The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jthorb
On hold from manchester, interview at aberdeen...

Gcse 4 a*'s, 5 a's, 3b's
Alevel AAAa
UKCAT 685

Thats good stats and hopefully you'll get a spot:smile:
Original post by SophieM123
also got rejected today

Boo sorry to hear that... Did they give you a reason why?
have you got other offers?
Reply 782
Letter of rejection came through this morning, so upset :frown:

Stats for those interested:
GCSE: 4A*, 6A + 1 B
A-levels: AAAa (achieved)
UKCAT: 640

Work experience:
3 hours every sunday for 15 months in a hospice
2 hours every wednesday for 12 months in a charity for people with disabilities
1 week full time work experience at A&E
1 week experience at Minor Injuries unit
Did a skydive for charity
Organised a charity fun day
+ extracurriculars such as charity captain at sixth form; sailing, swimming + kayaking; Saxophone workshops

Well done to everybody with interviews - can't even imagine how much you guys must have done if I didn't manage to get an interview haha! :smile:
Reply 783
Original post by jme18

Work experience:
+ extracurriculars such as charity captain at sixth form; sailing, swimming + kayaking; Saxophone workshops

Well done to everybody with interviews - can't even imagine how much you guys must have done if I didn't manage to get an interview haha! :smile:

Jeez man you have a pretty impressive application :P But remember a huge part of medicine application is luck and just how the selector on the day feels. I got an interview from Plymouth but not from Exeter even though apparently they are exactly the same requirements (purely academic) so it can just be a lottery.
Reply 784
Original post by theth
Jeez man you have a pretty impressive application :P But remember a huge part of medicine application is luck and just how the selector on the day feels. I got an interview from Plymouth but not from Exeter even though apparently they are exactly the same requirements (purely academic) so it can just be a lottery.

Haha yeah a lot of it is luck! I'm actually going to give BSMS a ring tomorrow because I a) want feedback and b) Am a bit skeptical about what aspect of my application wasn't good enough - I applied to BSMS last year but was given 24.5/30 for my application (had AABB at AS so no wonder!), but this year I have full marks for academics, and my PS hasn't changed so surely I would have the same score for my PS and with a better academic score I would have been likely to get an interview?! Odd, oh well!
I also applied to Plymouth and didn't get an interview, because I'd missed the UKCAT cut-off in VR by 20 marks, even though I've got my a-levels and they said they would waive the ukcat for those with achieved grades :P
just can't win..!! Praying Queen's Belfast liked me at interview hahahahahaah :/
I still haven't even heard yet! they are taking agessss!
Reply 786
Original post by Bubblezzzz
I still haven't even heard yet! they are taking agessss!

me too.
Original post by Hotfudgechoc
Boo sorry to hear that... Did they give you a reason why?
have you got other offers?

No reason why, just the standard letter i think saying you've been unsuccessful this time etc and offered me another course at the uni to apply for.
No offers yet, had two interviews at Durham and Leicester, waiting to hear back from those and haven't heard anything from Cardiff yet either.
Stats were:
GCSE: 9A*s 3As
AS results: AAAB
Predicted A*AA
UKCAT: 2900 (725 average)

Hope your application is going well :smile: have you heard anything from bsms yet? x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 788
Hi, was wondering did BSMS ask you to send your transcript? have they replied back to you when you sent it??
Because i scanned my transcript,sent it by email and never heard back from them.
Any way lets just wait,good luck everyone:wink:
Reply 789
Original post by Jthorb
On hold from manchester, interview at aberdeen...

Gcse 4 a*'s, 5 a's, 3b's
Alevel AAAa
UKCAT 685

Best of luck with them. Did the rejection come on track or post ?? I have had 3 rejections Brighton last one waiting to hear !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 790
Didn't see posts on top lol !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 791
Sorry hear hopefully u will get in some were else
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 792
Original post by jme18
Haha yeah a lot of it is luck! I'm actually going to give BSMS a ring tomorrow because I a) want feedback and b) Am a bit skeptical about what aspect of my application wasn't good enough - I applied to BSMS last year but was given 24.5/30 for my application (had AABB at AS so no wonder!), but this year I have full marks for academics, and my PS hasn't changed so surely I would have the same score for my PS and with a better academic score I would have been likely to get an interview?! Odd, oh well!
I also applied to Plymouth and didn't get an interview, because I'd missed the UKCAT cut-off in VR by 20 marks, even though I've got my a-levels and they said they would waive the ukcat for those with achieved grades :P
just can't win..!! Praying Queen's Belfast liked me at interview hahahahahaah :/

Did u apply during gap year then. ?? I have 3 rejections just waiting on Brighton and when re apply next defo going to apply to Belfast. What was the place like when u went to interview ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieM123
No reason why, just the standard letter i think saying you've been unsuccessful this time etc and offered me another course at the uni to apply for.
No offers yet, had two interviews at Durham and Leicester, waiting to hear back from those and haven't heard anything from Cardiff yet either.
Stats were:
GCSE: 9A*s 3As
AS results: AAAB
Predicted A*AA
UKCAT: 2900 (725 average)

Hope your application is going well :smile: have you heard anything from bsms yet? x

Oh my gosh such great stats! Good luck with the other two interviews and I hope they give you a place. 😊
Thank you.. I haven't heard yet though still waiting for three unis Keele, Liverpool and of course BSMS and got rejected from lancaster. BSMS did ask for me to send them transcripts for my access course. I got all distinctions in all the exams. Im an access student by the way and a reapplicant. I hope the request is a good sign other than that I haven't heard anything yet. Four months is a long time😣

you have a very strong application so im sure you'll get a spot. Keep us updated. Good luck again. Xx
Original post by ahm9
Hi, was wondering did BSMS ask you to send your transcript? have they replied back to you when you sent it??
Because i scanned my transcript,sent it by email and never heard back from them.
Any way lets just wait,good luck everyone:wink:

Not sure who this was directed for but Im in the same place as you. They asked me to send my transcripts too and like you I emailed it to them.
They said on my email to not to expect a confirmation email as they have a huge volume of applicants to sort through. I'm paraphrasing so we just have to wait to hear back from them. I'm starting to get a dreaded feeling. I really hope we get good news. Just trying to keep strong it's bit hard though isn't it?!😢

Anyway...Good luck to you too...I really hope you get an interview and all those still waiting! 😊
Original post by jme18

Work experience:

Well I can just go ahead and give up hope myself in that case.
Nice stats though, all the best.
Original post by bssjonny
Well I can just go ahead and give up hope myself in that case.
Nice stats though, all the best.

I feel exactly the same.. I have no chance!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Rebeelouise
I feel exactly the same.. I have no chance!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well, I can say that my stats are real lower than the two cases that got rejected today.Why didn`t they reject those which are not so good first?
It is so awful to see such fantastic applicants receiving rejections!

Just so I can prepare myself... for those who have received rejections, was this via email, post or a UCAS track update?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 799
I'm glad I'm not the only one still waiting for a reply from BSMS as a graduate! Did any of the graduates who applied obtain their degrees from Brighton or Sussex uni's?
I have a degree in Molecular Medicine and my A-levels aren't great, so after reading a lot of the thread I'm not too hopeful anymore!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending