The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Got 72 or 73 :biggrin:
Reply 121
That was quite a tricky paper. :P
I messed up 9c and got a negative number because I read the question wrong and I thought that £29850 was the the money earned over ten years, and 8d really confused me. D: But the rest of the questions were reasonably okay.
Omg I am nott happy, i really was going for 100UMS but edexcel totally made sure that that wouldnt happen this year. LOOOL omg compared to the past papers this was a bit out of proportion!

I got them all right except for-

The question about proving they dont intersect- i just said that the two equations didnt factorise, i didnt even mention b^2-4ac<0 because It was worded so weirdly.. (1)

The question at the end I messed up one of my co-ordinates, I got the B coordinate but the other one I made a silly mistake somewhere (2)

The area of my triangle was wrong :/ (2)

The k>2 question I just did the cubic graph shifted to the right by 2 and said that was the minimum shift :/ (2)

Overall I think this adds up to 7 marks off...

So I got 68/75 :/

this is the LOWEST mark I've gotten out of ALL of my past papers- I averaged 97% on those papers and this is 91%...

Just like everyone else, I think im relying on everyone else to do rubbish so that the UMS goes down LOOL tbh its a fair suggestion, there were girls crying when we came out of the exam ffs...

Ugh! I can really just focus on physics next friday and try and get 100 ums in that :frown:

A
so what do you guys recon will be an A (raw mark)??
Reply 124
im just wondering if there is only 2 graph questions where you have the real co ordinate, say you draw the graph but only write 0 and 2 on the x axis and not the actual co ordinates would you loose a mark?
Original post by yaboy
im just wondering if there is only 2 graph questions where you have the real co ordinate, say you draw the graph but only write 0 and 2 on the x axis and not the actual co ordinates would you loose a mark?

no that is still full mark
On the first question, do you integrate the original equation given?
Reply 127
Original post by dan94adibi
no that is still full mark

you sure?
my teacher basically told me i would be lucky to get the mark because they specifically requested co ordinates but on every marksheet ive checked on pastpapers the graph usually just have the numbers
Original post by aamir.hussain
for the one where u have to show tht they dont intersect you have to equal the two equations together and they shouldnt equal by sub ing in x

I equated them and said it doesn't factorise, I hope that's sufficient.
Reply 129
Original post by Apocalyptic Fish
I equated them and said it doesn't factorise, I hope that's sufficient.

dont think your gonna get all the marks because a lot of equations cant be factorised thats when you have to use quadratic or completing the square, i completed the square and got a negative root but i carried on and never left a comment saying it cant be solved :/ hope i get all the marks though
Reply 130
Original post by Mr.cool
only 3. Most years there are 2/3. I think you are write that a lot more coordinate gemeotry came up but that means boundaries will be low.

Hi
With all due respect your assumption, along with others is somewhat optimistic.
I disagree that 100UM will be less than 70.

I appreciate students find the exam they have just sat the hardest of all time. 9/10 times thats because they were under pressure.

The paper was not straight forward but by no means a killer. There were some harder questiins but the start was very straight forward.
Original post by yaboy
dont think your gonna get all the marks because a lot of equations cant be factorised thats when you have to use quadratic or completing the square, i completed the square and got a negative root but i carried on and never left a comment saying it cant be solved :/ hope i get all the marks though

The one with the translation, I didn't even know was a translation in the exam because I've never seen it in that form before FFS!
Reply 132
Original post by xy5
Hi
With all due respect your assumption, along with others is somewhat optimistic.
I disagree that 100UM will be less than 70.

I appreciate students find the exam they have just sat the hardest of all time. 9/10 times thats because they were under pressure.

The paper was not straight forward but by no means a killer. There were some harder questiins but the start was very straight forward.

Acutally i found it very easy imo. Though i just felt seeing as my other peers found it harder than normal. To be honest i felt if edexcel had made more exams like this then this would have been an easy paper. I just said 70 as i compared this to JUNE 2009 which has a 100 cap at 71. Thats why i said 70. We never know until it comes out.
Reply 133
Original post by Arsey
I think I will create two types of thread a pre-exam and post exam thread.

Pre-exam threads understandably need to be locked, but it seem to take ages for them to be unlocked.

Here are my model answers, written on the paper. I thought it was a hard paper in comparison to previous ones.

How did you find it?

Q1. Fairly standard calculus question. (6m)

Q2. Pretty easy Surds (6m)

Q3. Easy inequalities (6m)

Q4. Standard iteration sequences (6m)

Q5. a) unusual qu will cause probs (4m)

Q5. b) standard sketching (4m)

Q6. Coordinate geometry, not easy but fairly standard (7m)

Q7. Easy standard calculus question (5m)

Q8. Fairly tricky sketching / transforming question. First 5 marks were easy though. (10m)

Q9. Quite an odd AP question, lots of errors will be made on this qu (9m)

Q10. Calculus/Coordinate geometry again, this one will cause many probs too (11m)

So I do think it was a harder than normal paper but not stupidly hard. The first 24 marks should be bankers, I would say there were 40-45 pretty easy marks. So I would not expect very low boundaries.

Guessing boundaries is far from easy; Jan C1 boundaries are typically higher than those in June. More entries in June, more students retaking... only once has the boundary for an A dipped below 60 for an A in the past C1 Jan papers.

C1 Jan 11 was definitely easier and that was 62 for an A.

I am going to go for

100UMS = 73
90UMS = 66
80UMS = 59
70UMS = 52
60UMS = 45
50UMS = 38
40UMS = 31

ure 1st answers wrong
Reply 134
Original post by Apocalyptic Fish
The one with the translation, I didn't even know was a translation in the exam because I've never seen it in that form before FFS!

lol i found most questions pretty easy but the question where they did not intersect is a question ive never seen and ive seem to have got a few marks if not full marks for that, but that last question was horrible problem is them two questions are 8 marks so as soon as you fail them 89% is the max you can get
i got 61/75 i think
is dat an A???

i thought it was a reallli gud paper
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by Qari
ure 1st answers wrong

err it's definitely not wrong :smile:
Reply 137
whens results day for january exams
Its not gonna be below 60 for 80 ums and same goes for 100 ums it will be above 72.
Reply 139
Original post by oli_G
Hi, for 9(b) I did the correct working for everything except I didn't multiply 1800 by 5, therefore getting the wrong value for T.

I then used this value in 9(c) using the same method as you but obviously got a different answer.

How much do you think I will be penalised for doing this?

Sorry if I double posted this but wanted to make sure it was in the right place.

then you might loose two marks or 1 might be because you will get ecf marks. in my mocks i did mistake in adding stuffs bt got 3/4.:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending