The Student Room Group

St Dominic’s Harrow Applying

Hi, i’m looking to apply for St Doms as i join Y11 in September
I should be getting 8s and 9s at GCSE
However i just wanted to ask a few things

1- How can i higher my chances of getting in? I’m not Christian so i’m at a disadvantage. To anyone who also isn’t christian, what grades did you need/have to get in ?
2 - What areas are most people from?
3 - Are they strict on using mobile phones (lol not a priority ofc)
4 - How is the social life?

Lol sorry it’s a lot, if anyone who’s been/is at st doms has any answers id be so grateful 🥲
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jmn_
I should be getting 8s and 9s at GCSE, i don’t want anything below an 8 or 7 really😅
I’m really keen on joining - i’m desperate to get out of my current school

1- How can i higher my chances of getting in? I’m not Christian so i’m at a disadvantage so that’s why i’m keen to do good in mocks this year. To anyone who also isn’t christian, what grades did you need/have to get in ?
2 - What areas are most people from? People from Greenford/Perivale there?
4 - How is the social life?? Do ppl go out a lot etc?
5 - I know applying isn’t till late autumn/winter but how would i get a religious reference?
Lol sorry it’s a lot, if anyone who’s been/is at st doms has any answers id be so grateful 🥲
i also know the school is oversubscribed but what do i do if i get rejected

Heyyy I go to doms right now so I'm in the year above. Honestly don't worry too much about it you'll be fine! I did pretty decent in my GCSEs but definitely make sure you check out the entry requirement grades and as long as you're getting those grades you're pretty much good to go. I don't think you're not at much of a disadvantage because there are a lot of non-christians in the school, I'm Hindu myself:smile: Also yeah people are from everywhere closeby so Greenford, Southall, Harrow all different areas so it's fine. They're not really strict about mobile phones you can use them in your frees and lunch and everything it's super chill and lenient and some teachers let you use it in lessons if they ask you to do something with them but you end up having to check your phone a lot anyway incase of last minute emails or changes to lessons etc. The social life is great!!! Trust me you'll meet so many people and everyone is super nice because you're all new so you'll make friends really easily and in the first few weeks I recommend using your frees to make friends and go out and do all that because you can go out during frees as long as you're there for all your lessons. In terms of the religious reference I don't think they do that anymore I can't really remember whether I had to get one or not. Also don't worry about getting rejected you seem like you would get good grades based off of you saying that you want to get all 9s and 8s so as long as you're getting an average grade of over 6.5 and good grades in the subjects you want to choose, you should be good!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
ahhh omg thank you so much, i’ve honestly heard such good things from everyone there and it’s nice to know people are like sociable etc and there are people from local areas toooo
im suprised about the religious reference thing but im not fussed either😅 thanks tho,appreciate that
Reply 3
planning on doing econ maths and geo btww
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jmn_
planning on doing econ maths and geo btww

Was a student at st doms last year, can confirm the maths and econ department are probably one of the best teaching departments you can get for alevels!
Original post by jmn_
I should be getting 8s and 9s at GCSE, i don’t want anything below an 8 or 7 really😅
I’m really keen on joining - i’m desperate to get out of my current school

1- How can i higher my chances of getting in? I’m not Christian so i’m at a disadvantage so that’s why i’m keen to do good in mocks this year. To anyone who also isn’t christian, what grades did you need/have to get in ?
2 - What areas are most people from? People from Greenford/Perivale there?
4 - How is the social life?? Do ppl go out a lot etc?
5 - I know applying isn’t till late autumn/winter but how would i get a religious reference?
i also know the school is oversubscribed but what do i do if i get rejected

And I know it’s been answered already very accurately, but I just wanna say tbh most students nowadays are actually not of Catholic background, and now when applying they do say that they give priority to other faiths and backgrounds so that is good! Also phone is totally allowed, teachers probably will tell you to use it most lessons anyways ahha. And yes the other comment was right, I know many people who came all the way from outer London everyday, as well as Harrow, greenford etc. Also yes, you will be able to get in with an average of 6.5 from gcse score, this could change but it can also drop to 6.2 or 5.9 but usually is 6.5. If it was to increase then I think 6.8 would be probably the highest. But all in all, 100% a great school would totally recommend you going! You get a sense of uni life, e.g you call teachers by their first names so you grow closer to them throughout your time and they can help you in any way, Good luck, hope you get in!!
Reply 6
Original post by txxxs123
And I know it’s been answered already very accurately, but I just wanna say tbh most students nowadays are actually not of Catholic background, and now when applying they do say that they give priority to other faiths and backgrounds so that is good! Also phone is totally allowed, teachers probably will tell you to use it most lessons anyways ahha. And yes the other comment was right, I know many people who came all the way from outer London everyday, as well as Harrow, greenford etc. Also yes, you will be able to get in with an average of 6.5 from gcse score, this could change but it can also drop to 6.2 or 5.9 but usually is 6.5. If it was to increase then I think 6.8 would be probably the highest. But all in all, 100% a great school would totally recommend you going! You get a sense of uni life, e.g you call teachers by their first names so you grow closer to them throughout your time and they can help you in any way, Good luck, hope you get in!!

ahhh thank you so much ,since i wrote that i’ve heard mixed things about some of the economics teachers though but i appreciate the reassurance frr 🥰
and yeahh that’s great the grade average isn’t that bad- but do u reckon that like, if you get mostly 9s instead of idk mostly 8s, u higher ur chance of getting in?
thanks againn x hope uni (i’m assuming haha) is going well now etccx
Reply 7
alsooo tbh lol i’m jusr really hoping the people there are nicer and perhaps maturer than ppl in high school
Original post by jmn_
alsooo tbh lol i’m jusr really hoping the people there are nicer and perhaps maturer than ppl in high school

Don't worry there are so many people there you'll find people that match your vibe and people mature quite quickly in sixthform here so it's different to high school:smile:
Original post by jmn_
ahhh thank you so much ,since i wrote that i’ve heard mixed things about some of the economics teachers though but i appreciate the reassurance frr 🥰
and yeahh that’s great the grade average isn’t that bad- but do u reckon that like, if you get mostly 9s instead of idk mostly 8s, u higher ur chance of getting in?
thanks againn x hope uni (i’m assuming haha) is going well now etccx

Hahah, about the econ teachers there’s one that people either love or hate lol, I really liked her and we had a good relationship but still anyways my other econ teacher was the besttt! So when you apply, as long as your predicted grades are good, they will choose whether to give you an offer, and once you have received the offer, it will say it is subject of you getting e.g. average 6.5, and then it doesn’t matter whether you get 8s or 9s it just has to be an average of 6.5 or over. And thank you yes I am enjoying uni!
Hahah, about the econ teachers there’s one that people either love or hate lol, I really liked her and we had a good relationship but still anyways my other econ teacher was the besttt! So when you apply, as long as your predicted grades are good, they will choose whether to give you an offer, and once you have received the offer, it will say it is subject of you getting e.g. average 6.5, and then it doesn’t matter whether you get 8s or 9s it just has to be an average of 6.5 or over. And thank you yes I am enjoying uni!

And also, just about the econ teachers, whether you like them or not, trust they will teach really wellll!
Reply 11

ahh i’m glad to hear, thanks so much again btw

lol part of me is relieved that it’s just about getting an average 6.5 of over cuz i won’t be getting straight 9s😭
Reply 12
And also, just about the econ teachers, whether you like them or not, trust they will teach really wellll!

yeahh i was just suprised - people say getting in can just be luck dependant and i can kinda see why now, because loads of ppl probs will get a 6.5 average or over so idk how they’d pick who to accept, that’s why i thought that whether u get 7s or 9s would make a difference 😅
I’m thinking of going to St Dominic’s next year, I’ve applied for it and just waiting to see if I get an offer, if I don’t get an offer what do I do? Do I re apply on results day? Also is the entry requirement 6.5 in your best 9 GCSEs?
I just got a conditional offer today.. and mind you I had no 9s and 8s only 5 predicted 7s but I'm Catholic so.. I also had a predicted 3 in RS TT so yeah.. but I thunk they considered me cos I came to the UK like in September 2022, so this all new for me.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yeah all offers got sent out today, one of my mate got 4’s and 5’s but still got accepted because he is catholic.
Original post by Adamanwarrr7
Yeah all offers got sent out today, one of my mate got 4’s and 5’s but still got accepted because he is catholic.

lol, ig catholics, salvotarians and the other girls school need an average of 6, whereas other Christians need an average of 6.2 and all others require an average of 6.5, did you get an offer?
Yeah I got an offer, my friend who is catholic is an average of 6 and I am 6.5 so it’s not hard really. My friend did get rejected even tho he got 7’s in his mocks.

Original post by realMadrid.14
lol, ig catholics, salvotarians and the other girls school need an average of 6, whereas other Christians need an average of 6.2 and all others require an average of 6.5, did you get an offer?
Original post by Adamanwarrr7
Yeah I got an offer, my friend who is catholic is an average of 6 and I am 6.5 so it’s not hard really. My friend did get rejected even tho he got 7’s in his mocks.

When is your seminar? Mines at 5 on 29th of this month
Reply 19
yeahh i got an offer too today, to be fair everyone who i know that applied (not many) got one too
Is the £250 donation like something we’re obliged to pay? Or are we already in?😅
My seminars at 4pm but i hope i get there on time cause of when school ends and distance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending