The Student Room Group

Psychology aggression help

Does anyone have any notes on 'Approaches, Issues and Debates' concerning 'group display of aggression in humans'?

Such as:
Freud
Influence from the group (Le Bon)
Convergence theory
Emergent norm theory (Turner and Killian)
Value added theory (Smelser) The only one I have for this is ethnocentric - cultruall bias

I'm so confused on what else to put. :confused:

Also, does anyone have any aggression essay questions they could provide me?!

Thanks!
Is this for AQA(A)? If it is then the topics you're talking about don't seem to fit with the spec....

For AQA(A) you need to discuss lynch mobs, religious rituals, sports events and xenophobia. The theories are power-threat hypothesis and costly signalling theory. The IDA focuses on imposed etics and ethnocentrism, the fact that there are many non-aggressive groups, and the problems with trying to apply a single theory to explain group displays of human aggression.
Reply 2
:)J
OP
Original post by PsychTeacher(UK)
Is this for AQA(A)? If it is then the topics you're talking about don't seem to fit with the spec....

For AQA(A) you need to discuss lynch mobs, religious rituals, sports events and xenophobia. The theories are power-threat hypothesis and costly signalling theory. The IDA focuses on imposed etics and ethnocentrism, the fact that there are many non-aggressive groups, and the problems with trying to apply a single theory to explain group displays of human aggression.

Yep, this is for AQA-A.

In the psychology AQA-A book by Nelson Thomas, they talk about: influence from the group, convergence theory, emergent norm theory & value added theory. However, my other psychology book talks about lynch mobs with the power-threat hypothesis, religious rituals with costly signalling theory.

As the convergence theory etc isn't on the syllabus, shall I scrap my notes and re-do them based on my other book for this part of the chapter?!

Thank you so so so so so so much for your help :smile: :smile:
The specification is very vague, but when I teach aggression for AQA A I concentrate on lynch mobs, religious rituals, sports events and xenophobia as they fit nicely with power-threat and costly-signalling, and the synoptic evaluations (IDA) are relatively easy to argue. Taking that approach has achieved high marks in the last couple of PSYA3 exams. Look at my website for more info (click the blue and white down arrow at the bottom right of my posts).
Reply 4
:)J
OP
Original post by PsychTeacher(UK)
The specification is very vague, but when I teach aggression for AQA A I concentrate on lynch mobs, religious rituals, sports events and xenophobia as they fit nicely with power-threat and costly-signalling, and the synoptic evaluations (IDA) are relatively easy to argue. Taking that approach has achieved high marks in the last couple of PSYA3 exams. Look at my website for more info (click the blue and white down arrow at the bottom right of my posts).

@psychTeacher,

I am rather confused on Institutional Aggression - in the Nelson book it talks about situational and dispositional causes. however, in the Collins book , it talks about the importation model, the deprivation model and the power of the situation and the effect of dehumanzing labels. Which one should I learn?! They both talk about completely different things :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending