The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2840
the pool is shrinking ... :frown:
Reply 2841
Original post by sqwerty
it's been a long time since we had an offer in this thread :frown:

and the problem is it can either be a sign of loads of offers to be sent or the opposite: that only a few are left and the rest of us are rejected :confused:
Dreading the moment I get a UCAS update email. You would have thought that after everything we have been through, they would have the decency to write or email about the decision!
Original post by leezee
Hey, what I don't understand is....surely not given an interview is a good thing -- it means your interviews are decent at least... those interviewed belong to category S (in special need of reassessment), so aren't we supposed to be happy to not be given interviews?

Is this definitely true?? I have an interview tomorrow at Girton for Maths and that makes me feel awful :frown:
Reply 2844
Oh great. Starting to regret applying to cam just cuz of this experience =\
Original post by kirino1
Oh great. Starting to regret applying to cam just cuz of this experience =\

This is one of those experiences people can look back on and laugh about :smile:
I still couldn't believe I was rejected in the end. Trinity emailed me this afternoon that I was unsuccessful and updated UCAS track within one hour. My teachers and director of studies in the school were totally in shock and they thought it was obvious I would get into Cambridge. This year there are 15 from my school getting into Oxbridge and to be honest and NOT arrogant, they were weaker candidates than me. Well, well, best of luck to the rest who are still swimming and a huge THANK YOU to Minerva and all of you for all the exchange of information, all the comfort and support and all the effort you were absolute lovely people. I am off to Imperial. May there be light!
Reply 2847
Original post by hayzelle
Is this definitely true?? I have an interview tomorrow at Girton for Maths and that makes me feel awful :frown:

Sorry that's what I thought it was... did you read the big document on the first page? Under the 'In special need of reassessment':
a. when the applicant receives wildly divergent subject interviews
b. the interview malfunctioned
c. the applicant was seriously disadvantaged

and I also thought it is only when these things happen that an applicant is given a reinterview? I could be wrong though... :smile:
Reply 2848
Original post by leezee
Hey, what I don't understand is....surely not given an interview is a good thing -- it means your interviews are decent at least... those interviewed belong to category S (in special need of reassessment), so aren't we supposed to be happy to not be given interviews?

wait no.... the S group is if the interview went SHOCKINGLY terribly... it specifically says on the document that the people who belong here are those whose interview performance was affected by a family disturbance and things like that.....

please don't make all the reinterviewees worry like this.

Of course it is better if you get a direct offer, but reinterviewees have a higher chance of getting in (around 50%)
EDIT: And my guess is that the colleges want to check if the candidate is a good fit before offering a place themselves instead of looking at interview notes.

(my view might be skewed cuz I have a interview too! And I thought my original interviews were fine! (in the sense that I didn't start crying in the middle :biggrin:))
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2849
Original post by Leghornfleur
Hi Im a stressed parent of an even more stressed Natsci poolee from Magdalen- has anyone recieved a direct offer at all from Mags for Natsci? just that the letter we recieved said the application was still under consideration and inclusion in the pool was to maximise chances of gaining a Cambridge place. Not been fished so in limbo. Wondered if Magdalen was holding back offers til they had interviewed more candidates. Any ideas folks???:confused:

Hi, I'm also a stressed parent! Son pooled by Magdalene for Phys Natsci and not heard anything since. Here's hoping....:s-smilie:
Original post by leezee
Sorry that's what I thought it was... did you read the big document on the first page? Under the 'In special need of reassessment':
a. when the applicant receives wildly divergent subject interviews
b. the interview malfunctioned
c. the applicant was seriously disadvantaged

and I also thought it is only when these things happen that an applicant is given a reinterview? I could be wrong though... :smile:

I knew that those getting S would probably be reinterviewed but I didn't think it meant everyone reinterviewed got an S :s-smilie:
Freaking out now!
Original post by Georgeof
Why not?
Also the letter says that Robinson, the college I originally applied may fish me again? What are these chances?

I don't know if this has been answered, but last years stats show 166 of the 948(ish) that got selected from the pool were by the same college they were pooled from. Some colleges do this to 'benchmark' their possible offers just to make sure there is nobody better in the pool - chances are small, but still a posibility :smile:
By the way, I know the feeling of being rejected after going through all this. Oxbridge DON'T always make the right decision or pick up the right person, and not getting into Cambridge does NOT mean you are any, any less good than those who do get in at all!!!
Reply 2853
Original post by hayzelle

Hi Hayzelle
Nobody can know for sure exactly why they were placed in the pool and then offered another interview My advice would be to take the offer of re-interview as a massive vote of confidence in your ability. It might be that you were strong on paper and ALSO in interview but your 'fishing' college may have a policy of interviewing all their fishes rather than giving direct offers. Or it may be something to do with the moderation of the selection process. Best to take it as a confidence boost. Don't worry, do your best and take heart that you have been given another opportunity. Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 2854
First time posting on here. :frown: Anxious mum of a brilliant would-be philosopher who's just been rejected on UCAS from Emma. Was just awful watching her face change from excitement at a Track message email to seeing the word "unsuccessful" lined up against Cambridge. It's most definitely their loss. Courage to all those who've been waiting so long with this torture of not knowing only to be rejected. There are lots of paths out there for all your great minds and you'll find the right one for you. :smile:

Original post by Gollumsmum
My son also found out from Caius via UCAS when he got in from college last night. Fortunately I'd read on here that it was being done that way and could forewarn him. I wish they could do these bright and enthusiastic students the courtesy of letting the official letter arrive first.

Many thanks Minerva.
Original post by Bfrenchv
Is it a bad sign not to have had any reply at this stage of the pooling process?

not necessarily no, lots of people get late replies, especially if you've been pooled because your college wants to compare you to other candidates - since the interviews are 12th-14th it is definitely not a bad sign... no news is good news :smile:
Original post by thompa
Congratulations!! Where for?

Girton :smile: No grades yet just an offer. It had been in my junk mail since Saturday, picked it up on the Monday.

If you're still a fish, CHECK YOUR JUNK MAIL.

Good luck everyone (yn)
Reply 2857
Original post by kath99
Hi, I'm also a stressed parent! Son pooled by Magdalene for Phys Natsci and not heard anything since. Here's hoping....:s-smilie:

Hi Kath

Don't stress! Quite a few people (my own son included) have been fished for interview at Mag for Nat Sci Phys. Maybe your son is going to be compared to a 'fish' for moderation purposes. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2858
Original post by Rabraith
By the way, I know the feeling of being rejected after going through all this. Oxbridge DON'T always make the right decision or pick up the right person, and not getting into Cambridge does NOT mean you are any, any less good than those who do get in at all!!!

Thanks and good point! The admissions people don't know how amazing thinkers we are and the kind of students we are.. They've just seen us in a stressed interview situation. So we shouldn't beat ourselves up over a rejection (which I got) from christs for econ.
My mum's stressing that much I just ended up telling her that I got rejected in anticipation of said rejection coming in the next few days...

Latest

Trending

Trending