The Student Room Group

2012 applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by lollipop14
They're applicants from previous years :smile:

But their interview dates are for later on this year :s-smilie: Or is that normal? Maybe I'm just really confused :tongue:
Original post by xPixie
But their interview dates are for later on this year :s-smilie: Or is that normal? Maybe I'm just really confused :tongue:

Very good point....I have absolutely no idea... :s
WAIT no i got it!! :biggrin: They're examples!! Not real people!! :P
Reply 383
Original post by lollipop14
WAIT no i got it!! :biggrin: They're examples!! Not real people!! :P

:lol: Oh my god! I feel sillay now :biggrin: :ninja:
Reply 384
Hey does anyone think I've got a chance with my crap UKCAT score? :frown:
GCSE- 5a*s 6as
AS -AAB
A2 predictions- AAA*
UKCAT -615
Original post by EveryLittleHelps.
I used the PS service on here and found it useless. They don't have many dental PS helpers on here and mine got checked by a medicine PS helper. The feedback was ridiculous and quite petty. The person who did mine obviously had too much time on their hands and tore apart every single sentence.

ask the user cocomango, gave me excellent feedback

are you all finished with your statements? anyone here yet to do their ukcat??
Reply 386
Original post by abc786
Hey does anyone think I've got a chance with my crap UKCAT score? :frown:
GCSE- 5a*s 6as
AS -AAB
A2 predictions- AAA*
UKCAT -615

Manchester don't use the UKCAT much and neither do Dundee. Newcastle tend not to care about a high UKCAT either - last year they wanted 600 or above. Although of course there are quite a few non-UKCAT unis too.
Reply 387
hey guys,
i got 7A'S and 4B'S at GCSE
and 4'A'S at AS
and predicted 4 A*'s at a-level

I was just wondering what would be my chances of getting into dentistry??
if you could help that would be great :biggrin:
Reply 388
Original post by misha_x
hey guys,
i got 7A'S and 4B'S at GCSE
and 4'A'S at AS
and predicted 4 A*'s at a-level

I was just wondering what would be my chances of getting into dentistry??
if you could help that would be great :biggrin:

If you want to ask a question then ask a question, but don't take the piss! :tongue:
Reply 389
i know this might seem like a stupid question..but whats the easiest dental school to get into?
they`re all aaa in entry requirements..but are any more lenient?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 390
Original post by mehta13
i know this might seem like a stupid question..but whats the easiest dental school to get into?
they`re all aab in entry requirements..but are any more lenient?

No they're all AAA. Except Glasgow which asks for AAB.

Easiest to get into is very subjective because entry requirements and selection policies vary from uni to uni. E.g. Someone with a UKCAT of 630 would find Sheffield a lot harder than Leeds - even though Leeds is the most competitive!

But based on competition (competition meaning the number of applicants per place available), Belfast has the lowest, followed by Dundee.

There's no such thing as leniency when it comes to entry requirements - but Kings do say they may even go down to BBB if you have extenuating circumstances and/or you go to a very poorly performing school.
Reply 391
Original post by butterfly123
last week i did my ukcat and got an average score of 660:frown:
could i still apply to kings and barts or do i not stand a chance there? (because i heard barts have a really high cut of mark)

Try look on the Barts website they usually publish the scores required. I only know that their cut-off in 2010 (2010 entry) was 638. As for Kings, it depends on your GCSEs.
Reply 392
could i still apply to kings and barts or do i not stand a chance there? (because i heard barts have a really high cut of mark)

Last year (for 2011 entry), King's had a higher cut of mark than Barts because King's ranked everyone via UKCAT score (something Barts was known for) and Barts took other criteria into considertaion.. During my interview, a girl said she got 630 in her UKCAT, so not all hope is lost. Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 393
thanks midnight_sun, these articles are really useful :smile:
Reply 394
Original post by Oral
Try look on the Barts website they usually publish the scores required. I only know that their cut-off in 2010 (2010 entry) was 638. As for Kings, it depends on your GCSEs.

do kings place a reli high emphasis on gcses??
Reply 395
Original post by mehta13
do kings place a reli high emphasis on gcses??

It would be good idea to call Kings to see what they're planning to do this year, since they did this last year:
Original post by xPixie
Last year (for 2011 entry), King's had a higher cut of mark than Barts because King's ranked everyone via UKCAT score (something Barts was known for) and Barts took other criteria into considertaion.. During my interview, a girl said she got 630 in her UKCAT, so not all hope is lost. Hope that helped :smile:

Having said that I called Kings last year and they said they wouldn't do anything like that! But really every Dental School's admissions department is is full of lying, bull****ting, ****ing ********s. They're a bunch of no-good ****ers so you so you shouldn't expect much.

Ahhh that felt good ! :biggrin:
Reply 396
Original post by Oral
It would be good idea to call Kings to see what they're planning to do this year, since they did this last year:

Having said that I called Kings last year and they said they wouldn't do anything like that! But really every Dental School's admissions department is is full of lying, bull****ting, ****ing ********s. They're a bunch of no-good ****ers so you so you shouldn't expect much.

Ahhh that felt good ! :biggrin:

lol !
I spoke to ppl at kings they said that 3 a`s matter most and they look at the whole holisitc view of the applicant incl educational context
Reply 397
heyy thanks!:smile: for my gcses i got 10A*'s and 5A's and for As level i got AAA/b and an A in critical thinking...
should i still apply to kings and barts?:frown:

Those are good grades. All in all I think you should apply. But as someone else said - you probably shouldn't focus on a few unis, because dentistry is so competitive it's wise to choose places that will be easier for you to get in. Having said that, I don't think Kings is a terrible choice with regards to the likelihood of getting an interview.

I recommend Dundee though, they don't care much about the UKCAT, they like good grades and they have a relatively low number of applicants per place. Then again I am biased!
Reply 398
heyy thanks!:smile: for my gcses i got 10A*'s and 5A's and for As level i got AAA/b and an A in critical thinking...
should i still apply to kings and barts?:frown:

I'm not too sure about King's as I'm not sure what the cut-off for UKCAT was for 2011 entry, but I would definitely consider Barts with those grades :smile:

hey, i applied last year with a ukcat score of 630 and got an iv with barts! my chem teacher also claimed the ukcat cut off score last year was "590" she seemed pretty sure of herself and when i asked her how she knew she couldnt tell me... but anyway ur academic results are v similar to mine so i dont see why u shouldnt apply for barts! hopefully ul get an iv and ur interviewers wont be as cold and stern as mine lol

Quick Reply

Latest