The Student Room Group

The Downing Thread!

Well, just about every other college seems to have a thread, but we don't! Disclaimer: If we do, I can't find it, so please tell me...please?

Post here if you got an offer, tell us a bit about yourself, get to know each other, whatever!

I'll start: Im Alasdair, I'm 18, and I chose Downing (partly) because of the adjacent pizza restuarants! And the lovely architecture and surroundings and feelings of friendliness etc...but pizza was definitely a player... I've an AAB offer for NatSci Physical, and I intend to go on to study astrophysics. Now you!

Edit:
List Of Downingites '06!
NatSci:
Duke Flipside (Phys)
rpotter (Phys)
Kyle_S-C (Phys)
The_Hunter (Phys)

Law:
Emily87
Nuttybabe

English
Blue Fairy

Economics
indiekid
oscarwildecat

Maths
hinges

Medicine
thund734

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was just thinking that there was no Downing thread. But I've not heard, there's nothing on UCAS so I have no right to post here :rolleyes: . But go Downing, those pizza restaurants are nice!
Reply 2
I got an offer for phys natsci!

Im Rob, I'm 17. I choose downing because when I first looked at the map I saw the science site was called the downing site and realised that downing was right next to it. Being lazy this should allow me to roll out of bed into my lectures. In addition I really like the spacious look that downing had when I walked into it (and saw that there was a 5-a-side football pitch :biggrin: ). Again those pizza restaurants meant that I knew downing was the right place for me :p: . I have an AA offer, and intend to go on to study physics.
i chose downing because it is lovely and pretty
... and was rejected this morning.

so now i hate downing.
Reply 4
Aww, unlucky. I was dreading opening the letter, I really didn't want to find a rejection...or a pool either, actually.

Rpotter; Only two subjects? What're you doing, A-levels or something different? I'm not too familiar with the English system :confused:
I know what you mean about the spacious look though...I even made a panorama on the Open Day! I'll dig it out...

Edit: There we go! Pointless, I know, but I'm still kinda in shock from the whole actually-getting-an-offer business...Anyhoo, file's about 850kb so don't go clicking if you've a slow connection...or if you do, be prepared t'wait! And yes, you read the filename right, that is the small version...
Reply 5
Duke Flipside

Rpotter; Only two subjects? What're you doing, A-levels or something different? I'm not too familiar with the English system :confused:
I know what you mean about the spacious look though...I even made a panorama on the Open Day! I'll dig it out...

Edit: There we go! Pointless, I know, but I'm still kinda in shock from the whole actually-getting-an-offer business...Anyhoo, file's about 850kb so don't go clicking if you've a slow connection...or if you do, be prepared t'wait! And yes, you read the filename right, that is the small version...

Like the panorama!

I am doing A-levels, but I did my maths A2 last year, so they have only asked me for two As from my remaining three.
Reply 6
Hehe, thanks! I wasn't sure I'd ever see Downing again...was dithering between Emma and Downing at that point (pizza's great, but so are ducks...) so I thought I'd try and preserve the memories...Now I don't have to :biggrin:

Ahh, I see! Crazy English-ness...
Reply 7
Hey,

I'll be a Law student there in October :smile:

I'm 18 as I'm on a sort of gap year at the moment studying in the US.

It's really cool to finally hear from some of the people who'll be in my year!

Any Downing lawyers?

Emily
Reply 8
Duke Flipside
Hehe, thanks! I wasn't sure I'd ever see Downing again...was dithering between Emma and Downing at that point (pizza's great, but so are ducks...) so I thought I'd try and preserve the memories...Now I don't have to :biggrin:

Ahh, I see! Crazy English-ness...

omg, same, couldn't make my mind up between downing or emma, just loved those ducks! But in the end went for downing because it was just that bit more spacious, and well slightly easier to get into
Reply 9
Hey Emily87, nice to meet ya! No lawyers here yet, but I'm sure some more will turn up...*looks around expectantly*

I'm actually quite gutted...I filled out the Pomona scholarship thingy, and intended to take it with me on the interview day and hand it in when I was there...and I forgot to take it with me, and now the deadline's passed :frown:
Ah well, what can you do I suppose?

Is Downing easier than Emma? I didn't really compare figures :confused:
Reply 10
Duke Flipside

Well i didnt either, but a guy from my school applied for natsci to emma a couple of years ago, and got pooled, got into another college and got a first in his first year. Admittedly that was a very competitive year for natsci at emma, however my school weren't that keen on me applying there, and nor was I after hearing that
Reply 11
:confused:
Learn something new every day...
I know I'm gatecrashing but i'm tipsy and le duke and I know each other - we were thinking an inter-college "world's giant doctor" a la scrubs competition?
Reply 13
friendlyneutron
I know I'm gatecrashing but i'm tipsy and le duke and I know each other - we were thinking an inter-college "world's giant doctor" a la scrubs competition?

Hey! We might be friends, but I'm going to have the security guard tackle you 'till you're blue in the face!

But yeah, we need to see if we can get a World's Most Giant Doctor To End All World's Most Giant Doctors...
Treatment through the top-floor window of Addenbrooke's, anyone?

Edit: Of course, we'll need the engineers to build us an exoskeleton...This is Cambridge; no half-measures!
Don't listen to him; he's drunk on cheese!
Reply 15
friendlyneutron
Don't listen to him; he's drunk on cheese!

...with every bite, I love it more!

But seriously, get out my thread! None of your double-barreled Sydney-Sussexness wanted here! Skip away, skip away...
Reply 16
Duke Flipside
Hey Emily87, nice to meet ya! No lawyers here yet, but I'm sure some more will turn up...*looks around expectantly*

I'm actually quite gutted...I filled out the Pomona scholarship thingy, and intended to take it with me on the interview day and hand it in when I was there...and I forgot to take it with me, and now the deadline's passed :frown:
Ah well, what can you do I suppose?

Ah shame, I sent it after interview and didn't expect anything. When the tutorial and admissions office called the afternoon of the day I got my letter I thought for one horrible moment they were about to say 'I'm awfully sorry but we made a mistake...'

I almost applied to Girton (then saw the distance) then to Peterhouse (then remembered I'd been in small places all my life) then to Newnham (and thankfully finally realised I should apply to Downing). Yep - I agonised way too much over choosing a college!
skip, skip, skip to maloo.

Lucky for you, revenge is a dish best served cold... not unlike this tapioca pudding.
Reply 18
Heh, I just flicked through the Uni prospectus while sitting on a bench in the Downing site on the Open Day, and for some reason folded the corner of Downing's page...Had a look round later in the day, and that was me set! (Well, other than the agonising over ducks Vs pizza, I mean...)

friendlyneutron; You must be wondering whether you'll get a trick, or a treat. Well, you're getting a trick...
Reply 19
Are there any other successful downing applicants out there? Seems like everyone else has got pooled.

Latest

Trending

Trending