The Student Room Group

LSE or Warwick?

So, I've been rejected by Cambridge for Law, and now hold offers from LSE/Warwick/Birmingham waiting on Nottingham. In short would I be crazy to turn down LSE for Warwick for personal reasons. I live in London, and desperately want to leave home for uni, which is largely why i don't want to firm LSE. I'm still unsure about careers, but how is Warwick generally percieved at home and abroad

I know that its Warwick's Maths/Econ/Finance grads who arguably make the uni a 'target'. so, how our law grads from Warwick viewed in banking/FO/Magic circle/Consultancy? Also, how large is the gap in reputation between the two for finance related jobs/MC. I'm swayed towards LSE, since its apparently globally recongised, whilst Warwick doesn't fare too well globally.

In short; I'm not keen on LSE, but will Warwick do?

any other general advice would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course Warwick will do. It's a great university and is specifically targeted by employers (Clifford Chance being just one). Also it's important to remember that your degree classification, extra-curriculars and work experience will be more important when it comes to job hunting than whether you studied at LSE or Warwick.
Reply 2
LSE prestige>>>>>>>>Warwick prestige. /thread.

Lololol negging me won't make anything better... LSE will overshadow you c*nts for eternity :ahee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I got multiple FO grad (Advisory not S&T) and summer analyst roles as a Warwick Law grad. Pretty average academically but I was extremely motivated in getting an offer. You won't be in the same boat as the Warwick MORSE / Econ students but there are plenty of ways to compensate. Gut feel is that more LSE lawyers will end up in banking (a product of environment rather than quality of the course) than Warwick where the ambition for most is to get a training contract.

If you are unsure about whether you want to do law or banking I'd go with Warwick. If your heart is set on banking then (a) I'd question why you are studying law and not something more directly relevant and (b) I'd chose LSE for the brand (marginal).

Ultimately as a lawyer you'll have to be a bit punchy with applications to succeed and either university will be fine. In your position I'd go to Warwick.

Edit: if you are worried about perceptions abroad go with LSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Warwick did better in my front office BB class than LSE by a long shot. City wide I get the feeling (no figures to back me up) that it's roughly even. LSE is better placed geographically and there is an element of "prestige" which the poor fanboy a couple of posts above me is unfortunately hooked on. However, Warwick is better for ECs and producing more rounded candidates.

These are obviously generalizations. Far more than just your university determines your success.
Reply 5
LSE is much better than Warwick.
Reply 6
If spring & summer stats are anything to go by LSE has a marginal advantage over Warwick.
Reply 7
Original post by The IC Guy

Some sort of rationale would be much appreciated....
Reply 8
Original post by Nimiza
Some sort of rationale would be much appreciated....

If your aim is to work in finance, you'll find that aim easier to achieve with a degree from LSE as opposed to a degree from Warwick.

Preferred by employers and easier to attend interviews based in London.
LSE has the wow factor and is slightly better when it comes to reputation and prestige; Warwick will still get you top jobs though. You should choose based on where you would prefer to spend 3 years; hence you should choose Warwick.
Reply 10
Original post by The IC Guy
If your aim is to work in finance, you'll find that aim easier to achieve with a degree from LSE as opposed to a degree from Warwick.

Preferred by employers and easier to attend interviews based in London.

So you actually only gave two reasons: preferred by employers and easier to attend interviews.

As someone said earlier, there are marginally more grads in finance from LSE than Warwick. I'd meter that with saying there are also more applicants from LSE. I'd also say from personal experience I've seen a pretty similar number of Warwick vs. LSE in front office.

When it comes to the top tier of universities, employers don't "prefer" any university. They "prefer" those candidates with a good course, good marks, ECs and work experience. All the banks visit both Warwick and LSE for recruitment events.

Easier to attend interviews: yes. Though unless you're planning on having 2 interviews a week for the three years of your degree, I don't feel like the 1hr 30 train journey from Warwick should make a massive difference.

If the OP would prefer Warwick, it will have no impact on his ability to get into the industry: hence he should go. What will make a difference is the effort he puts into joining societies/sports clubs and their exec committees, gaining work experience, and getting a good mark.
Reply 11
LSE has a global reach that Warwick can't compete with.

However, having said that, going to Warwick shouldn't really shut any doors. It's fairly well thought of internationally and highly valued by any decent employer.

Couple of years good work experience in UK + Proof of Warwick turning you into a well rounded candidate will cut out any marginal advantage that LSE would give you.

But in terms of the everyday layman, LSE is more likely to raise eyebrows than Warwick.
Reply 12
Thanks guys. I've still got time to decide, but will probably go for Warwick. Warwick's ranking does seem more inconsistent than LSE's with people often ranking Durham/St Andrews/and Bristol above it, which leaves it on the outskirts of the top 10.

Original post by Redeyejedi
I got multiple FO grad (Advisory not S&T) and summer analyst roles as a Warwick Law grad. Pretty average academically but I was extremely motivated in getting an offer. You won't be in the same boat as the Warwick MORSE / Econ students but there are plenty of ways to compensate. Gut feel is that more LSE lawyers will end up in banking (a product of environment rather than quality of the course) than Warwick where the ambition for most is to get a training contract.

If you are unsure about whether you want to do law or banking I'd go with Warwick. If your heart is set on banking then (a) I'd question why you are studying law and not something more directly relevant and (b) I'd chose LSE for the brand (marginal).

Ultimately as a lawyer you'll have to be a bit punchy with applications to succeed and either university will be fine. In your position I'd go to Warwick.

Edit: if you are worried about perceptions abroad go with LSE.

This was very helpful. I'm not really that interested on becoming a banker right now, I should have been clearer, I meant 'top' jobs in general incld banking,etc. May I ask did you decide to take up the FO offer or go for Law?
go to warwick if that's your clear personal preference

i'm an lse grad for full disclosure
Original post by Tsunami2011

This was very helpful. I'm not really that interested on becoming a banker right now, I should have been clearer, I meant 'top' jobs in general incld banking,etc. May I ask did you decide to take up the FO offer or go for Law?

Law for now. This is after 12 months at an "elite" advisory boutique.

Warwick is a dodgy farming University in the Midlands AFAIK.
Original post by fail@maths
AFAIK.

Evidently you know very little.
Reply 17
Original post by fail@maths

Warwick is a dodgy farming University in the Midlands AFAIK.

HAHHAHA. :indiff: poor banter.

There's a lot of other factors to consider you haven't mentioned that should be a part of your decision...
campus vs city, social life at both unis etc.

I imagine you've had a good look at the course as well.

Although a career is important, and for most the point of university, you'll want to make sure you spend the next 3/4 years at a place you actually enjoy.

Career wise there's a marginal difference, perhaps in favour of LSE if you are a Law student (I'm saying this as a Warwick student btw) - you should place more emphasis on the points above.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Redeyejedi
Evidently you know very little.

Since when did you come back? :tongue:

How is risk at GS?
Reply 19
I think that you should go for wherever you'll be happy :smile: I think the difference in quality is negligible although LSE is arguably better known worldwide (I'd say this is partly because of the fact that it's in London and may as well have a sign above the door that says if you're international and paying the big bucks step right in). But if you do chose Warwick I may well see you in Law lectures next year :wink: (a major bonus surely haha!) and I didn't apply to LSE, I felt it had a cold atmosphere and quite isolating due to the cliquish nature that groups of internationals brings. Just my opinion though, I'm sure many people have a great time there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending