The Student Room Group

Preparation for Year 12

I'm starting Year 12 in September, so I was looking for a few tips from people who have already been through this year on how to 'hit the ground running' so to speak so that I can do as well as possible. I want to get as high unit grades as possible so as to ease the pressure come Year 13, so I won't have to resit and/or get stupidly high UMS in order to get a good overall grade :smile:
Reply 1
subscribing, same here :smile:
Reply 2
First of all it's good you're interested in preparing yourself. From my experience, you don't want to treat them like GCSEs, doing last minute revision, etc. I found that a lot of people in my year who got marginally better GCSEs than me, didn't do great in their January exams as they thought it'd be like GCSE, and had a poor work ethic. I'd say purchase some work material for the subjects you're considering.
So say for instance you wanted to do maths, get something like 'Head Start to AS Maths', or purchase some AS books/revision guides for the subjects you are taking and read them/make notes. I wouldn't do too much work though, as you don't want to tire yourself before you even begin. Just make sure you do the homework, pay attention in your lessons, make sure you understand what you cover, and revise thoroughly for your exams in January and June and I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:
I Hope that's of some use to you. :smile:
Buy the textbooks, start reading them. There's no need for this though.
Reply 4
Original post by WaNaBe
First of all it's good you're interested in preparing yourself. From my experience, you don't want to treat them like GCSEs, doing last minute revision, etc. I found that a lot of people in my year who got marginally better GCSEs than me, didn't do great in their January exams as they thought it'd be like GCSE, and had a poor work ethic. I'd say purchase some work material for the subjects you're considering.
So say for instance you wanted to do maths, get something like 'Head Start to AS Maths', or purchase some AS books/revision guides for the subjects you are taking and read them/make notes. I wouldn't do too much work though, as you don't want to tire yourself before you even begin. Just make sure you do the homework, pay attention in your lessons, make sure you understand what you cover, and revise thoroughly for your exams in January and June and I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:
I Hope that's of some use to you. :smile:

That's great :smile: thank you :smile:
Reply 5
No real need to start learning to content yet, give yourself a break!
Just stay organised, do your work as soon as you get it, don't get involved when everyone else is stressing out, make sure you have a life outside of schoolwork to keep a good perspective on things.
Reply 6
What subjects are you going to be doing? I might be able to give you better advice then! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by swhiskb
What subjects are you going to be doing? I might be able to give you better advice then! :smile:

History, French, English Literature, Maths and English Language :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kimiechi
History, French, English Literature, Maths and English Language :smile:

Oooo, ok well out of those I take French and English Literature, and here's a few things that I wish I'd known! :smile: For French, I'd try and get hold of a good grammar workbook (I use Heinemann A Level French Grammar Practise, which is quite good, and my friend uses the Elan grammar book, which I think is also quite good!). Also, if you go on itunes, you should be able to find some french podcast, these can be quite basic but at least it gives you the chance to listen to a good french accent.

For English Literature, do you know what books you will be doing? If so, I would recommend that you read these, so that you're really familiar with the texts before you start. Also, we did the AQA exam, for which you had to know the assesment objectives REALLY well, so if you're doing AQA then I would recommend that you do that! :smile:

For all subjects, reading around the subject is probably the most key thing - just find stuff on the internet or in books about your subject/ course content and you should be well on the way!

Hope that some of this was helpful - good luck with everything in Year 12, and if I can be of any help, feel free to ask me anything! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest