The Student Room Group

Cambridge Natural Sciences (NatSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Supermerp
I think the course is better presented. A lot of people end up really liking geology and continuing it into 2nd year and beyond. Some of them get really fanatical about it. I think to get fanatical about Materials after the 1st year you have to be crazy about it to start with.

I think part of the problem is that to study materials you need a grounding in a fair chunk of pretty dull stuff and since a lot of the people who do materials are just killing time until a physics-packed second year they don't really see the point. But the materials department does actually sound quite fun since (probably partly as a result of the awful first year) it's a nice small department. With bags of cash.

I should add that I took materials 3 years ago. Stuff might have improved. But probably not to the extent that materials gets more people liking it than geology.

Hmmm, I read a book on materials science, it seemed to tie into physics quite well. Who knows. Out of curiosity when do you get to make these choices on subjects?
Reply 81
steelmole
Hmmm, I read a book on materials science, it seemed to tie into physics quite well. Who knows. Out of curiosity when do you get to make these choices on subjects?
You might get asked to put provisional choices down at some point but I don't think it really matters until you actually get here and your DoS talks to you and then sorts out supervisions. And it's still possible to change for a while after that, depending on how flexible the supervision arrangements are.

I was going to say that it's probably possible to switch any time until whatever time it is in Lent term that you have to submit your exam entry forms. But I'm not sure it's true and anyway by doing that you won't have done any of the assessed practical stuff.
steelmole

Do you mean when do you get to choose your first year options? Probably you'll discuss it with your Director of Studies at the start of the year (so...about 2 days before term starts) and decide then, though you should have a pretty good idea of what you want to do before then. Your DoS might e-mail you a few weeks before you come to Cambridge to ask what you think you're likely to choose, so they can organise supervisors and whatnot. And you can usually change options within the first few weeks if you think you've made the wrong choice.

Edit: beaten to it!!!
Reply 83
MaryMoo
:cool: Yay for all of us naive fools, that want to go into research and find a cure for Cancer :p:

I'm going to join the naive fools club :cool: We'll still have fun though in our research jobs...... errrr, with no money :p:
Reply 84
faik_kheft
Edit: beaten to it!!!
Do you have exams that you're meant to be revising for?

I do, which is why I'm reading TSR all the time and quick with helpful and fascinating posts :frown:
Reply 85
MaryMoo
:cool: Yay for all of us naive fools, that want to go into research and find a cure for Cancer :p:

lol thats exactly wot i said in my PS and in my additional cam form - how did you know? *shifty eyes* :eek:

PS i didnt call myself a naive fool btw, just the bits after
pretzel89
Well paid? Industry. Work for a large corporation.

In demand?..... Physics teacher :biggrin:

Good? Nice research that pays reaaaally badly and is a bit risky in the job prospects. And what I want to do.... naive fooool that I am :cool:

What sort of jobs in industry ? Sorry, I know nothing about all this. I'm a research guy myself. I love Science and I'd love to research and improve on it, but....the pay and the job prospects put me off it slightly.

See, I'm an intelligent student (if I say so myself). I could either go into Investment banking and be earning 100k a year when I'm 25. I could also go into research, which is what I'm passionate about. However, I don't want to look back when I'm 35, earning 30k a year, and think I've squandered an oppurtunity.
Supermerp

I do, which is why I'm reading TSR all the time and quick with helpful and fascinating posts :frown:

I do, hence my increased posting rate.
Reply 88
The_Adarshster
I could also go into research, which is what I'm passionate about. However, I don't want to look back when I'm 35, earning 30k a year, and think I've squandered an oppurtunity.
If research is what you're passionate about but you go and get a City job, maybe you'll look back when you're 35, sitting in your large house in Buckinghamshire after working a 15 hour day and think that you've squandered an opportunity.

But there's nothing wrong with wanting the money. And your mind can change a lot while at university anyway.
Reply 89
You can first get lots of money, leave investment banking or whatever by 35 and THEN do research... that way you get the best of both worlds :biggrin:
Reply 90
Well, you can still go into investment banking/accountancy/consultancy etc (all the big money rollers in the City) even after you do a NatSci degree (though it would probably be more advantageous to have done a maths/economics degree). Then while you're at uni you can really think about what suits you best. Your priorities may very well change in a few years' time.

I personally wouldn't know what to do with the money if I go into investment banking! If I can live comfortably then I don't really want a surplus of money; for one thing, investment bankers never seem to have the time to actually enjoy what they earn because of their ridiculous working hours.

And I may be wrong, but if you go into industry isn't your salary higher than in academia?

Maybe I'll go into research, earn a measly wage then just marry an investment banker :proud:
Reply 91
Supermerp, are you a 4th year?

It is possible to change after a term; my friend and I chnged from QB to EMB, but since it was an easier version of the same subject, it wasn't a problem. I would imagine for different subjects it would be incredibly difficult.
Supermerp

Funnily enough, yes. Like, tomorrow :p:
Reply 93
*Joanna*
Supermerp, are you a 4th year?Yes :smile:

faik_kheft
yes. Like, tomorrow
I'm terribly sorry :frown: I have them yesterday, today and tomorrow. But then I'm free! Until I start my project.
Reply 94
You can't go into investment banking and then into research - no-one would have you anyway, I suppose you could if you'd make enough to finance it yourself. You could do it the over way round though.

If you want to be a scientist you won't make a shed-load of money (except maybe working for BP or Schlumberger or something - the scientific equilavent of selling your soul...)- there are perks: it is (arguably) enjoyable and fulfilling, you get to go to conferences in Hawaii, etc - but if you're just into making money you should probably just do an economics degree and go into IB...In principle though there is nothing wrong with the natural sciences degree as a springboard for the big careers, I'm sure many people do go to the city, but the impression I get is that, initially at least, most people are actually passionate about science and want to become scientists proper.

Also, Materials is incredibly dull - like all the worst bits of Physics rolled into one course (apparently), however I know at least 4 people in my college who planned to do in 1B so it can't be all that bad. Geology on the other hand is ace - well lectured, includes a fun field trip, really relaxed practicals, etc.
I do want to be a scientist, but I want to go into a job that pays reasonably well. Around 40 K will do.
I'd like to be a scientist, though that may change. I reckon I could live on 20k.
Reply 97
Like most other people here I'd love to have the best of both worlds :smile: I can't imagine doing something else and enjoying it as much as a career in research, but the money is an issue for me. One of my maths teachers last year said that a close friend of his studied physics at university and ended up in investment banking, apparently has a flat in Chelsea; so people do go in that direction. But anything in finance/office-related would be boring as hell.
Reply 98
The_Adarshster
I do want to be a scientist, but I want to go into a job that pays reasonably well. Around 40 K will do.

I'd say a PhD student (in London) maybe earns around 20k and a researcg fellow perhaps 30k so 40k is probably just about reasonable in academia. If you go work in industry, but still researching, or strike it lucky and win some prize obviously you can be rolling in it...
Reply 99
MC REN
I'd say a PhD student (in London) maybe earns around 20k
My friend is thinking about a PhD in London which would give her a bit above £20k because of additional sponsorship but that's because she wants to do something biophysicsy and to quote an academic I heard talking about money once, if medicine is involved "money falls like rain from the sky".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending