The Student Room Group

Should A level Maths be Complusory?

Scroll to see replies

Maths is fun? Matter of opinion. I'm sure you'd be peeved if you were suddenly made to study something you didn't like, and not everyone likes maths.
Most people who aren't planning a mathematical career are not going to need advanced maths at any point, a GCSE pass is sufficient enough.
In fact I doubt that I'll ever need half the stuff I learnt in GCSE either.
Reply 41
I can see why you'd think that. Making AS/A2 Maths compulsory is not too bad an idea. Its not so much the material, but more so the approach which is taken in solving mathematical problems.

Making it mandatory would definitely leave future A Levels better equipped in terms of practical skills for study of their other subjects (especially if they're academic subjects)

However, imposing that on the majority would have more negative effects than benefits on schools and students. Maybe the idea of having to do a Maths course alongside their favorite subjects would be unappealing to them and might put them off A Levels entirely. Also think about those just scraped a pass in GCSE Maths. They may not be able to cope with the A Level Maths syllabus.

Even if it did become mandatory, the entire system would have to be altered to compensate for the mixed abilities of students, rather than just having students with relatively high grades. Now how do you think that's going to affect the quality of teaching?

Aside from that, Think of the class sizes/ number of classes there would be! It just can't be done.
(edited 12 years ago)
A-level Maths isn't for improving basic numeracy skills, the prior 11 or so years of education is for that.
Reply 43
Some people find GCSE maths difficult, its not fair to make them go A level Maths as well which lwould look like a 'foreign language' to them. I don't do A level Maths but i'm pretty sure that the stuff taught there has almost no use to anyone in everyday life unless you want to do a maths based subject at university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Jiraiya is no liar
If you good at maths and numbers you can think on the spot literally your mind takes note of things which others do not.

As far as I can see it, a lot of people are not orientated in Maths.. they just don't like it and would rather stick to a written/arts based subject. Making A Level compulsory will more than likely just put more people off doing A Levels.. Or the standards of Maths slipping because people won't be motivated to do the work.
Reply 45
I think that decent numerical ability should be aimed for. However, many of the topics taught in A-Level Maths (no matter how much I enjoy them :tongue:) aren't too transferable to the real world.
Reply 46
Definitely not! Some people are naturally good at maths, others aren't. That doesn't mean they're stupid or don't try hard enough, some people just can't get their head round it. Maths isn't a very popular subject as it is, making it compulsory would just make this worse! I think everyone should have basic maths skills but that can be done at GCSE.
Original post by Tannu123
You say maths is like a foreign language?

so then why not make 'every' foreign language compulsory ?

Just because someone is not good, or does not do maths does not make them lazy.

believe me if i was in charge i would make foreign language compulsory. the rest of the world can speak two why cant we.
Reply 48
No. Your brain is either programmed to be good at maths or it's not. It's not fair to make EVERYONE pursue A-level maths, when a large portion of the population fail to get a C at GCSE.
Original post by Daniellejo.
Maths is fun? Matter of opinion. I'm sure you'd be peeved if you were suddenly made to study something you didn't like, and not everyone likes maths.
Most people who aren't planning a mathematical career are not going to need advanced maths at any point, a GCSE pass is sufficient enough.
In fact I doubt that I'll ever need half the stuff I learnt in GCSE either.

its the skills you gain from maths. you know how to work something out that takes steps. logical thinking. makes your decision making more sensible. surely this is what any job requires? someone who can think quickly and make the right choice potentially earning his company huge profits.
its the skills you gain from maths. you know how to work something out that takes steps. logical thinking. makes your decision making more sensible. surely this is what any job requires? someone who can think quickly and make the right choice potentially earning his company huge profits.

Then teach logic and critical thinking. Most of maths A level is following the correct formula anyway. Maths isn't numerical skills at all. You seem to have missed that point entirely.
x

How old are you, out of curiosity?
Original post by Bakes0011
Then teach logic and critical thinking. Most of maths A level is following the correct formula anyway. Maths isn't numerical skills at all. You seem to have missed that point entirely.

as a result of the numerical skills ie x+y=15 y=x+3 you gain logical thinking skills.
Original post by thecookiemonster
How old are you, out of curiosity?

im 18
Reply 54
x = 6
y = 9
Original post by edd360
x = 6
y = 9[/Q
FINALLY!
I see no need for most of the concepts that are used in A level maths in normal day to day life. People need to have a proper grasp on how to do all the simple things that you use every day like percentages, arithmetic, geometry (surprisingly useful!).
l0l english is easy if you read the right books throughout your education...

all of tht^ is easy if you enjoyed reading the book. all you have left is to comment on the purpose and effect which is easier.

form-free verse, black verse, ballad,sonnet,epic,villanelle
structure-end stopped lines, caesura, enjmabement, question marks
language- imagery,tone and mood, personification,alliteration,etc bloody endless list,hyperbole,onomatopoeia,assonance,.

and its really not hard to link context in...... just pick words which reflect major themes of the context in which the book was set.

ENGLISH LIT IS EASY. the hard part is finding examples,such as for personification. for which practice makes perfect. when reading a book you spot personification you become more confident. in maths the more equations you solve the more confident you get. but maths is generally harder than English as many people dont know the basics English though;they were born speaking and reading it.

For someone whose 'l' key is apparently broken, you've done well.
Many wouldn't be able to cope with A-Level Mathematics. It's a nice, but wholly unrealistic, idea.
Original post by britchick
I wish someone had advised me to take A-level Maths along with A-level Physics. I'm the only person in my A2 Physics class who doesn't do Maths and I'm struggling tremendously, whereas everyone else at least has an idea of what's going on and so they're able to do the work and I'm not. Biggest regret of my academic life.

my school won't let you take physics at unless you're doing at least AS Maths. it seems very unfair that no-one advised you on how important doing maths would be for your phsyics :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending