The Student Room Group

hardest working university

hello, i was wondering which university had the reputation for being the hardest working in the sense that the people who studied there have a reputation for studying the hardest, and partying and other such social acitvities the less? (bar LSE since i have already researched that uni)

edit: business universities/universities that offer economics as an undergraduate degree, sorry i didn't mention that
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Study hard party harder? doesnt usually mix.
Imperial sticks out to me for that
Sounds like my idea of a nightmare.

But Imperial is a good shout as is St Andrews.
Reply 4
We work hard but there's definitely no shortage of social stuff here. Although the latest anything is open is 2am, there's always a ball, bop, pub visit or house party on.
Strathclyde I think.
Reply 6
Northumbria.
Leeds Met
Original post by Mr. Approachable
Leeds Met

Edge Hill...
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Strathclyde I think.

How's that big man?
Cambridge? from what I have heard from some students at Oxford (maths), cambridge undergrads (maths) have a heavier workload.
Reply 11
a good way to measure this is try and look at the drop out rate and/or pass rate
Why do people seek an objective statement about something which is totally subjective and reliant on anecdotal data?
Reply 13
For arts subjects (can't really speak for scientists) Oxbridge students have a much heavier workload than most. An average of between 10-14 essays in an 8 week term... way more than most other universities, based on comparisons between my own workload and those of friends at other unis.

Having said that, there is a "work hard, play hard" type attitude at Oxford, in my experience. So working hard doesn't have to mean a lack of social life (just a lack of sleep :P )
Reply 14
Original post by EM(Lin)
For arts subjects (can't really speak for scientists) Oxbridge students have a much heavier workload than most. An average of between 10-14 essays in an 8 week term... way more than most other universities, based on comparisons between my own workload and those of friends at other unis.

Having said that, there is a "work hard, play hard" type attitude at Oxford, in my experience. So working hard doesn't have to mean a lack of social life (just a lack of sleep :P )

That is not a high amount of essays. Someone here was set 5 essays over 10 days, in his first term, and that wasn't too much lower than the rest of the term. As a medic I was set about half that amount of essays, and arts students spend almost all their time doing essays.
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Edge Hill...

Leeds trinity, your turn
Reply 16
Original post by Hypocrism
That is not a high amount of essays. Someone here was set 5 essays over 10 days, in his first term, and that wasn't too much lower than the rest of the term. As a medic I was set about half that amount of essays, and arts students spend almost all their time doing essays.

Well, maybe your university has a worse workload then, but I can assure you that is a high number of essays compared to many other universities I have friends at. Other contributing factors such as how long the reading lists are, how long the essays are meant to be, blah blah blah. I know people from other unis who think 800 words is an essay lol...
Original post by alexss
We work hard but there's definitely no shortage of social stuff here. Although the latest anything is open is 2am, there's always a ball, bop, pub visit or house party on.

A bop? :lolwut:

(Yes I know what it is, I just didn't know anyone in the 21st century still used that word :tongue:)
Reply 18
It really depends on what course you're doing as well. Even within the same institution, you will see a variety of different required levels of commitment and different workloads and patterns.

I attended a Top 10 UK university where my course (CompSci) were working sometimes 15 hours a day just to scrape a pass but I knew students in other disciplines (including maths, interestingly enough) who were often commenting on how little work they had to do and that it occasionally got boring and should have been more rigorous given the prestige of the university.

The CS and medical students were always burned out with eating and sleeping taking a back seat, whereas everyone else was living a normal relaxed life.

Original post by lifesabeach
Cambridge? from what I have heard from some students at Oxford (maths), cambridge undergrads (maths) have a heavier workload.

Can't compare Oxford and Cambridge directly, but I had a friend who dropped out of Cambridge and eventually did the same or very similar course at Edinburgh. Apparently her third year there was easier in terms of workload than her first year at Cambridge had been.
Original post by Mr. Approachable
Leeds trinity, your turn

Edge Hill. Final answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending