The Student Room Group

MySQA 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zfa7596
SAM, when I was filling out my Standard Grade English Folio tag sheet 2 weeks ago, in the box where it wanted me to put in my Scottish Candidate Number, I only put in 7 digits even though there were 8 spaces for putting in digits. this is because my scottish candidate number begins with 0........ the school ignored the 0 at the front our numbers and just told us to put in the 7 digit number without the zero at the front. The entire class did this. Does this matter? I only just realised this when I knew the candidate number began with a 0

Also, when I was doing my Standard Grade French Folio essays redraft which we all do at the end of the year, the class was told to write in ink and double spaced lining by the sqa whereas our French teacher told me specifically that becuase my handwriting was neat, then i could write all my essays in pencil and not double lined beacuse none of my other essays where this way and she told me not to rewrite them.

Are either of these in anyway bad and could possibly lower my marks?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on these, but I just wanted to be sure on the SCN issue.

All SCNs have eight digits (and they don't all start with 0). However, the good news is that there will be no impact on you or your marks if you've just put the 7 in.

For the second part of your question, although we recommend ink and double lines this will have no impact on overall mark.

Hope that helps.
:smile:
Reply 101
thanks.

i was just wondering that because i did not put all 8 digits in, the marker will not have known my SCN so he/she would not have been able to allocate the marks to somebody.
Original post by zfa7596
thanks.

i was just wondering that because i did not put all 8 digits in, the marker will not have known my SCN so he/she would not have been able to allocate the marks to somebody.

The SQA tend to use common sense in those situations. :smile:
Original post by badumdumtscht
The SQA tend to use common sense in those situations. :smile:

Thanks. Yes we do. (Even if we don't always get the credit for it.)
How's the studying going, guys? Kick off is just around the corner - are you confident?
Exam Day 1 - good luck all you Standard Grade Economists, Classicists and Computerists!
Tell us what do you think of the exams you take this year. Love them, hate them, let us know. It will help us set the grade boundaries this year and maintain standards in the future. Go to http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/57018.html for more details and to compelte the survey.
So how did the first exams of the new year go then? Disaster, skoosh case or somewhere in the middle?
My SQA, what is the highest that grade boundaries are pushed up to for a 1 usually?
It's very difficult to say. They are set every year depending on how that year's results go for a particular exam. In theory they should hover around the 70%.
Thanks
Exam Day 2 - English. Good luck to everyone sitting that tomorrow!
Sam, I've been having an argument with someone over exam papers so figured considering you are, basically, the SQA in digital form (although not as evil as it it seems :wink: ), I'd ask you.

Are you allowed to take your exam paper (the one with the questions on it, provided you don't have to write on it, like for example, the Higher Maths paper) out of the exam hall when the exam has finished ?
Original post by mysqa

All SCNs have eight digits (and they don't all start with 0). However, the good news is that there will be no impact on you or your marks if you've just put the 7 in.

Thank goodness for that. I've just done the very same thing on my english writing. :ashamed: I had forgotten my SCN card and so went to the office to get my number. The one they gave me had no zero.
Original post by S119234
Sam, I've been having an argument with someone over exam papers so figured considering you are, basically, the SQA in digital form (although not as evil as it it seems :wink: ), I'd ask you.

Are you allowed to take your exam paper (the one with the questions on it, provided you don't have to write on it, like for example, the Higher Maths paper) out of the exam hall when the exam has finished ?

Sorry for the delay getting back - the answer is that after the exam you must give your Answer Book AND your Question Paper to the Invigilator. So you can't keep your question paper.

Hope you won!
Original post by mysqa
Sorry for the delay getting back - the answer is that after the exam you must give your Answer Book AND your Question Paper to the Invigilator. So you can't keep your question paper.

Hope you won!

I've noticed changes in the rulings here. When I did standard grades in both 3rd and 4th year I was able to retain the papers for reviewing over them, but last year in my highers the invigilators demanded them back. Is it so I can't give them to younger friends so they need to pay for past paper books?
Reply 116
I think it's because there could be people elsewhere still to sit it. Think there was a case a while ago that something caused a delay in an exam and someone posted the paper online. Dunno if it was an SQA paper but I assume that's why.
Original post by mysqa

Hope you won!

Nah I lost :tongue:

I fail to understand the reasoning behind pupil's not being able to take them out of the exam hall, not like the SQA is going to take them back to reuse them!
Original post by mysqa
It's New Year and that can only mean one thing - counting down to the exams. Sorry, but you know it's true and you should be working by now.

My name is SAM and I'm here to help you with any questions you have about the SQA exams, and particularly to encourage you to sign up for the MySQA results service to get your results early by text or email.

I'll be putting up some study tips as well and generally doing what I can to make the whole ghastly business as painless for you as possible.

SAM:smile:

Hi Sam:smile:

My school spelled my name wrong, so I spoke to the teacher in charge of exams and she said she would change it. However, when I sat my standard grade art, the wrong spelling was still on the label. I'm just wondering if my certificate will hae the correct spelling?

Thanks
Original post by anthonyfl
Hi Sam:smile:

My school spelled my name wrong, so I spoke to the teacher in charge of exams and she said she would change it. However, when I sat my standard grade art, the wrong spelling was still on the label. I'm just wondering if my certificate will hae the correct spelling?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for mentioning this, I'm sure it's something we can fix. I just need to find out the best thing to do next to ensure it is fixed - bear with me, I will get back to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending