The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Law / Maitrise Applicants 2012

Hey,

Just thought I'd start a thread for all those with offers for the Exeter Law/Maitrise course! Anyone thinking of firming it and where else have you applied? Also just to get an idea - how many of you are bilinguals?

Really looking forward to it!!

Scroll to see replies

I have an offer for the Maitrise. It's my insurance (although I prefer this course to my firm) and Bristol's my firm. I am bilingual. :L

Going to the Law open day tomorrow, we shall see how good it is! I haven't even visited the campus yet :/
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Hey! I've got an unconditional offer for this course, which I'm probably about to accept. (Irrespective of the outcome of my UCL application.

Original post by L-C
how many of you are bilinguals?

I am utterly not bilingual :/ in fact, its about 8 months since my A2 speaking exam and counting... :/ haven't spoken French at all during my gap year...!

Original post by AnyoneOutThere
It's my insurance (although I prefer this course to my firm) and Bristol's my firm.

Interesting, I have an offer from Bristol for Law/French which I'm gonna decline in favour of Exeter's Maitrise program. Hmmmm.

Original post by AnyoneOutThere
Going to the Law open day tomorrow, we shall see how good it is!

Same. We shall. Annoyed though, because my train only gets in at 13.45 and I probably won't have much time for th egeneral stuff (mainly interested in accomodation, so I know what to apply for.)

:smile:
P.S. (!) My UCAS says course starts 1st Oct. Uni website says term starts 24th September, and "Welcome week" the week before. Do you think Exeter just cba'd to put the actual date into UCAS? What does yours say, what do other courses say? (Dreaming of a week in bed recovering between freshers and lectures)
Original post by mathsmusicfrench
P.S. (!) My UCAS says course starts 1st Oct. Uni website says term starts 24th September, and "Welcome week" the week before. Do you think Exeter just cba'd to put the actual date into UCAS? What does yours say, what do other courses say? (Dreaming of a week in bed recovering between freshers and lectures)

Just received an unprompted email from the uni:

Dear mathsmusicfrench

We are emailing to clarify the term dates for this programme. Listed below are the confirmed term dates for the first year of your programme. The term dates we have provided in any earlier correspondence to you are correct and match the dates below.

However, we are aware that UCAS shows the term as starting on the 1st October. Please disregard the dates published by UCAS; these will be updated as soon as technical issues have been resolved.

Autumn Term: Mon 24 September 2012 Fri 14 December 2012
Spring Term: Mon 7 January 2013 - Fri 29 March 2013
Summer Term: Mon 29 April 2013 - Fri 14 June 2013

Please note that the start date given above is the official start date of your programme of study. However all new students are advised to attend the 'Welcome Week' which runs from Sunday 16 September to Sunday 23 September 2012.

For further information about term dates please see http://www.exeter.ac.uk/staff/termdates/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I got on unconditional offer for law :smile: Other offers were from sussex and queen mary but i think i am going to accept exeter. QM is supposed to be better for law but i prefer the area of Exeter.
And yes i am fluent in german and english.
Reply 6
L-C
OP
Just received an unprompted email from the uni:

Dear mathsmusicfrench

We are emailing to clarify the term dates for this programme. Listed below are the confirmed term dates for the first year of your programme. The term dates we have provided in any earlier correspondence to you are correct and match the dates below.

However, we are aware that UCAS shows the term as starting on the 1st October. Please disregard the dates published by UCAS; these will be updated as soon as technical issues have been resolved.

Autumn Term: Mon 24 September 2012 Fri 14 December 2012
Spring Term: Mon 7 January 2013 - Fri 29 March 2013
Summer Term: Mon 29 April 2013 - Fri 14 June 2013

Please note that the start date given above is the official start date of your programme of study. However all new students are advised to attend the 'Welcome Week' which runs from Sunday 16 September to Sunday 23 September 2012.

For further information about term dates please see http://www.exeter.ac.uk/staff/termdates/

Yes I just got that email too - quite ironic!
Reply 7
Original post by L-C
Yes I just got that email too - quite ironic!

^^ yeah same, just out of interest what accomodation are you guys considering? catered/self catered etc ?
Reply 8
L-C
OP
Original post by L - Jilla94
^^ yeah same, just out of interest what accomodation are you guys considering? catered/self catered etc ?

Catered personally - but I really want a single room yet have heard that lots of catered people could get twins - which I would certainly not be happy with!!! You?
Reply 9
Original post by L-C
Catered personally - but I really want a single room yet have heard that lots of catered people could get twins - which I would certainly not be happy with!!! You?

ahh i see, yeah i've heard that aswell actually. I'm edging more towards self-catered myself, seeing as i prefered the looks of that accomodation and the massive price difference :tongue:
ahh i see, yeah i've heard that aswell actually. I'm edging more towards self-catered myself, seeing as i prefered the looks of that accomodation and the massive price difference :tongue:

Yeah I prefer self-catered too, social areas seem better, flat arrangement is good. Although the kitchen we saw in Lafrowda didn't have much room for sitting in it. Also I can cook/live/generally sort myself out and I've been living in a student house for this year anyway, would be weird to go back to a boarding-school type set up... Looking at St Germans and Rowe House in terms of location, although I don't think we get a choice? Also I need self-catered as I will have to stay through some of Christmas and Easter. Essay over!

P.S. I'm 99.999% firming this tomorrow!
Original post by L-C

Q. Can I have a single room in catered halls?

A. The majority of our rooms are single. Within catered halls of residence there are a number of twin rooms. As well as the economical benefit, we spend a lot of time allocating students to twin rooms with similar interests so it is extremely likely that you can make a friend for life.

You can state in the notes section of your application if you would prefer to share a room. Please note we cannot guarantee a single or shared room.
Yeah I prefer self-catered too, social areas seem better, flat arrangement is good. Although the kitchen we saw in Lafrowda didn't have much room for sitting in it. Also I can cook/live/generally sort myself out and I've been living in a student house for this year anyway, would be weird to go back to a boarding-school type set up... Looking at St Germans and Rowe House in terms of location, although I don't think we get a choice? Also I need self-catered as I will have to stay through some of Christmas and Easter. Essay over!

Yeah they showed me around one of the Lafrowda flats aswell when i went on one off the offer holder days, i think I might apply for lafrowda seeing as it didn't seem too far from the law school :P might have to start learning how to cook if this is going to work though :colondollar: didn't get a chance to see any other accomodation that time around, i think we get to put like a first, second and third choice? (would make sense). Same here hopefully :cool: just need to figure out where to put as my insurance :s-smilie:
Reply 13
L-C
OP
Q. Can I have a single room in catered halls?

A. The majority of our rooms are single. Within catered halls of residence there are a number of twin rooms. As well as the economical benefit, we spend a lot of time allocating students to twin rooms with similar interests so it is extremely likely that you can make a friend for life.

You can state in the notes section of your application if you would prefer to share a room. Please note we cannot guarantee a single or shared room.

Fab thanks - I think I'll be stating in the notes section that I would prefer not to share!!
Original post by L-C
Fab thanks - I think I'll be stating in the notes section that I would prefer not to share!!

Prefer not to share might not do it! How about, "Bagpipes player, love to stay on top of my practice. Suffered from sleep-playing in the past. Also I can never find time to shower." I think that would secure a single room, even in an entirely twin-room hall! (I don't think such a place exists)
just firmed my place, so hopefully i'll be joining some (if not all of you guys) in September :biggrin: :cool:
Reply 16
Firming my offer for straight LLB this week! :biggrin: Gonna apply for self-catered accom. :smile:
Reply 17
L-C
OP
Prefer not to share might not do it! How about, "Bagpipes player, love to stay on top of my practice. Suffered from sleep-playing in the past. Also I can never find time to shower." I think that would secure a single room, even in an entirely twin-room hall! (I don't think such a place exists)

Fantastic! That's my new plan :wink:
Reply 18
L-C
OP
just firmed my place, so hopefully i'll be joining some (if not all of you guys) in September :biggrin: :cool:

Original post by JodPet
Firming my offer for straight LLB this week! :biggrin: Gonna apply for self-catered accom. :smile:

Woo exciting - think I'll be firming it too in the next few days so look forward to seeing you guys there! :biggrin:
Reply 19
L-C
OP

Did you firm this???!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending