2012 applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Lucky Kam
have you done a degree already weezy?

hey, yeah :u: just graduated with a 2.1 from essex uni biomed... :smile:
Reply 781
Original post by parrs
What work experience have you done before sending the application off?

I've done it in a cosmetic practice an orthodontists and 2 NHS practices one general and one in a medical centre
Reply 782
Original post by undertaker1
kings offer AAB???

yeahh, but they said you need a high UKCAT and really good personal statement for this, i e-mailed and called them and they said the same thing so i hope the addmissions tutor has the same outlook!
Reply 783
just did my ukcat.

VR 550 FAIL (usually 600 in practice papers)
QR 700 WIN (usually 650 in practice papers)
AR 660 WIN (usually 600 in practice papers)
DA 630 FAIL (usually 700+ in practice papers)

GCSE: 4A*s (maths, physics, religious studies and panjabi), 5As (biology, chemistry, statistics, english language, history) , 2Bs (ICT, English literature) and a bloody C in french :frown:

predicted: AAA (Biology, Chemistry, Religious studies - philosophy and ethics)

I did Panjabi A level early and Got A*

volunteer work: WRVS charity shop and ward trolley service ( regulary at 2 different hospitals), currently training to become a first aider with st john ambulance

work experience: 2 weeks at pharmacy, 1 day a week over 4 weeks at hospital in india (A&E), 2 days a weeks over a period of 4 weeks at orthodontist in india, 1 day a week for 12 weeks at nhs dental practice

manual dexterity / hand eye coordination: i play the Harmonium, ( north indian/ panjabi drum) and made about 3 model cars

any ideas of what unis i should apply to ?
Reply 784
hey guys..did my uckat and got absolutely rubbish, got average of 550! i only had about 3 days to practice it cz i only decided that I would take a chance and apply this year about a week ago:| rather rushed i know, but i practiced from the 600 q's book. i highly doubt il get considered by any uni's this year so am gna be reapplying next year, but was wondering how can i improve on my ukcat score?! loads of you on here have got amazing scores, but i don't actually know how il be able to improve it for next year when i apply. if anyones got any tips of ideas i would be most grateful. Thanks!

oh and what is generally considered as a 'good' personal statement for dentistry. 'good' meaning not the typical applicant
Reply 785
Original post by HGS*
just did my ukcat.

VR 550 FAIL (usually 600 in practice papers)
QR 700 WIN (usually 650 in practice papers)
AR 660 WIN (usually 600 in practice papers)
DA 630 FAIL (usually 700+ in practice papers)

GCSE: 4A*s (maths, physics, religious studies and panjabi), 5As (biology, chemistry, statistics, english language, history) , 2Bs (ICT, English literature) and a bloody C in french :frown:

predicted: AAA (Biology, Chemistry, Religious studies - philosophy and ethics)

I did Panjabi A level early and Got A*

volunteer work: WRVS charity shop and ward trolley service ( regulary at 2 different hospitals), currently training to become a first aider with st john ambulance

work experience: 2 weeks at pharmacy, 1 day a week over 4 weeks at hospital in india (A&E), 2 days a weeks over a period of 4 weeks at orthodontist in india, 1 day a week for 12 weeks at nhs dental practice

manual dexterity / hand eye coordination: i play the Harmonium, ( north indian/ panjabi drum) and made about 3 model cars

any ideas of what unis i should apply to ?

i know its completely irrelevant to your question, but are you a girl or boy?
Reply 786
Original post by parrs
Think it's going to be low for any UKCAT university ... :frown:

You have excellent GCSEs, you should definitely apply to Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol (all of whom want high GCSE grades).

If you have good work experience and extra-curricular stuff, put in an application to Leeds.

Many of the unis say that they consider ukcat in combination with gcse grades, i.e. if your gcse grades are low but you have a high ukcat, you should still be considered. In theory the reverse should also apply,
are we not believing this?
Reply 787
Hey, just wondering if anyone has used the personal statement checker service on this website? Anygood?
Reply 788
Original post by R006
i know its completely irrelevant to your question, but are you a girl or boy?

any advice on where i should apply?
Reply 789
Original post by R_:)
Hey guys,
I got a very embarrassing ukcat -583:colondollar:..so does this mean I should stay away from Kings even though I seriously wanna go there? they look at the application as a whole right?

I have amazing work experience and work in a caring profession etc sooo do you think I should give it a go, or just apply to non ukcat uni's, like my other 3?

ps: my AS grades were "unexpected" shall we say.. AACCD:eek:, but I am retaking and am expecting A*AA

thanks!! :smile:

hey, in a very similar position to you! got similar AS's and have been predicted A*AB..got 8 months work exp, and a bad ukcat..and would die to go to kings! im stil gna give it a shot, and if i dnt get in anywhere will take re-apply with the grades next year but i think you should take a chance with King's cz they want genuinely dedicated applicants, so even if you're not the brightest spark compared to others you should still apply cz of you're amazing work experience! good luck!:smile:
Original post by poonam-p
yeahh, but they said you need a high UKCAT and really good personal statement for this, i e-mailed and called them and they said the same thing so i hope the addmissions tutor has the same outlook!

what was your ukcat score-its abit unusual because kings was rated no.1 this year for dentistry. you mite be right though

oh well good luck
Reply 791
so i did my ukcat last week and basically the comp crashed with an error message and i lost 6 mins on vr...ended up with an average of 670..

pearson vue said i cant retake..but they are 'investigating''

reli frustrated..cos i cud have got 730-750 i reckon

ive got 3 a* 7 a`s 2 b`s at gcse-- (not amazing results I know but i did best in the school and i know kcl place emphasis on how you do according to ur peer group)

i have pretty decent work exp, volunteering etc

i also have a certficate in finance (equivalent to As which i did with my gcses) and i did the diploma last year got an a in that..

sheffield accpet these 2 qualifications as equivalent to a-levels whereas other unis dont..is that a good enuf factor to apply to sheffield considering i need 3 a`s at the end of it anyway

im also applying to kcl and queen maryy

last 2 choices are out of bristol, b.gham, manchester, cardiff ,newcastle, sheffield

where do u think i shud apply??

any advice is much appreciated
Reply 792
Original post by mehta13
so i did my ukcat last week and basically the comp crashed with an error message and i lost 6 mins on vr...ended up with an average of 670..

pearson vue said i cant retake..but they are 'investigating''

reli frustrated..cos i cud have got 730-750 i reckon

ive got 3 a* 7 a`s 2 b`s at gcse-- (not amazing results I know but i did best in the school and i know kcl place emphasis on how you do according to ur peer group)

i have pretty decent work exp, volunteering etc

i also have a certficate in finance (equivalent to As which i did with my gcses) and i did the diploma last year got an a in that..

sheffield accpet these 2 qualifications as equivalent to a-levels whereas other unis dont..is that a good enuf factor to apply to sheffield considering i need 3 a`s at the end of it anyway

im also applying to kcl and queen maryy

last 2 choices are out of bristol, b.gham, manchester, cardiff ,newcastle, sheffield

where do u think i shud apply??

any advice is much appreciated

join the club dude, i lost 11 mins in VR and got an average of 617.5 in the end :/ but i think you will still beat the cut offs :smile:
Reply 793
Original post by Weezy_F
join the club dude, i lost 11 mins in VR and got an average of 617.5 in the end :/ but i think you will still beat the cut offs :smile:

really!!
shocking..i dont think they`re gna send a comment with my result and i wasnt allowed to take it again...frustrated reli it was the last thing i expected on the day!:confused:
Hey people,
just did my UKCAT and messed up big time (VR 500, QR 640, AR 580, DA 580). My AS are Biology A, Maths A, Further Maths A, Chemistry C, A2 predicted A* for maths and bio, A for chem. My GCSEs are 2 A* (additional science and maths), 5 A (core science, eng lang, eng lit, RE, Citizenship), 2 B (German and Business studies). I was wondering which unis, if any, I could realistically apply and interviews for with these stats.
Reply 795
Original post by Bearded Dragon
Hey people,
just did my UKCAT and messed up big time (VR 500, QR 640, AR 580, DA 580). My AS are Biology A, Maths A, Further Maths A, Chemistry C, A2 predicted A* for maths and bio, A for chem. My GCSEs are 2 A* (additional science and maths), 5 A (core science, eng lang, eng lit, RE, Citizenship), 2 B (German and Business studies). I was wondering which unis, if any, I could realistically apply and interviews for with these stats.

dw, your stats are still good for non-ukcat unis: bristol, leeds, liverpool and birmingham. birmingham are big on gcses and AS results so double-check about that, but your predictions and AS are really good, so as long as your PS is good you should be fine with them :smile: leeds are keen on work experience so just make sure you have enough but you should be fine :smile:
Reply 796
Original post by mehta13
really!!
shocking..i dont think they`re gna send a comment with my result and i wasnt allowed to take it again...frustrated reli it was the last thing i expected on the day!:confused:

Really, I can't believe that, an error message/computer crashing seem like genuine technical problems, did you call the test centre staff so that they could confirm the prob to PV? Perhaps you will get justice yet if they are still investigating..
Reply 797
Original post by highopes
Really, I can't believe that, an error message/computer crashing seem like genuine technical problems, did you call the test centre staff so that they could confirm the prob to PV? Perhaps you will get justice yet if they are still investigating..

lol its unlikely been phoning and e-mailing they dont seem to care
Reply 798
what are people putting as their 5th choice???
Reply 799
do the non ukcat unis look at gcse results most??? or is this weighed against work exp with 3a*s 7`as 2 bs and c would i be likely to get an offer at bristol, b.gham l.pool, leeds???
i have loads of work exp and a diploma in financial studies equiv to a2

please help??

or wud i b better of applying to manchester, newcastle or sheffield?

Quick Reply

Latest