The Student Room Group

Gold DofE Cycling Expedition

hi guys,

im going on a gold dofe practice cycling expedition in 3 weeks time. I was wondering if you could give me any tips on what to take (ive heard tolken powder is essential) and what level of fitness is required. Im going for 4 days, 3 nights and i think we are doing about 35 miles/day.

Thanks for your advice

babyjustin
Reply 1
Did my actual gold DofE on foot but done a fair few cycling expeditions :smile:

So, what to take? Cycling shorts do help a fair bit, the lycra type with padding. You can then wear normal shorts, leggings, trackies whatever over the top without looking like an idiot. Cycling gloves help not only if you fall off but also prevent sore hands at the end of the day. A cheap pair of sunglasses can also be useful against flying insects/dust. Waterproofs and sunscreen. Pack of cards for the evening. Haribo or other sweeties for pockets.

A way of attaching your map case is a good idea... was out last weekend without one and in a T-shirt without pockets, so had to open pannier to extract and check map every 10 minutes, a bit annoying.

Fitness wise it depends. Gold DofE is something like 8 hours of activity of which at least 4 should be travelling. 35 miles at 10mph (not exactly a fast pace) is 3.5 hours so there should be plenty of time for stops and rests.

Hope that helps. Where are you heading off to?
Reply 2
I have a question:
Is a cycling expedition easier (and faster) than an expedition on foot?

And, can you do it outside your DofE centre?
Reply 3
Heading off to the Yorkshire Dales - so very hilly
Reply 4
babyjustin - Yorkshire Dales might be hilly but it is lovely if it's not misty, did my Gold final exped there. Take the hills slow, there's no shame in using low gears or even getting off and pushing so long as you get to the top eventually :smile:.

Josh-Dey - Cycling is a bit easier because you can rest a bit by freewheeling down hills and also the weight is normally taken by your bike and not your back. It's generally faster depending on terrain/hills/weather. However the DofE compensate for this by insisting you go further.

eg. 8 hour day with 2 hours for stops/project
6 hours walking at 4km/hour (2.5mph) = 24km (15 miles) walked.
6 hours cycling at 12km/hour (8mph) = 72km (45 miles) cycled.

You can usually do the expedition outside your centre - so long as your assessor is accredited by the DofE they have a number which they can use via eDofE, or sign the paper logbook. They don't even have to talk to your centre people, although it is a good idea to keep them informed :biggrin: .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending