The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheesecake11
Is ATP required for the process of secretion? Ie like when the pancreas produces insoluin?

Only if it is through active transport, which I dont think would be the case in this scenario as there would be high conc in the cell and lower conc in the duct/lumen of pancreas(?) so would diffuse out of the cell so no ATP required as diffusion a passive process.

However, you may need lots of ATP if a cell secrets loads of protein e.g. plasma cell secreting lots of antibodies requires extensive/many mitochondrion due to energy for protein synthesis for mass production.

Hope this helps.

ALSO: I WILL DIE if microscopy comes up in all its glory in Jan
(edited 12 years ago)
Half way through revising biological molecules, does anyone know what we need to know about globular proteins in terms of tertiary structure?

I seem to have a small section on them just under the tertiary structure but its worded a little confusing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mocking_bird
Half way through revising biological molecules, does anyone know what we need to know about globular proteins in terms of tertiary structure?

I seem to have a small section on them just under the tertiary structure but its worded a little confusing.

know that they contain hydrogen bonds and disulphide bridges. also know the definitions like what is meant by a quartenary structure. just two lines for each type is good :smile:
Original post by James A
know that they contain hydrogen bonds and disulphide bridges. also know the definitions like what is meant by a quartenary structure. just two lines for each type is good :smile:

*Confusion*.
So globular proteins, just basically define tertiary structure for them?
Reply 64
*Confusion*.
So globular proteins, just basically define tertiary structure for them?

The specification doesn't specify 'globular' . You just need to know what primary, secondary and tertiary structure and hydrogen bonds specifically. They usually test your knowledge on this by enzyme denaturation
Original post by EffKayy
The specification doesn't specify 'globular' . You just need to know what primary, secondary and tertiary structure and hydrogen bonds specifically. They usually test your knowledge on this by enzyme denaturation

Ah fair play! Thats easy enough then, thanks. :smile:
Original post by EffKayy

looks like you got unit 1 on smash! what did you get last time? and i forgot to ask did you get to see your paper photocopied?
Reply 67
Original post by James A
looks like you got unit 1 on smash! what did you get last time? and i forgot to ask did you get to see your paper photocopied?

69... :frown: you?
Yeah I did , and having looked at the markscheme I was kicking myself! I got all the describe questions wrong because I didn't use the data from the graphs properly. Also I forgot to mention words like osmosis and stuff.
Reply 68
Please help me! :frown:

QUESTION 1Aiii
Question Paper:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_09...ce_f211_01.pdf

Mark Scheme:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_09...09_gce_jan.pdf

I don't understand how the answer is what it is, or where they got their numbers from for the calculation. It's like they plucked them out of thin air, can someone explain it to me?
Reply 69
Original post by Mojojojo
Please help me! :frown:

QUESTION 1Aiii
Question Paper:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_09...ce_f211_01.pdf

Mark Scheme:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_09...09_gce_jan.pdf

I don't understand how the answer is what it is, or where they got their numbers from for the calculation. It's like they plucked them out of thin air, can someone explain it to me?

Your links don't work... :redface:
Original post by EffKayy
69... :frown: you?
Yeah I did , and having looked at the markscheme I was kicking myself! I got all the describe questions wrong because I didn't use the data from the graphs properly. Also I forgot to mention words like osmosis and stuff.

i just want a B overall, so i know i can get 80/100 it will definetly give me a chance of a B.

then i can just merk chemistry and maths (which im already confident about) A* fammmmmm
Reply 71
Original post by James A

i just want a B overall, so i know i can get 80/100 it will definetly give me a chance of a B.

then i can just merk chemistry and maths (which im already confident about) A* fammmmmm

Lmfao good luck ... Have you revised for this? It's my first exam :/
How are you finding biol4? I think the content is really simple, easy to understand but the papers are hard (hsw)
Dude, surely it's about the past papers. I know the content like the back of my hand, it isn' good enough since my test papers i'm coming out with low C's! So it's about nailing the mark scheme what these *******s at AQA want right?:smile:
Original post by EffKayy
Lmfao good luck ... Have you revised for this? It's my first exam :/
How are you finding biol4? I think the content is really simple, easy to understand but the papers are hard (hsw)

yeah same position pretty much, the concepts are easy, applying it is the usual story...
Reply 74
what do people think that the last 2 questions will be on? thanks for your help!!! :smile:

Globular proteins in terms of tertiary structures is when the a-helix/polypeptide chain is further twisted and folded into a 3D shape, the shape is maintained by disulphide, ionic and hydrogen bonds. Dsitinct 3d shape allows it to be recognised and recognise other molecules and interact with them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dggs123
what do people think that the last 2 questions will be on? thanks for your help!!! :smile:

:banghead: wish i knew!

Just hoping it's not gonna be one of those weird HSW questions.
Reply 77
hi, is it possible to tell me how you revised for this exam? thanks
Reply 78
Original post by vVShabbaVv

Original post by vVShabbaVv
:banghead: wish i knew!

Just hoping it's not gonna be one of those weird HSW questions.

yeah same!!! i wouldnt mind if it was something like ultracentrifugation or cell mediated immunity :s-smilie: there havent been questions on these topics yet.
Reply 79
also everyone, have a look at the specification because that really helps too :biggrin:
this is the link: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2410-W-SP.PDF

Latest

Trending

Trending