The Student Room Group

Level 3 BTEC Applied science extended diploma - What is the exam structure?

Title says it all. I am currently tutoring a student in this subject but I am unfamiliar with the exam structure. I am only tutoring the externally assessed units (1,3,5,7). He is currently in Year 12, and I want to prepare a resource for him and future students. I can see the exam dates on the pearson site, but which exams will he sit in year 12 vs year 13? Thanks.
Original post by metdog
Title says it all. I am currently tutoring a student in this subject but I am unfamiliar with the exam structure. I am only tutoring the externally assessed units (1,3,5,7). He is currently in Year 12, and I want to prepare a resource for him and future students. I can see the exam dates on the pearson site, but which exams will he sit in year 12 vs year 13? Thanks.

Pearson don't dictate in what year each exam is taken. However, what most colleges do is have their students sits the exams for external units 1 and 3 in year one, and for external units 5 and 7 in year two.

This is because units 1 and 3 are common to both the Foundation Diploma and the Extended Diploma. So if they take the same approach with the internal (coursework-based) units (i.e. cover the units which are shared between both qualifications in year one), then after year one the student has achieved a Foundation Diploma which then becomes an Extended Diploma after year two. If the college covers the units in a different order, then year one produces no qualification in its own right.

To be sure that your student's college is taking this approach, they'll need to check with their college.

I assume you've already seen it, but the specification is here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending