The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kay-Cooper
Hello everyone..
Basically i have got a D in GCSE maths, all my other grades are C or above. I'm just about to go into my secound year of college so will start applying for uni i september. My uni's i thik i would like to go too are...
Portsmouth
Brighton
Leeds Met
Nottingham Trent
De-Montfort
Manchester Met
Cardiff Met
I am hoping to study sociology. Do you think i would be able to still get into uni and the course with out a C in maths. Or do you know of any other uni's that would maybe allow me to study there? Has anyone ever got into uni with a D in maths? I've resat maths twice in my first year of college and cannot pass it, even though i do revise loads for it. Please help me!! :frown:
Thank you!

the best way is to find out what grade for maths is required at the universities of your choice. if they only accept grade C and above then it wouldn't hurt to re-sit the exam or course :smile:
Reply 21
Try to resit if you still have time. Or try to contact the uni departments before applying.

So, anyway, I got into University of York (starting this October 11) with a grade E in GCE Mathematics. I never resit mathematics (took the risk! everyone said im crazy :tongue:). But honestly, It was quite difficult to search for uni as almost all requires mathematics C and above. Got rejected from few unis because of the E.

Good luck. (Aaahh.. never got decent grades for maths since form 1 LOL)
Reply 22
Not all Universities require a C in Maths.

As long as your other grades are good. I got an F in Maths (lol) and i got offers from; Exeter, Hull, Birmingham City, Lincoln Uni and Kent - one from Kent was only because I explained to them I got full marks on a maths unit on my ND..
Original post by Costalo

As long as your other grades are good. I got an F in Maths (lol) and i got offers from; Exeter, Hull, Birmingham City, Lincoln Uni and Kent - one from Kent was only because I explained to them I got full marks on a maths unit on my ND..

How did you get offers from more than 5 universities?

Actually, nevermind, I read your post as : Exeter, Hull, Birmingham, City, Lincoln and Kent.

I wasn't even aware there was a 'Birmingham City' university, I thought that was a football team...
Reply 24
Original post by Costalo

but they must have been conditional offers ? or they let you off with the gcse ?

also what course :P XD
Reply 25
Original post by FF-
but they must have been conditional offers ? or they let you off with the gcse ?

also what course :P XD

Lincoln was unconditional and so was Exeter (surprisingly). The others were conditional that I got DMM or DDM on my National Diploma.

Lincoln - Forensic Science
Exeter - Archaeology with Forensic science
Hull - Chemistry
Birmingham City - Criminology
Kent - Forensic Science

They didn't mention the GCSE. Though, Kent Uni emailed me asking if I had it and I replied saying no, but I had completed an AS Level Maths unit on my ND but would also re-sit my GCSE Maths during first year (didn't of course) and they accepted me.

In the end I chose Kent.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Costalo
Lincoln was unconditional and so was Exeter (surprisingly). The others were conditional that I got DMM or DDM on my National Diploma.

Lincoln - Forensic Science
Exeter - Archaeology with Forensic science
Hull - Chemistry
Birmingham City - Criminology
Kent - Forensic Science

They didn't mention the GCSE. Though, Kent Uni emailed me asking if I had it and I replied saying no, but I had completed an AS Level Maths unit on my ND but would also re-sit my GCSE Maths during first year (didn't of course) and they accepted me.

In the end I chose Kent.

cool ... its funny im in a similar situation and kent is my firm :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by FF-
cool ... its funny im in a similar situation and kent is my firm :biggrin:

Lol, thats cool. Hope you get in, Kent is a great Uni :smile:
Hey Guys

i applied for Sheffield Hallam University, below are entry requirements and actual results but i failed maths by 3 points only and have been shown unsucessful in ucas, i feel its a bit unfair, any advice please

entry Requirements

40 UCAS points
Functional English Level 2
Functional Maths Level 2

results

160 UCAS points (4x more than required)
Passed English Level 2
Failed by Functional Skills Maths by (2-3 points only)
Original post by lburteclark
Hey Guys

i applied for Sheffield Hallam University, below are entry requirements and actual results but i failed maths by 3 points only and have been shown unsucessful in ucas, i feel its a bit unfair, any advice please

entry Requirements

40 UCAS points
Functional English Level 2
Functional Maths Level 2

results

160 UCAS points (4x more than required)
Passed English Level 2
Failed by Functional Skills Maths by (2-3 points only)

My advice to you would be to resit Functional skills Maths this coming year and reapply. There won't be anything left in clearing now- even London Met has a waiting list. And if you weren't that far off you should be able to do it at the second attempt. Unfortuntley being able to reach certain standards in Maths & English is very important, even if it might not be relevant to your university course, employers will want to see that you have met those standards.
Reply 30
Original post by Kay-Cooper
Hello everyone..
Basically i have got a D in GCSE maths, all my other grades are C or above. I'm just about to go into my secound year of college so will start applying for uni i september. My uni's i thik i would like to go too are...
Portsmouth
Brighton
Leeds Met
Nottingham Trent
De-Montfort
Manchester Met
Cardiff Met
I am hoping to study sociology. Do you think i would be able to still get into uni and the course with out a C in maths. Or do you know of any other uni's that would maybe allow me to study there? Has anyone ever got into uni with a D in maths? I've resat maths twice in my first year of college and cannot pass it, even though i do revise loads for it. Please help me!! :frown:
Thank you!

I know I'm like REALLY late, but how did it go? Did you resit and get a C or did uni's let you in with a d? I'm in the exact same position now!
Reply 31
Original post by Kaisa:)
I know I'm like REALLY late, but how did it go? Did you resit and get a C or did uni's let you in with a d? I'm in the exact same position now!

It's okay :smile: and i finally got a C :biggrin:!!! I passed it last summer (2011) and don't worry i know everyone says this but just revise as hard as you can, it took me 4 attempts but i finally got there! But if this does help my friend has a D in maths and she is going to uni in September, but try your hardest to pass maths as you will need it later on it life when getting jobs, not just getting into uni :smile:
Reply 32
Ahh thankyou :smile: Well done for passing!!! I have my exam tomorrow so I'm hoping I will pass and won't have to resit AGAIN! Thanks :smile: x

Latest

Trending

Trending