The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I got my registration email today, and have been having fun trying to decipher mycampus and get enrolled. I'm a part time mature student, studying Eng Lit and Politics. Where do we find the creditless "Introduction to Academic Writing" course to enroll on it? I'm guessing it's the EngLit equivalent of the core culture course that language students have to take (I think...), but I can't find it on mycampus enrolment at all, and I don't want to miss out on any courses I'm meant to be taking.

Also, I've just set up a direct debit to cover my part time course fees, but my Student Centre is still telling me to complete financial registration. I click on the button, but it acts as though it wants me to set up another DD - something obviously I don't want to do, as I don't want to be charged twice each month. Does anyone have any experience of this, does the DD just take a couple of days to appear on your financial information?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Just a quick question, my time table says my first physics lecture is on the 10th but my induction isn't till the 11th and none of my other classes (maths and astronomy) start the 17th, do I have a lecture on the 10th or is this a mistake? Oh and a side question do I attend the maths induction or just the physics and astronomy one?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
How do we find out when our inductions/first classes are? I've looked everywhere but can't find anything that tells me. (my subjects are music MA, Digital media and information studies and theatre studies)
Thanks

Reply 63
Original post by WeNeverWrote
How do we find out when our inductions/first classes are? I've looked everywhere but can't find anything that tells me. (my subjects are music MA, Digital media and information studies and theatre studies)
Thanks

I was sent a letter telling me about my induction day.
You should register on mycampus and populate your own timetable
Reply 64
I am applying from England, West-Midlands to be more specific. My tuition fees are being covered by the Student Finance England Company. My nationality is German and would thus need to pay the tuition fees equivalent to that of European student (not sure how much it is, but it is significantly lower than the 6k that I've been quoted!)
I am quite frustrated as I have firmed Glasgow and declined my other choice (scottish uni) which, for your knowledge, had provided me with the European tuition fees from the start. They did this based on the information I submitted through UCAS, nothing complex process

Could you please give me an answer or perhaps solution/advice to my situation?

I thank you in advance!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
Hi there

Applying now for 2013 - have AAAA after 5th year. Course choice is Eng Lit but also want to do Film and TV Studies. On the page for that course on the website it states

'All Film & Television Studies courses are normally only available to students who have been specifically admitted on Film & Television Studies codes through UCAS.'

So does that mean I have to put down single honours Film and TV Studies or is it ok to put down the course code for joint honours Eng lit/Film and TV studies?

Advice really needed before UCAS form completed!!

thanks so much
Original post by scotttishgirl
Hi there

Applying now for 2013 - have AAAA after 5th year. Course choice is Eng Lit but also want to do Film and TV Studies. On the page for that course on the website it states

'All Film & Television Studies courses are normally only available to students who have been specifically admitted on Film & Television Studies codes through UCAS.'

So does that mean I have to put down single honours Film and TV Studies or is it ok to put down the course code for joint honours Eng lit/Film and TV studies?

Advice really needed before UCAS form completed!!

thanks so much

If you get accepted for joint honours Englit/Film studies then you will have a place on both those courses. But if I were you I'd call/email the admissions office just to be sure/clarify.

Reply 67
Hi! I have a question. I'm starting studying Environmental Stewardship this autumn at Dumfries campus. I wonder how the things are about reading list? I know that most of students around UK get their reading list before university starts. I haven't gotten anything yet and I can't find any information on MyCampus either. Will I get my reading list then I come to Dumfries? Thank you for answerring.
Reply 68
Hi, I'm about to become an undergraduate at Glasgow Uni studying Neuroscience. I'm also a pianist and I was wondering whether or not you have to be studying music to use the university practice rooms?
Hi I'm a Northern Irish undergraduate coming to Glasgow and I recently got an Irish passport (I had only British before) so that I could apply to have my tuition fees paid by SAAS. I've been trying for over a week to get through to them with no luck and I was wondering what I should do for my financial registration since I haven't been able to apply with SAAS yet?
Reply 70
Maybe I can get this answered here since I am not getting it answered anywhere else.

Is normal for professors to put the condition of funding on international students offers? I was given conditional admissions based on funding...which I kinda don't understanding considering i am coming from the US and our government will allow for our aide to be used at Glasgow. I tried talking to the admitting professor about but he didn't seem convienced about funding...and it has kinda put me off on the university a bit. but if this is a normal thing for schools to do then ok i will look over it.
Original post by Victorijaa
Hi! I have a question. I'm starting studying Environmental Stewardship this autumn at Dumfries campus. I wonder how the things are about reading list? I know that most of students around UK get their reading list before university starts. I haven't gotten anything yet and I can't find any information on MyCampus either. Will I get my reading list then I come to Dumfries? Thank you for answerring.

Hi you will get your reading list when you start the course. Enjoy your Freshers' Week in Dumfries :smile:

Lily (UK Student Recruitment Officer)
Original post by Emily628
Hi, I'm about to become an undergraduate at Glasgow Uni studying Neuroscience. I'm also a pianist and I was wondering whether or not you have to be studying music to use the university practice rooms?

There are practice rooms in the Music Building but the Music students will get priority to using the pianos. There are also electronic keyboards in the library that all students can use. Also, The Mitchell Library at Charing Cross have pianos but you do have to pay an hourly fee for them.

Original post by la-penseur
Hi I'm a Northern Irish undergraduate coming to Glasgow and I recently got an Irish passport (I had only British before) so that I could apply to have my tuition fees paid by SAAS. I've been trying for over a week to get through to them with no luck and I was wondering what I should do for my financial registration since I haven't been able to apply with SAAS yet?

You will have to have either applied to SAAS or Student Loans Company to have your Tuition fees covered prior to starting university or you will not be able to register.

Original post by nmanda
Maybe I can get this answered here since I am not getting it answered anywhere else.

Is normal for professors to put the condition of funding on international students offers? I was given conditional admissions based on funding...which I kinda don't understanding considering i am coming from the US and our government will allow for our aide to be used at Glasgow. I tried talking to the admitting professor about but he didn't seem convienced about funding...and it has kinda put me off on the university a bit. but if this is a normal thing for schools to do then ok i will look over it.

The Professors only deal with the academic offer and all Student Finance issues are dealt with via Registry (http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/support/finance/).

Information regarding the US Federal Loans can be found here: http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/support/finance/federalloans/

Reply 75
Hi there :smile:

I'm wanting to apply to study neuroscience and I know the minimum entry requirements are ABBB. I got AAACC (not what I had hoped for) and I was wondering if there is any chance I might possibly get a conditional - would my personal statement have to be pretty special?
To study Neuroscience at the University of Glasgow you will need AAAB in first sitting for an unconditional offer.

Applicants who achieved between BBBB/ABB and AABB at their first sitting may receive a conditional or unconditional offer once all applications have been reviewed in March 2013. You will need Higher in either Biology or Chemistry.

You can get further information about admissions to Sciences at the University from the Bsc/MSci (Science) admissions office:
Tel: +44(0) 141 330 5164
Email: [email protected]

Science entry requirements are also listed on our website: http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/entryrequirements/science/

Rose, (UK Student Recruitment Officer)
Reply 77
hello, i am from cyprus and i am currently doing the national service so i will do the deffered entry.. i am interest in studying accounting and finance. my a level grades are as follows: A*AB + As level B. apolytirion grade 95.3%(19.06/20). how many chances have i got for receiving an unconditional offer?
Hello, i've been reading through some of these just to get more information and seem to be hearing a lot about unconditional offers, are these only given to students studying Scottish Highers or are they also offered to A Level students?
I would like to apply for compsci - my predictions are AAA. Will it effect my chances of getting an offer if I apply for a masters degree instead of bachelors? Both Msci and Bsc have same minimum entry requirements of ABB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending