The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm grade 8 flute but hardly ever pick it up these days.
I took up the violin just over a year ago - not any grade in it, but insanely decided to take GCSE music which requires Grade 4-standard performances :rolleyes: I love it though - it's such an incredibly versatile instrument and I wish I had taken it up sooner instead of persisting with piano for five years!
Hey Womble, are you taking the dipABRSM diploma? I'd like to take it sometime but have to play loads of material and then do viva voce which has kind of put me off... :frown:
Reply 43
I played the bassoon to grade 4, then gave up cos I wasn't good enough to do a level music and so would have to pay 4 lessons.

I now have a guitar which I can't play!
Reply 44
Trumpet/Cornet to grade 8, piano to grade 7 and I'm teaching myself clarinet at the moment. Can also play tenor horn and french horn, but no grades on them.
Reply 45
i got to grade 2 violin got board
then got to grade 3 drums got board
now i'm teaching my self to play piano after i hear a song by a guy called Yann tierson who did the music for the film amelie
but i'll probably get board soon enough
Tribi18
Do u play a musical instrument if what which one? im play the piano on grade 7 and grade 8 theory.. its brilliant!! I'd love to play the sax though!

Yeah, i sing, play acoustic guitar, clarinet and piano. Doing a diploma in musical theatre in July, lol! :biggrin:
Sweetpeaz
:writes down suggestion eagerly: thanks Tribi18 :smile: who's that piece by?

Go on musicnotes.com, you can download music in a variety of keys for a small price, it's my secret weapon in jazz singing!
Reply 48
'Hey Womble, are you taking the dipABRSM diploma? I'd like to take it sometime but have to play loads of material and then do viva voce which has kind of put me off... '

No, I looked at that one but i decided to do one at guildhall schools of music GSM(P) i think. You only need to do a 25 min performance with varied repetoire. You dont need all the rubbish that comes with the ABRSM exams and they are equivilent!
Reply 49
im doing the ATCL (trinity's version) you only have to play 4 choices(though admitedly some of the choices contain a few movements or pices within them) - no sight reading or anything; and it seems to be fairly prestigious, on level with guildhall and ABRSM any way. in fact i dont think any particular one is better - they are just all slightly different.

Latest

Trending

Trending