The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Good luck to anyone who has interviews!

Just got back from mine, and I feel quite positive about it (I'll get rejected now I've said that...) but they are geniunely soo nice. Everybody wants you to do well, and you can tell that in the interview which definitely helps the stress levels. The tour is really good to relax and get to know fellow interviewees - helps the nerve racking wait before the interview if you can chat away :smile: Even if you've already seen everything, go on the tour anyway!
Reply 381
Original post by twelve

Just got back from mine, and I feel quite positive about it (I'll get rejected now I've said that...) but they are geniunely soo nice. Everybody wants you to do well, and you can tell that in the interview which definitely helps the stress levels. The tour is really good to relax and get to know fellow interviewees - helps the nerve racking wait before the interview if you can chat away :smile: Even if you've already seen everything, go on the tour anyway!

:yep: Definitely recommend going for the tour!
Original post by twelve

Glad to hear it!!! Well done! Now to relax. :biggrin:
Reply 383
Just looked on the stalking page, someone has an interview with ukcat of 632.5?! tell me this isnt true.. have you guys figured out the cut off yet? :smile: please tell me its higher than 690!!
Original post by rozca
Just looked on the stalking page, someone has an interview with ukcat of 632.5?! tell me this isnt true.. have you guys figured out the cut off yet? :smile: please tell me its higher than 690!!

Why?

And they could be on the access scheme SOAMs
Reply 385
Original post by IamBeowulf
Why?

And they could be on the access scheme SOAMs

..otherwise i'll regret not applying here! so do you know what the lowest ukcat scores people with interviews have? (not including any schemes)
Original post by rozca
..otherwise i'll regret not applying here! so do you know what the lowest ukcat scores people with interviews have? (not including any schemes)

nope, sorry
Reply 387
There is also a scheme like COMPACT which is a scheme that helps you get an interview without taking your UKCAT into account.
Reply 388
Original post by rozca

I got 653 and have an interview on Friday. why do you want the cutoff higher?
Original post by Angelmail

Probably got a high score and wants better chances or something. Maybe sheffield's realised that ukcat above 700 doesn't mean you're going to become a good doctor.
Reply 390

Original post by areebmazhar
Probably got a high score and wants better chances or something. Maybe sheffield's realised that ukcat above 700 doesn't mean you're going to become a good doctor.

No, you're both misunderstanding. If she realised that the UKCAT cutoff was below 700 she might have actually applied to Sheffield, instead of thinking she wouldn't meet the cutoff and not bothering.
Original post by rozca

That's me. I don't know, reckon they must be putting less emphasis on UKCAT this year. :smile:

Wasn't on any scheme's or anything.
has anyone recieved interviews for the 6 yr course? Im a graduate so i could be further down the list...
Original post by bmnbmn101

No, you're both misunderstanding. If she realised that the UKCAT cutoff was below 700 she might have actually applied to Sheffield, instead of thinking she wouldn't meet the cutoff and not bothering.

Misunderstood your original point, sorry :smile:
Reply 394

Thanks for clarifying for me, this is exactly what i meant :smile: . I didn't apply last year with 697.5 and its a good job i didnt as the cut off was 20 higher! and this year i did worse, 687.5.. and again didn't apply as i didn't want to take the risk, especially as a reapplicant. Now i am gutted that people with much lower scores have interviews. Good luck to you all though, its not nice being rejected.. as i know too well :L .
Reply 395
Original post by rozca
Thanks for clarifying for me, this is exactly what i meant :smile: . I didn't apply last year with 697.5 and its a good job i didnt as the cut off was 20 higher! and this year i did worse, 687.5.. and again didn't apply as i didn't want to take the risk, especially as a reapplicant. Now i am gutted that people with much lower scores have interviews. Good luck to you all though, its not nice being rejected.. as i know too well :L .

Best of luck for your applications this time round! :smile:
when do Sheffield start sending out rejections? No one has got one yet have they?
Reply 397
Original post by Vulpes
Best of luck for your applications this time round! :smile:

thank you :smile:
Reply 398
Original post by lcsurfer
has anyone recieved interviews for the 6 yr course? Im a graduate so i could be further down the list...

I also applied to the Medicine Foundation Year course. No interview/rejection for me so far.
On the website it says you should hear back after interview within 3 weeks. (http://www.shef.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/whathappens.html)

Does them giving out offers as they go potentially mean that the people with later interviews may have less of a chance? For example if they've already given out 90% of the number of offers they intend to give with still loads left to interview... do you think? or do you think they'll have a good idea how many offers to give per "batch" of interviews? Do you think they give a lot of people the "waiting list" response in order to allow for more/less people they like than predicted at a later time?

Sorry for so many questions :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending