The Student Room Group

2012 applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

No, they just say A grades in maths, english and sciences...
Reply 581
Original post by *QueenBeee
THANK YOU so muchh!!! ohh, how come her IV didnt go very well???

im not sure why, i just remember he saying that about it at the time.. she said she messed it up a bit. clearly just an off day though if she got an offer from somewhere else!
Reply 582
Original post by undertaker1
'she got offers from other universities though'- which university's where these?

sheffield and kings i think.. i dont know for sure though!!!!
Reply 583
Original post by adam_johnson
hi, I just got a UKCAT score of 600 :frown: . do you guys know if Dundee Uni would consider me. I have AAAAA in my highers and am predicted AAA in my advanced highers?

I think that they would, however bad/good your ukcat score is they wouldn't just decide whether you get interviewed just based on your ukcat... that would be pointless as Dundee said " they try to be as fair as they can be"
P.s How are you predicted AAA in Adv Highers so soon?? :s-smilie:
P.p.s Also what Adv highers are you doing in 6th year?
Hey guys,

I need some help with deciding my university choices. My UKCAT didnt go really well and i got 570. I have 4 weeks of experience in GDP, 1 week in lab and a week abroad. I also have plenty of extra curricular activities, D of E, young enterprise and ....
GCSE: 5A* 5A 1B
AS grades: ABBB (resitting some modules)
A level prediction: AAA and EPQ

I think my options are: Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol and Glasgow. Leeds requires Chem and Bio at grades A in AS which Im hoping to get with resits.
Is my UKcat good enough for Glasgow?

What do you guys recommend as I'm still undecided??
Thank you
Original post by Patchey1000
I don't know? But there no harm in doing it early is there. AABB at AS predicted A*AA

Any acknowledgements so far? I've got on to the Aberdeen applicant portal for my application so far. Feels good.
I think that your UKCAT score should be okay for Glasgow. But, try to steer clear from any other UKCAT wanting universities. Birmingham, Liverpool, Glasgow should all be okay. I know that Leeds is extremely competitive and I'm not too sure about Bristol. Hope I've helped. :smile:
Hey everyone - I need some advice please. For now my choices for Dentistry on UCAS are Kings, Leeds, Newcastle and Manchester. However, because I got a high UKCAT (730 average) some people ie: college and my parents (and to some extent, myself) are advising me to use this to my advantage and apply for Sheffield where I would have a good chance of getting an interview. I've never been to Sheffield or Newcastle so I have no idea whether to swap these 2 choices. I don't know what the cities are like or anything so I don't know which I'd prefer. Should I be using this score to my advantage?
Original post by mikechg
I think that they would, however bad/good your ukcat score is they wouldn't just decide whether you get interviewed just based on your ukcat... that would be pointless as Dundee said " they try to be as fair as they can be"
P.s How are you predicted AAA in Adv Highers so soon?? :s-smilie:
P.p.s Also what Adv highers are you doing in 6th year?

our teachers do our predictions early

I'm doing AH biology, chemistry, maths
Original post by racheatworld
Hey everyone - I need some advice please. For now my choices for Dentistry on UCAS are Kings, Leeds, Newcastle and Manchester. However, because I got a high UKCAT (730 average) some people ie: college and my parents (and to some extent, myself) are advising me to use this to my advantage and apply for Sheffield where I would have a good chance of getting an interview. I've never been to Sheffield or Newcastle so I have no idea whether to swap these 2 choices. I don't know what the cities are like or anything so I don't know which I'd prefer. Should I be using this score to my advantage?

Hey, I would recommend using it to your advantage... I did well in UKCAT last year but didn't think about where to apply properly, and regret this as I got straight rejections from a couple of places that don't look at UKCAT. Besides, I've just started dentistry at Sheffield (which was my first choice) and I'm loving it so far!! :smile: However, if all of your other stats are strong and have your heart set on somewhere that doesn't use UKCAT then it shouldn't matter too much.

P.S. I'm from Newcastle and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of applying!
Original post by rachael2905
Hey, I would recommend using it to your advantage... I did well in UKCAT last year but didn't think about where to apply properly, and regret this as I got straight rejections from a couple of places that don't look at UKCAT. Besides, I've just started dentistry at Sheffield (which was my first choice) and I'm loving it so far!! :smile: However, if all of your other stats are strong and have your heart set on somewhere that doesn't use UKCAT then it shouldn't matter too much.

P.S. I'm from Newcastle and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of applying!

Thanks for the advice! I actually love all of my current choices, but I've heard nothing but great things about Sheffield as well from people I know that go there. Where were your rejections for, and why did they reject you? I'm quite strong academically and things and I'm only applying to Leeds that's non-UKCAT. Its just that Manchester and Newcastle use the UKCAT to a much lesser extent than Sheffield.
I'm hoping to apply for King's, Bristol, Bart's and Birmingham, with these grades:

A2: A*A*A*A (I sat one a year early, so I have the A - the others are predicted)
AS: AAAAA
GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAA
UKCAT: 715 (VR-660, QR-690, AR-700, DA-810)

I'm worried about what to do to show my manual dexterity. I play the clarinet, and my manual dexterity is quite good, but I don't really have anything I could take to an interview, which I know some places really like. Anyone got any ideas?

Original post by LoveNotHorcruxes
I'm hoping to apply for King's, Bristol, Bart's and Birmingham, with these grades:

A2: A*A*A*A (I sat one a year early, so I have the A - the others are predicted)
AS: AAAAA
GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAA
UKCAT: 715 (VR-660, QR-690, AR-700, DA-810)

I'm worried about what to do to show my manual dexterity. I play the clarinet, and my manual dexterity is quite good, but I don't really have anything I could take to an interview, which I know some places really like. Anyone got any ideas?

I think your perfectly good as it is. There isn't any requirement to take in items to interview. Just be ready to answer clarinet typr questions if there is an expert in the interview panel.
Reply 593
hey guys, so what should be our minimum ukcat average? and is there anyone applying for GEP? i got a 2.1 in biomed...is it advantageous to already have the academic requirements? :smile:
Original post by Weezy_F
hey guys, so what should be our minimum ukcat average? and is there anyone applying for GEP? i got a 2.1 in biomed...is it advantageous to already have the academic requirements? :smile:

minimum UKCAT depends on where you're thinking of applying, which universities do you have in mind?
Original post by Fire Point
I think your perfectly good as it is. There isn't any requirement to take in items to interview. Just be ready to answer clarinet typr questions if there is an expert in the interview panel.

Thank you! I have grade 6 in clarinet, so I'll hopefully be okay to answer any clarinet questions they could throw at me :smile:
Reply 596
Original post by Weezy_F

From the wise words of my career advisor.. I would try and aim for at least 650 to stand a good chance of getting an interview :smile:
Reply 597
thanx! well my 1st choice is Barts and the only one im really interested in, but im thinkin of applying to kings and perhaps UClan too; but if i dont get into Barts i'll be gutted so i want to almost tailor my app for them...so >650? :smile:

*also do you know what the Barts cut off was? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Weezy_F
thanx! well my 1st choice is Barts and the only one im really interested in, but im thinkin of applying to kings and perhaps UClan too; but if i dont get into Barts i'll be gutted so i want to almost tailor my app for them...so >650? :smile:

Yes.
Just get practising and sit the exam!
Reply 599
Original post by Fire Point
Yes.
Just get practising and sit the exam!

merci!! i'll take my mind of it and focus on the exam...on the 5th :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest