The Student Room Group

2012 applicants thread

Dentistry Applicants 2012

Hi everyone hope the revision is going on well. Tell us which universities you are hoping to apply to and what grades you got etc. :smile: Please put any useful articles, websites and university information which you think will benefit others on the thread All the best

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Teeth Whitening

How effective are bleaching techniques
for whitening teeth? Are there any
disadvantages or side effects?

Bleaching by definition actually changes natural tooth color. Nearly all bleaching products contain carbamide peroxide or its breakdown product hydrogen peroxide, which helps remove both deep (intrinsic) and surface (extrinsic) stains. Deep staining is seen commonly as a result of changes to the tooth due to natural aging, old root canal treatments, large fillings, tetracycline antibiotic or excess fluoride intake during development. Surface stains are caused by substances such as coffee, tea, red wine and tobacco. Over-the-counter, (OTC) products for home use have a lower concentration of the active ingredient which helps remove both types of stains. The American Dental Association reports that the accumulated data on neutral pH 10% carbamide peroxide supports both the safety and effectiveness of these home use products. The same carbamide or hydrogen peroxide bleaching agents are applied by your dentist. They are stronger, however, varying in concentrations from about 15% 35%, and sometimes used together with a specialized light or laser. This reportedly accelerates the process, down to a visit or two instead of two or three weeks for the home use OTC products. Bleaching attempts to whiten your natural teeth as opposed to improving whiteness with restorative materials like veneers and crowns which require removal of some of the tooth structure. Bleaching has proven to be a very effective method that involves less time and expense than restorative dental treatment.

While bleaching can dramatically improve your smile, there are some
potential side effects such as tooth sensitivity and irritation of the gums
or other oral tissues. These conditions are generally temporary with very
rare reports of irreversible damage. Tooth sensitivity tends to appear earlier
in treatment. When using the stronger professionally applied agents
the dentist will sometimes isolate the gums and soft tissues with a “rubber
dam” and/or protective gel.

When considering this technique, be aware of the following:

Bleaching is not a permanent solution: the effects will diminish over
time. Optimally, this period lasts six months to a year referred to
by dentists as the “fade rate.”
Although fading is inevitable, it is possible to slow down the process
by avoiding foods and habits that cause staining. Some patients
may need a tooth-whitening “touch-up” with the home bleaching
technique for 1-2 days, once or twice a year.
Acceptable color matching can be difficult to achieve due to the mix
of natural teeth with pre-existing crowns, bridgework or fillings.
Dentists can sometimes improve the color match by adjusting the
concentration of the bleaching gel, as well as the actual contact time
on the teeth.

While many over-the-counter whitening products produce successful
results, patients should still seek a professional consultation before
bleaching. Your dentist can discuss your cosmetic needs and review with
you all the risks, benefits and alternatives to bleaching.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2

NHS dental charges

There are three NHS charge bands.
Band 1: £17 includes an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
Band 2: £47 includes all treatment covered by Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
Band 3: £204 includes all treatment covered by Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are:

under 18
under 19 and in full-time education
pregnant or you’ve had a baby in the 12 months before treatment starts
staying in an NHS hospital and the hospital dentist carries out your treatment
an NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (although you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)

Implant Success Rate

Factors which can influence implant success

Implants traditionally have a very high success rate. The majority of studies that have been done indicate long-term
success rates well over 95%. However, there are many factors that can compromise the success rates of implants.
These can be divided into three categories: general health concerns, local factors and maintenance issues. It is
important to consult with your dentist or dental professional prior to having implants placed to determine whether
you are a good candidate. Most implant failures can be eliminated through proper case selection.

1. General health concerns that may impact an implant’s success include such factors as smoking, certain drugs,
osteoporosis, history of radiation treatment, or a compromised immune system.

2. Local factors that could impact implants include bone quality, bone quantity, and initial stability of the
implant at the time of placement. Bite-related concerns depend upon the amount of stress that the patient
will be placing on the implants. When evaluating an implant patient, your dentist has to evaluate whether
you clench or grind your teeth. This will impact both the potential short and long-term success of implants.

3. Finally there are maintenance issues, while implants are wonderful high-technology replacements for teeth,
they need routine maintenance. This includes daily cleaning and continued professional management.
Without ongoing professional care, implants just like any other technically sophisticated device are susceptible
to breakdown.

I believe that one should have confidence that implants are an excellent choice to replace missing teeth. How many implants you need, your medications, your medical history, and local findings such as bone quality and quantity need to be considered before implanting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3

Temporomandibular Disorder

Temporomandibular Disorder

Just like all joints, the Temporomandibular joint is stabilized by ligaments and moved by muscles. These structures allow the joint to move. TMD refers to problems inside the joint and the muscles attached to it.
The teeth, sinuses, neck and back muscles share nerves with the TM joint. When there is a problem in any one of them the nerves react and pain arises in the patient. The pain is caused by the muscles of the TM joint going into spasms. These spasms limit the ability to open the mouth. TMD can affect anyone at any time.

Causes of TMD
One main cause is stress. Dental patients with TMD show symptoms of teeth grinding and clenching, these are almost completely subconscious. The pain may come and go in times of stress.

There may be underlying dental conditions such as fillings. If a filling is a little high, it disrupts the bite and causes the teeth to make inappropriate contact.

Diagnosis
Common diagnoses that can cause TMD:
Underlying dental conditions
Internal joint derangement disc is out of position
Osteoarthritis joints cushioning has been lost, results in shape change of bones
Synovitis- swelling inside of the jaw joint

These causes require accurate testing to ensure proper treatment. This may include head and neck examination, blood tests, joint visualisation (through X-rays, CRTs, MRI scans)

Treatment
Treatment involves relieving the symptoms of discomfort: heat, pain killers, muscle relaxants and soft jaw exercises.
Bit Guards: appliance used that fits over the biting surfaces of the upper teeth. It prevents lower teeth grinding into the upper teeth therefore allowing the muscles and joints to relax. These treatments are reversible. Irreversible treatments which are only used in extreme cases are procedures like bite adjustment or at last resort, surgical treatment.

First year at leeds+international student here... Feel free to ask any question u might have....
I have an unconditional offer from bristol wooooooooooo anyone elsee ???
Reply 6
This is the place for you to post any information about dentistry applications, interviews and offers for the 2012 UCAS cycle.

It would be helpful if you made a signature of your stats and application status.

Please read the Interview Discussion announcement BEFORE posting.

Good luck everyone!!! :smile::smile::smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Let me introduce myself:

Scottish standard grades: 1,1,1,1,1,1

Scottish int 2's: A,A

Scottish highers: A,A,A,A,A,B

Scottish advanced highers: Awaiting outcome

UKCAT: 590 ( I bombed that :frown: )

Choices for 2011 UCAS cycle:

Glasgow........Firm
Manchester...Insurance
Newcastle.....Offer
Birmingham...Offer

Pharmacy......Offer

If anyone wants any help with their application just ask!
Reply 8
Original post by dentistry1
This is the place for you to post any information about dentistry applications, interviews and offers for the 2012 UCAS cycle.

It would be helpful if you made a signature of your stats and application status.

Please read the Interview Discussion announcement BEFORE posting.

Good luck everyone!!! :smile::smile::smile:

How do I change my signature? I hate this thing... vv ... my friends made it but I can't find out how to change it :/
Reply 9
haha, you guys are keen!
Reply 10
Original post by torchwood
haha, you guys are keen!

There is a medicine one already so I thought I may as well make a dentistry 2012 thread.
This threads just made things real! :-P
Hi Guys :biggrin:

How's everyone doing for work experience, finding it interesting?
I am applying for 2012 entry! Still not sure if I should apply for 5 year or 6 year courses and I still (after about 8 months of saying I will) haven't emailed the universities to find out which would be my best option.

I graduated last year with a 2.1 in technological education, which doesn't have much science involved in it.
Reply 14
Hmm, well this is for 2012 applicants, and I will be applying in 2013... but i'll definitely be doing some lurking here! :P
Reply 15
Original post by Alex_and_er
Hi Guys :biggrin:

How's everyone doing for work experience, finding it interesting?

im doing mine in summer holidays and some ongoing work exp starting next week how about you ?

BTW if anyone finds the articles useful tell me so I can post some more
Reply 16
Original post by Hello Laura!
I am applying for 2012 entry! Still not sure if I should apply for 5 year or 6 year courses and I still (after about 8 months of saying I will) haven't emailed the universities to find out which would be my best option.

I graduated last year with a 2.1 in technological education, which doesn't have much science involved in it.

If you didnt do bio and chmistry for a-levels then i think you should apply for the six year course, but you should check with the universities you are applying to good luck
Reply 17
Has anyone started revising for the UKCAT?
Reply 18
wow, you guys are keen :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Midnight_sun
im doing mine in summer holidays and some ongoing work exp starting next week how about you ?

BTW if anyone finds the articles useful tell me so I can post some more

The articles are good, but I don't think applicants would be expected to know information about stuff like that in so much detail. That's what they're there for, to teach you all that.

Quick Reply

Latest