington School, d'Overbroeck's College, where I attended on an academic scholarship) that charge noticeably less than school such as Harrow. Indeed, in the case of Oxford High School G.D.S.T., it's the second-strongest performing school in Oxfordshire and it charges around £4,000 a year.

I think that if you ever had a look at a school like Eton or Harrow you would see that their facilities are far superior to anywhere else in pretty much the whole world.
Also I think the contacts and prestige you receive is probably well worth the money.
I think that if you ever had a look at a school like Eton or Harrow you would see that their facilities are far superior to anywhere else in pretty much the whole world.
Also I think the contacts and prestige you receive is probably well worth the money.

If it was genuinely a fantastic school, it would produce adults who could be successful on their own merit...no contacts needed.

Edit: What was wrong with this post magicman? Strike a nerve?
(edited 12 years ago)
I fixed the title ^^
Original post by dbmag9

Really?

What other things do private schools do to ensure their students are better than the rest?
Reply 17

Well, in fairness they don't have to 'justify' the fees, so long as people will pay them.

Quite. And surely that's all that's wrong with Britain today. We need a genuinely meritocracy whereby those that possess the raw ability triumph, not the wealthy.

Well, leaving aside nonsense concepts like things being 'wrong' with a country, I agree that more meritocracy would be a good thing, although I think fee-paying schools can still be an important element in helping with that.

Prestige? lolz

I went to an equivalent school to Eton and Harrow (not gonna say the name) and the only thing I've gained from it is being teased by state educated friends at uni, all light hearted but nothing positive at all.

Maybe a connection could potentially help me get a job or know the Conservative MP for some upper class part of London one day but I doubt it'll really help me any more than going to any other school.
Reply 19
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Prestige? lolz

I went to an equivalent school to Eton and Harrow (not gonna say the name) and the only thing I've gained from it is being teased by state educated friends at uni, all light hearted but nothing positive at all.

Maybe a connection could potentially help me get a job or know the Conservative MP for some upper class part of London one day but I doubt it'll really help me any more than going to any other school.

Obviously a bit of a minor public school if it wasn't Harrow or Eton. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending