The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone applying for Psychology? Think I want Aber as my second choice, but a little cautious on the whole accreditation thing. I loved it there but keep on heard that it's hard to get employed etc.

:s-smilie:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 21
Original post by Vitanova
I think this is the only Uni i'll be applying to now because I didn't get the predictions I wanted =|.
Anyone applying for BEng/Meng Software engineering?

I think i might!
I'm applying for Political Studies at Aber :smile:
I'm applying for astro physics...like a boss...no joke...not gonna lie...d in physics, c in maths, i am well in.
Reply 24
Applying for International Politics, heard so many good things about Aber !
Reply 25
It does look like an amazing Uni, I hope I can study here it looks great!

Anyone applied yet ?
Reply 26
Original post by Ryan765
It does look like an amazing Uni, I hope I can study here it looks great!

Anyone applied yet ?

I have :smile:
Reply 27
I shall be sending my application off within the next week I think. Just sorting out one or two small things and I shall be done.
The waiting starts then!

did people visit the Open day at the weekend just gone ?
If anybody missed anything from the Open Day, or couldn't attend - we are more than happy to answer your questions on here.
Reply 29
Original post by Aberystwyth University
If anybody missed anything from the Open Day, or couldn't attend - we are more than happy to answer your questions on here.

I sent my application off yesterday for History and Modern and Contemp History :smile: How long does it normally take to hear back from Aber?

Also, I am coming down at the end of the month to visit my girlfriend, will I be able to have a look around the university with her?
Reply 30
Original post by Ryan765
I shall be sending my application off within the next week I think. Just sorting out one or two small things and I shall be done.
The waiting starts then!

did people visit the Open day at the weekend just gone ?

Hiya, Yeah I visited at the weekend and as soon I got there I knew it was going to be my first choice! :smile:
Reply 31
I visted at the weekend too, I was impressed. Just waiting for meeting with this woman in college tomorrow, then the UCAS application will be handed to the college.
Then the waiting begins...
Aber's a great town, I've put it as my back up for Drama & Theatre Studies because it's really close to where I live (well, it's the second closest Uni to me after Bangor :tongue: )
Original post by Veren110
Anyone applying for Psychology? Think I want Aber as my second choice, but a little cautious on the whole accreditation thing. I loved it there but keep on heard that it's hard to get employed etc.

:s-smilie:

My psychology teacher at college knows Aber well and doesn't recommend it for Psychology.
Reply 34
application's sent off! ;D
Applying for a major/minor in economics and international politics. Anybody else applying for either?
I wasnt gonna apply here initially but I already have the 300 points and hopefully an unconditional before even taking any exams would be good as a backup.
Reply 36
Considering International Politics and The Third World... However, what scares me is that Aber is such a tiny town, far from London, therefore less work placement opportunities I believe, also probably poor nightlife, and they ask only 28 IB points which is the total minimum... I mean, is it really that good the course? My choices so far are Kings, Sheffield, York, Edinburgh amd Royal Holloway and I am not sure I would like to sacrifice any of those for uncertain option. I mean, I heard a lot about Aber IR department, but... I need to hear something really convincing besides that it has deep traditions or something. Could anyone help?
Original post by Eastern

Original post by Eastern
Considering International Politics and The Third World... However, what scares me is that Aber is such a tiny town, far from London, therefore less work placement opportunities I believe, also probably poor nightlife, and they ask only 28 IB points which is the total minimum... I mean, is it really that good the course? My choices so far are Kings, Sheffield, York, Edinburgh amd Royal Holloway and I am not sure I would like to sacrifice any of those for uncertain option. I mean, I heard a lot about Aber IR department, but... I need to hear something really convincing besides that it has deep traditions or something. Could anyone help?

You're also applying to Edinburgh. That's equally as far from London as Aber is - both will take you about 5 hours to get to London. Not that London is the be all and end all for work placement or internships, I'm just going with what your opinion seems to be from your post. Aber has entry requirements of 280 UCAS points for your course. Edinburgh technically only has entry requirements of 300 points.

Aberystwyth isn't for everyone, but then neither are all of your choices. York and RHUL are campus university - I would have hated to have gone to either of these places much more than I would have hated to have gone to Aber as I wanted to live somewhere when I went to uni rather than being stuck on a campus somewhere. As it turns out, I went to Edinburgh and had fallen in love with the city and university from when I went to the open day. Edinburgh isn't for everyone either, then neither is KCL due to the fact the students live all across London rather than in a more central place that's walk-able like in small university towns or cities. Basically, what I'm saying is that everywhere is different. Yes, Aber is smaller than London and subsequently will have less options in terms of night life but this doesn't mean the night life is poorer or you'll have a worse night out because of it.

Essentially, Aberystwyth is a small coastal town. Its very pretty and fairly compact, with the central area of the town spanning an area that is walk-able in about 5 minutes or so. The main university building is about 10 minutes walk from the centre of town and this is where a lot of the first year accommodation is located. Its about 3 hours on a slowish train to Birmingham going through beautiful countryside. When I visited there with my brother (who is applying) we both really liked it and its his first choice but like anywhere, it isn't for everyone. No one is forcing you to apply there - if you don't like the sound of it then don't bother to leave the places open to people who do want to go but from the reasoning you've given I'd also ensure you're happy with your other choices as they're so different to each other.
Reply 38
Thank you for your answer.

In terms of IB Edinburgh asks for 34-36, while Aber asks 28. Edinburgh itself is quite a city, comparable to London, especially because of its wonderful scenery, as you mentioned.

There is no difference for me whether it is a campus university or not. I believe also, that train to Birmingham costs quite a lot and takes even more time, so not every week's destination. On the other hand, the seashore in Aber is great.

I know no one is forcing me, you probably got my tone wrong. What I mean is that in terms of the course Aber really attracts me, however I have doubts regarding non-academical stuff.

And there are different things to be happy about at every of my chosen universities, I do not choose them according to strict list of criteria.

Thanks, again.
Hey all! I went to the open day weekend too (:, I have an unconditional for 2012 and did all the Open Daying last year, but I went again and stayed for 3 nights (have friends and my boyfriend there) amazing social scene too, just being there really felt like home to me. (:

Quick Reply

Latest