The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
chris1200
Are you sure it's that late?! Surely it can't be...

Other colleges send it out with the offer letter and for most Unis you have to get accommodation sorted during the summer.

You'll be ask to select at some point whether you would like high, mid or low rent accommodation I believe. Most people pick high, so there is a ballot to determine who gets what (but low rent does not equal bad room by any means). But you won't hear about your actual room til after results. I think. I can't really remember anymore...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 201
chris1200
Are you sure it's that late?! Surely it can't be...

Yes unless both the admissions and accommodation office decide to change their policy.
Reply 202
Hi all! Did anyone else get a letter at school today telling them the admissions statistics for Trinity this year?
Are Trinity the only college that do this?
Reply 203
My referee got a letter with the application statistics for my course yesterday too.
what were the statistics?
Reply 205
For medicine 71 applications, 12 offers
Reply 206
Philosophy: 1/18 O.o
Reply 207
Economics?

(I've just been rejected by durham so I need something to cheer me up!)
Reply 208
zedliv
For medicine 71 applications, 12 offers

Ooh, what was the boy/girl split or did they not give you that? (there's a reason I'm asking this, as the year below me has only one girl!)

They sent those stats to my school too when I applied. My headteacher was so proud..... :rolleyes:
Reply 209
Hmm, I'm trying to remember, I think it's something like 9 girls and 3 boys, or something in that region! and about 41 applications from girls and 30 from boys. If I've forgotten and made the figures up I'm sorry!
Reply 210
Cexy
Well done guys. I wonder if I'll end up teaching you...

Haha, that would be neat, what course(s) will you be teaching?
Reply 211
Simba
Haha, that would be neat, what course(s) will you be teaching?
It varies from year to year. In the past I've taught the Newtonian Dynamics course to first years, but I think I'd like to have a try at something else next year.
Reply 212
Cexy
It varies from year to year. In the past I've taught the Newtonian Dynamics course to first years, but I think I'd like to have a try at something else next year.

Presumably you're a post-graduate? How does it work at Cambridge for people who would like to gain some experience by helping with part IA say?
Reply 213
I'm not sure that I understand your question. The IA maths course has lectures, to about 200 people at once, and then supervisions, which involve 1 supervisor and 2 students. If you're a postgrad then you will never lecture, only supervise. About 50% of supervisors are faculty, and the other 50% are postgrads.
Reply 214
Cexy
I'm not sure that I understand your question. The IA maths course has lectures, to about 200 people at once, and then supervisions, which involve 1 supervisor and 2 students. If you're a postgrad then you will never lecture, only supervise. About 50% of supervisors are faculty, and the other 50% are postgrads.

Ahhh, right, I thought you meant you were taking lectures. I understand now :smile: , thanks.
Reply 215
Hi I am an A-level student and would like to know
whether you could help me with this

I went over the parametric equations today and found this
I don not know how to find the axis of symmetry.
The parabola is given parametrically by x=at^2 y=2at. P is the point
(ap^2,2ap).
The foot of the perpendicular from P onto the axis of symmetry is F.
Find the coordinates of F.

elle
Reply 216
Elle10,
I think you'd be better off posting this on the academic help forum instead of here; this thread is generally used for questions relating to admissions, courses etc.
Reply 217
Hi, is anybody else a bit worried that the accommodation letter assumes that most people will go for the most expensive rooms? My family is not poor, but I'm going to have to try to live as cheaply as possible. I'm getting slightly worried that the majority of people will be very rich (living up to the stereotype really) and that I won't fit in :frown:
Reply 218
zedliv
Hi, is anybody else a bit worried that the accommodation letter assumes that most people will go for the most expensive rooms? My family is not poor, but I'm going to have to try to live as cheaply as possible. I'm getting slightly worried that the majority of people will be very rich (living up to the stereotype really) and that I won't fit in :frown:

Most people do indeed pick high, but that doesn't mean they are all from very wealthy backgrounds - as chris1200 points out, Trinity's room rents are pretty reasonable. Also, the highest possible rent works out max £100 per week which is what you would pay as standard in some places (especially London).

But anyway, Trinity has a very big year group and while a proportion will be well off, equally there are people who aren't/people from 'average' backgrounds, etc. And people don't seem to judge on wealth, to be honest, or at least I've not met anyone who does (that's not to say there aren't people who might do that, but they aren't in the majority - don't worry about it!).
Reply 219
Yes I've been wondering about that too. I'm having terrible images of my family trudging across the college with my bags time and time again

Latest

Trending

Trending