The Student Room Group

Would Belfast be safe for me to live in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm from just outside belfast (10 mins)and at QUB, live in the holylands. I feel extremely safe here, and have't had any issues in three years. What are you concerned is going to happen?
I think it depends more on how you act tbh. If you go to areas where people drink and do drugs you'll be at more risk than if you avoided them. Its not any worse than London but if you're going from one of the towns to the city it can be a different life style and a bit frightening. I'm sure you'll be safe if you're sensible. I've never been scared when in Belfast but then I've lived in London for most of my life so I'm kind of use to cities.
Reply 22
Just don't bring your Rangers/Celtic shirt and you'll be grand.
Reply 23
Original post by Butter_cup
I'm from just outside belfast (10 mins)and at QUB, live in the holylands. I feel extremely safe here, and have't had any issues in three years. What are you concerned is going to happen?

I have various concerns about Belfast.

* Paramilitary activity- NI is obviously renowned for this kind of thing and I wonder how safe the area would be

* Sectarianism in Belfast-unlike cities in mainland, Belfast has 'Catholic areas' and 'Protestant areas' and it can be dangerous if you go to a Protestant area if you are a Catholic and vice versa. When I look at accomodation in the university area, like here: http://www.gumtree.com/flats-and-houses-for-rent/university-area I dont know whether the houses are in Catholic areas or Protestant areas, this concerns me as I would want to avoid living in an area unsafe for me in this respect

* im an outsider to Belfast, and this is obvious by my accent

* in general, Belfast has a reputation of being rough/dangerous which is sticking in my mind
Reply 24
Original post by Love Island

* Paramilitary activity- NI is obviously renowned for this kind of thing and I wonder how safe the area would be

* Sectarianism in Belfast-unlike cities in mainland, Belfast has 'Catholic areas' and 'Protestant areas' and it can be dangerous if you go to a Protestant area if you are a Catholic and vice versa. When I look at accomodation in the university area, like here: http://www.gumtree.com/flats-and-houses-for-rent/university-area I dont know whether the houses are in Catholic areas or Protestant areas, this concerns me as I would want to avoid living in an area unsafe for me in this respect

* in general, Belfast has a reputation of being rough/dangerous which is sticking in my mind

1) I have lived in Belfast for almost 18 years now in 'Loyalist East Belfast', as it is so nicely described on many murals, and I can say that I have never had any personal experience of paramilitaries, other than what I see on TV, just like you.

2)The University area of Belfast is not one of these areas. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to say, I'd say it was more a protestant area than a catholic area. But it is in no way a rough part of the city. The University is in South Belfast, widely considered to be the 'posh' part of Belfast.

3) This won't matter one bit. Belfast is full of 'outsiders', just like any other city.

4) I watched Donal MacIntyre's Crime Capital series recently, particularly the one on Belfast, as I wanted to see how he would portray it. And I can honestly say, I have never laughed so hard at a supposedly "factual" programme. The programme made out that the people of Belfast walked about kneecapping each other for the fun of it all day long. It was the biggest piece of dramatised nonsense I've ever seen.

The one thing I would say, is that you would need to be careful for a month or 2 until you get your bearings of where is safe to go and where is not; but this is the same in every city. There are areas where it is not safe to walk at night, and they should be avoided. But like I said, this is no different to any other city in the UK.
Reply 25

1) In the university area you will not be involved with any paramilitary groups.
2)Yes there are areas in belfast that are mainly catholic or mainly protestant. I however disagree with the person above and would say that the university area, in particular the holylands are made of of mainly catholic students. However there are still protestant students who are treated no different and no issue is made about religion among the students. I really need to stress the point that the places you are going to be living will be made up of STUDENTS, it doesn't matter if they are catholic or protestant, tbh no one is interested. As students all we want to do is have fun and do well in our degrees.
3) seriously?? the majority of the students who move out are not from belfast. Me and my friends who are from belfast are a minority. My wider group of friends are from all over the country.
4) I can understand your concern if your coming from a small town but Belfast is not as rough as a lot of other cities in the UK. Its the same with anywhere, as long as your are not attracting trouble you will be grand.

p.s as I said it won't make a difference if your in a catholic or protestant area but if you still feel that it is a major issue then I'll give you a short overview. The holyland/ormeau road area (these are shown in the gumtree link) is a mainly Catholic student area but there are still a lot of protestants here. Protestants tend to live more toward the lisburn road direction but again I know plenty of catholics here. The stranmillis area tends to be more mixed with probably slightly more protestants.
I've never been to Belfast before but I would imagine there are some iffy areas like with every other city out there! A friend of mine who moved from Dublin to Belfast to go to QUB has never mentioned any trouble to me while attending university up there.
Even 20 years ago it was safe for students staying in south Belfast, the student area & city centre is just as safe as any other city really so don't worry.
Reply 28
1) In the university area you will not be involved with any paramilitary groups.
2)Yes there are areas in belfast that are mainly catholic or mainly protestant. I however disagree with the person above and would say that the university area, in particular the holylands are made of of mainly catholic students. However there are still protestant students who are treated no different and no issue is made about religion among the students. I really need to stress the point that the places you are going to be living will be made up of STUDENTS, it doesn't matter if they are catholic or protestant, tbh no one is interested. As students all we want to do is have fun and do well in our degrees.
3) seriously?? the majority of the students who move out are not from belfast. Me and my friends who are from belfast are a minority. My wider group of friends are from all over the country.
4) I can understand your concern if your coming from a small town but Belfast is not as rough as a lot of other cities in the UK. Its the same with anywhere, as long as your are not attracting trouble you will be grand.

p.s as I said it won't make a difference if your in a catholic or protestant area but if you still feel that it is a major issue then I'll give you a short overview. The holyland/ormeau road area (these are shown in the gumtree link) is a mainly Catholic student area but there are still a lot of protestants here. Protestants tend to live more toward the lisburn road direction but again I know plenty of catholics here. The stranmillis area tends to be more mixed with probably slightly more protestants.

Apologies, I kind of forgot about the Holy Lands. I was thinking more of Elms which is where almost all first years live, which is situated in the Stranmillis area, which is marginally more protestant.

The protestant/catholic thing only matters in extreme areas. I live in a predominantly protestant area, yet my next door neighbours are Roman Catholics. The university area is another such area where it doesn't matter.
Reply 29
Original post by tbag1
Apologies, I kind of forgot about the Holy Lands. I was thinking more of Elms which is where almost all first years live, which is situated in the Stranmillis area, which is marginally more protestant.

The protestant/catholic thing only matters in extreme areas. I live in a predominantly protestant area, yet my next door neighbours are Roman Catholics. The university area is another such area where it doesn't matter.

Yeah I totally agree. Op it really isn't an issue what religion you are when you live in the university area, literally no one cares :smile:
Reply 30
Yeah I totally agree. Op it really isn't an issue what religion you are when you live in the university area, literally no one cares :smile:

Is there ever any sectarianism goes on in the university area? Ie conflict between protestants and catholics?
Is there ever any sectarianism goes on in the university area? Ie conflict between protestants and catholics?

Just how many more of us do you need to ask this before you realise there isn't any?

There is none.

The university area is essentially sectarian free and is safe. Unless you plan to wonder around in a Rangers/Celtic top chanting, you will be fine.

Why are you so terrified? You make it sound like you're moving to Afghanistan.
Reply 32
You'll find Belfast is a lot more safe to live in compared to somewhere like London. Having lived there all my life I can honestly say it's fine - despite what many from outside NI think, including the papers.

If you are looking to live in a nice area try the Stranmillis/Botanic area near the university - it's all lovely and you'll find many students live round about. I use to live on Eglantine Avenue between the Malone Road and the Lisburn Road and it is a nice place to live.
Reply 33
Original post by Quoi?
You'll find Belfast is a lot more safe to live in compared to somewhere like London. Having lived there all my life I can honestly say it's fine - despite what many from outside NI think, including the papers.

If you are looking to live in a nice area try the Stranmillis/Botanic area near the university - it's all lovely and you'll find many students live round about. I use to live on Eglantine Avenue between the Malone Road and the Lisburn Road and it is a nice place to live.

Were you originally from Belfast?
Reply 34

NO!!! we have better things to do with our time....
Depends if you are Neil Lennon or not.

On a serious note, i know people who live there and they said its just like every other city you go to. In terms of the recent sectarian violence that has occurred, some friends said they havent had a problem with where they are staying etc.

you'll be fine.
Reply 36
Were you originally from Belfast?

Well I lived in Bangor until I was 12
Reply 37
Original post by Iain 815
Just how many more of us do you need to ask this before you realise there isn't any?

There is none.

The university area is essentially sectarian free and is safe. Unless you plan to wonder around in a Rangers/Celtic top chanting, you will be fine.

Why are you so terrified? You make it sound like you're moving to Afghanistan.

Im asking what I consider to be perfectly rational questions about a genuine concern.

I was just asking about the safety of Belfast for an outsider to different people in the thread, to see what different peoples' experiences were, to build up a picture of what its like.
(edited 12 years ago)
Im asking what I consider to be perfectly rational questions about a genuine concern.

I was just asking about the safety of Belfast for an outsider to different people in the thread, to see what different peoples' experiences were, to build up a picture of what its like.

everyone's told you the same thing, but you don't seem to be listening....
Reply 39

Did you live in halls in your first year?

Where would i look find accomodation? Gumtree?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending