The Student Room Group

MA Publishing

I'm in a bit of a mare deciding whether to apply to UCL or LCC.

UCL has a great reputation, but it's course isn't that practical. LCC belongs to the University of the Arts (which overall is recognised), and it's course is practical.

What to do?!:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Smarties113
I'm in a bit of a mare deciding whether to apply to UCL or LCC.

Neigh you're not!

UCL has a great reputation, but it's course isn't that practical. LCC belongs to the University of the Arts (which overall is recognised), and it's course is practical.

What to do?!:confused:

Getting into publishing has a huge amount to do with experience, and contacts, and sometimes just getting lucky. I don't think the difference between UCL and LCC, in terms of its 'name', is going to be a massive help. If the LCC course is more practical and gives you more experience to talk about in an interview, then I would go for that.
Hello,
I work in publishing at the moment, and quite a few of my colleagues have done the MA in Publishing at either UCL or LCC. I'm not sure that it makes a difference in terms of prestige, as both seem to be equally respected. I think you should go with the course that you like the sound of.
Reply 3
Original post by dfw
If the LCC course is more practical and gives you more experience to talk about in an interview, then I would go for that.

I think I am leaning more towards the LCC for this reason as it will give me more practical skills, some form of portfolio, as well as something to talk about in interviews!

Original post by Renegade Dagger
Hello,
I work in publishing at the moment, and quite a few of my colleagues have done the MA in Publishing at either UCL or LCC. I'm not sure that it makes a difference in terms of prestige, as both seem to be equally respected. I think you should go with the course that you like the sound of.

As you currently work within publishing, do you think an MA is a worthwhile option? If you don't mind me asking, how did you get in to this industry? And, in your opinion what is the best way to gain work experience? I've been sending out speculative emails and letters, and have just registered for The London Book Fair but seem to be facing wall after wall!
Original post by Smarties113

As you currently work within publishing, do you think an MA is a worthwhile option? If you don't mind me asking, how did you get in to this industry? And, in your opinion what is the best way to gain work experience? I've been sending out speculative emails and letters, and have just registered for The London Book Fair but seem to be facing wall after wall!

I think it's easier to get a first job in publishing with an MA, rather than without, but it's not essential. I did a couple of internships between my 2nd and 3rd of university, and I think that's what got me my current job. I think it's a good idea if you send out cover letters to smaller publishers, as it's more likely they'll take you on. Though I know it's a very hard industry to get into.
I'll be at the London Book Fair :smile:
Reply 5
I think it's easier to get a first job in publishing with an MA, rather than without, but it's not essential. I did a couple of internships between my 2nd and 3rd of university, and I think that's what got me my current job. I think it's a good idea if you send out cover letters to smaller publishers, as it's more likely they'll take you on. Though I know it's a very hard industry to get into.

I think I didn't utilise my time at uni wisely enough, so didn't take on any internships. But, no time like the present :smile: yeah, got a few directories on the go that I'm working through at the mo. Well see you there haha. Thanks for all the advice though! Appreciated!
I've just been offered a place on the UCL MA and I'm trying to decide whether to accept it at the moment. Although the course at LCC does seem to be a bit more practical, they don't offer a work placement as far as I can see, whereas UCL find you a five-week placement (pretty sure they are the only uni that do this for you rather than making you arrange it yourself). I imagine five weeks' work at a publishers will probably offer just as much hands-on experience as the LCC course - and would possibly be more advantageous as you would make more contacts within the industry and get a better picture of everday working life. They also said at my interview that publishers sometimes offer work experience during the first two terms of the degree (e.g a couple of days a week).

What job do you have at the moment? How are you enjoying it? I'd love to hear about your experience and any advice you have if you've got a moment :smile:
Reply 7
The fact that they arrange a placement for you is what drew me to UCL at the start, but even though LCC doesn't have a placement they have an apprenticeship programme with several publishers that only we can apply for and an international publishing house trip. Much like UCL there are many industry speakers, but I've found more chances to network (from what I've read/seen). Also, I can take extra classes such as HTML coding etc depending on what area I may want extra skills on. Which I think will be overall useful to me as I am unsure what kind of publishing and what area in the house to undertake at the mo.

Plus, if accepted I could be in line with getting a scholarship. May not agree, but I think this is why I'm going for LCC.
Reply 8
Original post by thepiglette
I've just been offered a place on the UCL MA and I'm trying to decide whether to accept it at the moment. Although the course at LCC does seem to be a bit more practical, they don't offer a work placement as far as I can see, whereas UCL find you a five-week placement (pretty sure they are the only uni that do this for you rather than making you arrange it yourself). I imagine five weeks' work at a publishers will probably offer just as much hands-on experience as the LCC course - and would possibly be more advantageous as you would make more contacts within the industry and get a better picture of everday working life. They also said at my interview that publishers sometimes offer work experience during the first two terms of the degree (e.g a couple of days a week).

They are not the only school that offers a guaranteed placement. So does City University. I have been offered a place at both UCL and City, and I'm a bit confused about it. It's hard to get passed UCL's good name. I'm from abroad, so if I work abroad, UCL's name will be recognized, and City, maybe not. City told me that they have over a hundred guest speakers, so you do have a lot of opportunity to make contacts, and I'm pretty sure that UCL does that too... I'm not sure about LCC. I have not heard much about LCC, and considering the reaction that I get when I say that I got into UCL, the name is probably somewhat beneficial.
Hello,

Do you know anything about the Publishing MA course at Kingston or Oxford Brookes? I got accepted to both and am just wondering if one would be preferred over the other.
Reply 10
Hi,

i have been offered to City MA International Publishing. Any tips? I’m from Italy, and i had a 12-week experience in publishing. I’m looking for an MA that gives me not just good contact, but also good skills. Let me know!

Severino

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending