The Student Room Group

Why Should you take a BTEC?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Nursing for example is 1 part theory to 1 part practical. A-Level students shouldnt be considered if they are assessed purely on exams, and not clinical skills etc and simply wont be prepared for whats expected at degree level. Doing it rite derp? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sagacious
see below

They work on percentages; ie, if 20% of your work is found to be copied from an external source then it is plagiarism.

That seems stupidly high for it. I've never known any institution/exam board or country for that matter use a percent. It has always been number of words.

Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths? Do you seriously think you can just read a book/remember things and ace them four exams? If you do then please don't respond as you will just be spouting rubbish.

Me spouting rubbish, seriously you need to read what you just said as you basically just said a way of revision. and especially with Maths all the formulas are in a book, so you have to read them and understand them. So as long as you remember how to do them, you are fine. You only get marks on what you know at the time and if it is what the examiner wants.

I did a BTEC at GCSE and it was terrible. I could've finished the course within two weeks if I put my mind to it. I found myself playing games on many occasions. Whilst I know that BTEC's at A-Level will be considerably harder, the format is still the same (100% coursework).

GCSE who gives a **** about GCSE, and I've taught BTECs at A Level and can tell you now they are not doss subjects, they actually require a HELL of lot more work and actually prepare for university far more than A Levels ever will in terms of being able to do indpendant research and research in general, if you actually look at statistics that have been published by some universities, you can see that BTEC students tend to do better than expected in their first year than A Level students, and most contribute this down to the fact that BTEC students are more suited to the way universities operate.

Out of curiosity what did you get for BTEC you did at GCSE?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by clareramos
That seems stupidly high for it. I've never known any institution/exam board or country for that matter use a percent. It has always been number of words.

The number was just made up but they do work on percentages as far as I'm aware. Either way, it does the same job, so forget that.

Me spouting rubbish, seriously you need to read what you just said as you basically just said a way of revision. and especially with Maths all the formulas are in a book, so you have to read them and understand them. So as long as you remember how to do them, you are fine. You only get marks on what you know at the time and if it is what the examiner wants.

The whole point of Mathematics is to apply what you know, not just remember it. That's one of the reasons most people struggle with it. Maths is a sequential subject, for example; to do well in Core 3 and 4, you need to be brilliant at Core 1 and 2 or else you have no foundations and as a result, will crumble. So please don't make Maths out to be a 'remember it now, then forget it later' subject because it's not. Did you take an A-Level in Maths by any chance?

What the examiner wants? In Maths, the examiner will always expect 2+2 to be 4. He will always expect the differential of 2x^2 to be 4x...

GCSE who gives a **** about GCSE, and I've taught BTECs at A Level and can tell you now they are not doss subjects, they actually require a HELL of lot more work and actually prepare for university far more than A Levels ever will in terms of being able to do indpendant research and research in general, if you actually look at statistics that have been published by some universities, you can see that BTEC students tend to do better than expected in their first year than A Level students, and most contribute this down to the fact that BTEC students are more suited to the way universities operate.

I agree, some BTEC's are challenging. However, it's ridiculous to say the difficulty of a BTEC is on the same level as the difficulty of Maths and Science. You can get on a BTEC course without hardly any qualifications (they like a C in English and Maths but I know plenty of people who aren't even close to that, but are still doing a BTEC).

Also, if you think a BTEC requires more work than Further Mathematics/Science then you're fooling yourself. I have 12 study periods at my school, 8 of them are spent on Maths and the other 4 are spent on Electronics/Physics. All my friends who are doing BTEC's (predicted Distinctions) are in the pub all of the time.

Out of curiosity what did you get for BTEC you did at GCSE?

D*

:biggrin:
Reply 83
Like I said - a GCSE level BTEC isn't really a good way to judge BTEC's (as a whole) because they're at several different levels, refer to my last post. I notice on this forum that a lot of people base their opinion on how easy BTEC is through either what they "heard" or some crappy First Certificate they did alongside their GCSEs which are a doss tbh.
Reply 84
If you take BTEC rather than A-levels, you are an academic failure. Simple.
Reply 85
Original post by Gutsman

=/
Original post by Gutsman

yet people who have done BTECs actually seem to be better suited to doing degrees, and tend to do better than expected at them? Explian that.

BTECs are actually very academic as they are often about research and actually doing stuff, which last time I remembered is what you actually do at university and what academics do?
Reply 87
Original post by clareramos
I did skim read it. as I was trying to actually organising the logistics of a new BTEC course whilst looking on here. Sorry to the OP.

Under new plans universities will have to accept BTECs, if current plans go through, may take a few years though.

Dippy Dip, I do understand the difference, I very much understand the difference.

:eek: you had to be told twice!

BTEC are want you make of them. However i can understand why A level students portray them to be for stupid, cause unfortunately most stereotype people do the course. When i have some free time i will update this thread.

:laugh: Got to love A level students though thinking their above us
Reply 88
Original post by Gutsman

"I got all As in my A-levels, and that's never helped me much with getting a career, to be honest. A-levels are just the entry way to undergraduate stories and not much more. "

So A-Levels are little more than tickets to degrees, and BTECs (removed, you did say choosing them against A-levels) are for academic failures? Wow, your one pessimistic individual :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pep_
"I got all As in my A-levels, and that's never helped me much with getting a career, to be honest. A-levels are just the entry way to undergraduate stories and not much more. "

So A-Levels are little more than tickets to degrees, and BTECs (even the level 5s being mentioned) are for academic failures? Wow, your one pessimistic individual :wink:

agree with that. BTECs actually are far better for you career wise and can actually benefit you doing a degree as well. A Levels really need to be looked at again, as they used to be a lot better than they now are.
Original post by ComputerTune
:eek: you had to be told twice!

BTEC are want you make of them. However i can understand why A level students portray them to be for stupid, cause unfortunately most stereotype people do the course. When i have some free time i will update this thread.

:laugh: Got to love A level students though thinking their above us

I said sorry ... eventually.

Think that says it all about free time, and that BTECs actually take up time.

I got in to uni based on BTEC I was doing, and got A Levels after uni, and now just got an immediate pass for my PhD. Now a Doctor :smile: haha
Reply 91
Original post by adam271
=/

Original post by Pep_

So A-Levels are little more than tickets to degrees, and BTECs (removed, you did say choosing them against A-levels) are for academic failures? Wow, your one pessimistic individual :wink:

Starve the troll. Starve the troll....
Reply 92
It's funny how BTEC drones regurgitate the propaganda that they are doing decent qualifications "equal to" or "better than" A-levels. MegaLOL
Reply 93
Your the guy whos never been employed right?
Original post by Gutsman
It's funny how BTEC drones regurgitate the propaganda that they are doing decent qualifications "equal to" or "better than" A-levels. MegaLOL

That's because if you look at official documents they ARE equal to A Levels.
Original post by xlizx
Most of the people in my class had done well in there GCSE's and did a BTEC as they had been advised that it was a good route into nursing which it has been for most of us, 90% of my class have places to at uni for nursing and midwifery in september including me.

I'm hoping to do nursing so took a BTEC too with the BTEC you got the chance to get lots of experience which you wouldn't have the time to really do if you were doing A-Levels.

Thanks to my BTEC course:

- I have a job as a HCA which I accquired after a placement.
- I have been on 3 placements and will have completed 4 after completing my course.
Reply 96
BTEC's are probably one of the best things you can do. If you have a dead set idea on what you want to do after education, its all the better as I'd argue you can learn more in a BTEC as you spend months on one topic writing essay after essay - good prep for uni too in that sense.

My friend got DDD (Of which english was his second language and at break time and free periods he would play games on computers. He also worked all weekend too). He passed his triple D with ease and is now at UCLan in a triple A course. No way in hell you could get all A's at alevel with the minimal work he put in.
Reply 97
Original post by TheDubs
BTEC's are probably one of the best things you can do. If you have a dead set idea on what you want to do after education, its all the better as I'd argue you can learn more in a BTEC as you spend months on one topic writing essay after essay - good prep for uni too in that sense.

My friend got DDD (Of which english was his second language and at break time and free periods he would play games on computers. He also worked all weekend too). He passed his triple D with ease and is now at UCLan in a triple A course. No way in hell you could get all A's at alevel with the minimal work he put in.

That can't be right UCLan doesnt have any course that AAA, What course is he studying?
Reply 98
Original post by FinalMH
That can't be right UCLan doesnt have any course that AAA, What course is he studying?

Physiotherapy. Just asked him and he was told to get AAB or equivalent for the 2011 entry. Points still the same, thats a very high offer.
Reply 99
Original post by TheDubs
Physiotherapy. Just asked him and he was told to get AAB or equivalent for the 2011 entry. Points still the same, thats a very high offer.

your friend was bull****ting you.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/information/courses/bsc_hons_physiotherapy.php

Well it is now lower at ABB i think your friend was lying.

and no the points aint the same :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending