The Student Room Group

Criteria for A* at A2?

What's the exact criteria?

In my Geography I had an A at AS, with a B in one exam, and a high A in another, If I get over 90% in both my A2 exams am I able to get an A*?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure about if you've got a B. I think you need 80%+ in AS Units and 90%+ in A2 units.
Original post by -aimz
Not sure about if you've got a B. I think you need 80%+ in AS Units and 90%+ in A2 units.

No. You need 80% overall and 90%+ in A2 units.

So you could get 60% on the ASs provided that you get 100% on the A2s.
Reply 3
A level overall 80%+ required

AS 60+ overall required
A2 90%+ overall required

these are UMS and not raw marks.

It is possible to get a low C in AS and get an A* overall :biggrin:

EDIT: Dont let others who say "oh no you only got a B at AS" since even though they may get an A at AS and you get a C it is possible for both of you to get A*

Aim high :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by -aimz

Original post by -aimz

Yes OP, basically this.

So that B might have ruined your chances :frown:

Edit: The negging was so uncalled for to be honest. I could have been wrong which was the reason why I used d word 'might'. Flipping hell
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
You have to get an A overall in A-level, and average 90% in your A2 units. Meaning that even if you got a B at AS, if you get at least 90%in all your A2 units you can still get an A* .

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/docs/circular/gce/2010/sif_23_10_circ.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Ok, I had 94% and 73%. So I'm guessing I can't get an A*. It's fine though, I'd be happy with an A as Geography isn't my strongest subject anyway, I was just wondering, thanks for the replies :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ...mo...
A level overall 80%+ required

AS 80+ overall required
A2 90%+ overall required

these are UMS and not raw marks.

It is possibel to get a low B in AS and get an A* overall :biggrin:

A2: 90% or more

The average of A2 and AS must be 80% or more.

So: 62% AS and 98% A2 = A*

It is possible to get a low C at AS and still be fine, a B won't have hurt his chances.
This has been done ad nauseum. Use search function please.
Reply 9
Original post by Lewis :D
Ok, I had 94% and 73%. So I'm guessing I can't get an A*. It's fine though, I'd be happy with an A as Geography isn't my strongest subject anyway, I was just wondering, thanks for the replies :smile:

No you will be fine, if you get the 90% in your A2 modules you will get an A*!!

If you get 90% at A2 then you will get an A*.
Reply 11
Original post by Extricated
This has been done ad nauseum. Use search function please.

I did, I'm not retarded, I searched and there were loads of threads on AQA Chemistry. Thanks for the intelligent input though! (y)
Original post by Ch1pp0
No you will be fine, if you get the 90% in your A2 modules you will get an A*!!

Original post by 1platinum
If you get 90% at A2 then you will get an A*.

Ok, thanks! I'll try and work hard in my A2 exams!
80% overall, with 90% average in A2 units (with the exception of maths where it's 90% in C3 and C4)

This question has been asked so many times, next time the search function can be used
Woah, so much misinformation in this thread!

The criteria for A* are as follows:

80% average across the entire A-level.
90% average across A2.

You don't need to get above 80/90% in each module, just on average. And providing you've achieved 70% in your AS, you won't need to worry about it in the slightest (as far as the A* goes). If you get 90% in your A2 - the minimum required for an A* - you will automatically achieve the 80% across the entire A-level.
I did, I'm not retarded, I searched and there were loads of threads on AQA Chemistry. Thanks for the intelligent input though! (y)

You used the search function in the top right corner? I was talking about using the search function on the a level forum where you would definitely get an answer.

(Y) ...Besides, don't bother looking at the a* boundary when you can't even use google/search function.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
[QUOTE="Extricated;33945460"]

You used the search function in the top right corner? I was talking about using the search function on the a level forum where you would definitely get an answer.

(Y) ...Besides, don't bother looking at the a* boundary when you can't even use google/search function.

I do apologise for offending you by creating a thread on an internet forum.
[QUOTE=":D;33945489" Lewis="Lewis"]
Original post by Extricated

I do apologise for offending you by creating a thread on an internet forum.

By the way what was your AS UMS?
Reply 17
[QUOTE="1platinum;33945543"]

By the way what was your AS UMS?

94 in my physical geography exam, and 73 in my human geography exam
Reply 18
Original post by Ch1pp0
A2: 90% or more

The average of A2 and AS must be 80% or more.

So: 62% AS and 98% A2 = A*

It is possible to get a low C at AS and still be fine, a B won't have hurt his chances.

Altough these may be possible it is highly unlikely unless there are certain reasons why they under acheived at AS. We are told to get as high as possible at AS and to try and hold it at A2, maybe even improve it with retakes.

Although it is mathamatically possible A2 work is much harder so you may get 58%at A2 not 98%
Reply 19
Original post by ...mo...
Altough these may be possible it is highly unlikely unless there are certain reasons why they under acheived at AS. We are told to get as high as possible at AS and to try and hold it at A2, maybe even improve it with retakes.

Although it is mathamatically possible A2 work is much harder so you may get 58%at A2 not 98%

I know it's unrealistic but wanted to show an extreme example because I'm fed up of people saying things like, "You only got 79% at AS, well you can't get an A* now.".

I also agree to try and get as high marks as possible at AS as those marks can be very useful if you don't get the 90s needed in A2.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest