The Student Room Group

How to revise poem anthology

Anyone know the best ways to revise the poem anthology for English Lit/Lang?

Got 2 weeks Easter holiday need some tips, not sure how to go about doing it.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/4298.pdf

Brand new anthology apparently so we don't know what's going to come up at all. Revise all 25 poems, what!!?!? ._.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, you need to revise all 25.

Instead of thinking it's an extreme amount, you should really be going into the exam knowing the context behind the poems. That's the important part you need to learn. The rest you should be able to quickly annotate during the exam (It helps to go in with a rough idea what each poem contains, but don't overload yourself by cramming every ounce of info about the poems).
Reply 2
I am having the exact problem here but I am doing English Lit edexcel ... My poem analysis is very poor therefore I need help. Can we actually revise unseen poetry that can come up in the exam? If yes can anyone give me the website to learn the backgrounds of the poem? my exam is in a month and a half and I really need to start knowing lots of stuff since my teacher is completely useless..
Reply 3
Thanks, Angry Spartan, that sounds like a good plan. I best get cracking! :P
Reply 4
At my school, we had the Head of English at AQA, or whatever senior role in English at AQA he had, and we went through poetry analysis for a whole afternoon.

We also got to go through an old mark scheme. We only really needed to mention 2, 3 parts of the poem, go into it in great depth and still be capable of getting 9 marks. I know this is AQA, and it doesn't really help answer the question you asked, but i think this could probably apply to some other questions of WJEC, and could be helpful to know.

If you come across unseen poetry, what's probably best is to look at some unseen poetry before the exam and analyse.
Reply 5
Original post by 08rbut
At my school, we had the Head of English at AQA, or whatever senior role in English at AQA he had, and we went through poetry analysis for a whole afternoon.

We also got to go through an old mark scheme. We only really needed to mention 2, 3 parts of the poem, go into it in great depth and still be capable of getting 9 marks. I know this is AQA, and it doesn't really help answer the question you asked, but i think this could probably apply to some other questions of WJEC, and could be helpful to know.

If you come across unseen poetry, what's probably best is to look at some unseen poetry before the exam and analyse.

I'm doing aqa.
Reply 6
No answer for me?
Original post by d.luffy
I am having the exact problem here but I am doing English Lit edexcel ... My poem analysis is very poor therefore I need help. Can we actually revise unseen poetry that can come up in the exam? If yes can anyone give me the website to learn the backgrounds of the poem? my exam is in a month and a half and I really need to start knowing lots of stuff since my teacher is completely useless..

I don't know what Edexcel does, but I think you've got it slightly wrong.

It should be one of any poems that you've learnt, and an unseen text, such as a newspaper article related to the poem.
Reply 8
The new gcse requires you to know the poems and not get them in the exam so you actually need to remember a few key quotes and that will be perfectly acceptable. Also, just look at which of the poems in the anthology go well together as they will give you a poem from the anthology and ask you to pick another poem to compare it with.
Original post by d.luffy
No answer for me?

I'm also doing the same exam board and I found the study guides by Josephine Pearce super helpful. I just went through the context and summary of them all as you can figure out the techniques easily in the exam just by annotating. By making these facts in to posters or mind maps really helped me understand them.

Hope this helps x
Is this GCSE or A-Levels?
unless he's been revising for his GCSEs for 6 years i don't think you'll be able to help him now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending