The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OMG just about where i was losing hope, THANKSSSS!!
Doing these practice papers has been a blessing. They really get you to think about what has been learnt. I still need to take my time though.

Been underlining certain parts of the question and re-reading it like 3 times which is actually better because i have a habit of rushing through the exam. Seems to be working. 1hr 15 is plenty of time.

Right i'm off to celebrate with some Belgian beer or whatever's going!:absinth:
What have your teachers advised, what the last two FIVE marker questions will be on?
Is there a difference between channel proteins and carrier proteins and if there is, what are they. Do these types of questions generally come up in exam papers because i havent seen any
Original post by TheFootyKing19
What have your teachers advised, what the last two FIVE marker questions will be on?

what have yours advised?
My teacher hasnt given us much advice on the upcoming exam!
Thank you Mocking_bird for the info on the heart and the transport
Reply 106
Original post by Mocking_bird

fancy seeing you here :P I'm in a rare adventure away from the vet thread! So going to fail this exam :frown:
Can someone please explain to me the absorption in the small intestine chapter especially the co transport of glucose molecules. It is page 63 and 64 in the nelson thornes book. Thanks.
Original post by Leigh303
fancy seeing you here :P I'm in a rare adventure away from the vet thread! So going to fail this exam :frown:

Well hi there, this is the exam i'm most confident on to be honest :colondollar:
Chemistry/Maths are giving me issues hahah. :frown:
Reply 109
Original post by Mocking_bird
Well hi there, this is the exam i'm most confident on to be honest :colondollar:
Chemistry/Maths are giving me issues hahah. :frown:

I only have chemistry, my mock for it went fine but havent done much of it over Xmas :s kinda wish I had core 1 maths really, get it out the way!

I have just done all the questions in the biology textbook.. Lovely. My favourite bit is TB for obvious vetty reasons :P
Original post by xDesertRose
Is there a difference between channel proteins and carrier proteins and if there is, what are they. Do these types of questions generally come up in exam papers because i havent seen any

Channel proteins are involved in facilitated diffusion. Carrier proteins are involved in both facilitated diffusion and active transport. Therefore, only carrier proteins require the use of energy in the form of ATP at any stage. As carrier proteins are also involved in active transport, they can work against a concentration gradient as well as with a concentration gradient.

I've not seen any questions directly asking for the differences, but I've seen many questions where you've had to be aware of the differences and then apply this knowledge to other questions.

For example, you may be asked for two differences between facilitated diffusion and active transport. You should really stick with the fact that active transport requires energy in the form of ATP and that active transport works against a concentration gradient as it's the safest way to ensure the marks, but you could also be given a mark for mentioning the proteins.
Original post by Leigh303
I have just done all the questions in the biology textbook

If you're referring to the Nelson Thornes Biology textbook and require the answers for the exam-style questions then I can send them to you so you can check them.
Reply 112
has anyone got the june11 m.s?
Original post by cricketman
Can someone please explain to me the absorption in the small intestine chapter especially the co transport of glucose molecules. It is page 63 and 64 in the nelson thornes book. Thanks.

A brief overview of the Na+/Glucose co-transport mechanism:

An Na+/K+ pump transports sodium ions out of the cell by active transport. Glucose molecules and sodium ions bind to the carrier proteins and the sodium ions diffuse into the cell, carrying the glucose molecules with them. Inside the cells, the glucose molecules and sodium ions leave the carrier protein. The glucose concentration of the cell rises and the glucose diffuses to the other end of the cell. Glucose molecules then move into the blood by facilitated diffusion.

Also, note that fructose moves entirely by facilitated diffusion.
Original post by arnab
has anyone got the june11 m.s?

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, then I'll happily send it to you.
Reply 115
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/biol1-revison

Made this a while ago, hope it helps.

Best of luck :biggrin:
Original post by -Simon-
http://pdfcast.org/pdf/biol1-revison

Made this a while ago, hope it helps.

Best of luck :biggrin:

I've got the feeling this was produced pre-2008 specification as it's got terms like allosteric site in it which aren't required now, but are still very much useful to know. It is definitely a useful tool to have as a template to work from, which I'm sure many others will appreciate. Thank you very much for posting it.

Edit: I don't know why I wrote pre-2008 specification, as even if I didn't check your age, I know what the specification for 2008 was and even though it hasn't changed that much there wasn't the same content for immunity and vaccination.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by Tullia
I've got the feeling this was produced pre-2008 specification as it's got terms like allosteric site in it which aren't required now, but are still very much useful to know. It is definitely a useful tool to have as a template to work from, which I'm sure many others will appreciate. Thank you very much for posting it.

Nope, I sat the exam last year and created these pages for my own revision. I just find that using allosteric site etc. helps understanding....and is a fun word. :biggrin:

No problem. :smile:

If anyone needs any help for Unit 1 or Unit 2 just PM me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Simon-
Nope, I sat the exam last year and created these pages for my own revision. I just find that using allosteric site etc. helps understanding....and is a fun word. :biggrin:

No problem. :smile:

If anyone needs any help for Unit 1 or Unit 2 just PM me.

Personally, I always use the word when referring to non-competitive inhibition, but I've found I'm an exception amongst my peers due to it not being required for the syllabus. Oh well. Each to their own.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade/marks did you get for Unit 1 & 2?
Reply 119
Original post by Tullia
Personally, I always use the word when referring to non-competitive inhibition, but I've found I'm an exception amongst my peers due to it not being required for the syllabus. Oh well. Each to their own.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade/marks did you get for Unit 1 & 2?

I just like key words..in biology that is, despise them in Chemistry.

Unit 1: A: 90%

Unit 2: A: 93%

Latest

Trending

Trending