The Student Room Group

How much is your car insurance?

Scroll to see replies

£5000 per year..

Audi TT.

I'm going to down grade as i want to ride a yamaha yzf-r125 motorcycle, along side a BIGGER 1.1-1.3 car.
I thought the thought of driving a TT would justify what i have to pay on insurance, but it doesn't. The car is too small as well so all my mates fight for the limited space.
Reply 81
Original post by HeadintheClouds93
0 NCB, 18 and got insured 6 months after passing my test and I paid £740 fully comprehensive with me as the main driver. Alloy wheels declared and my car has no security what so ever. My postcode is rated D too, so the price is brilliant really.

How is it so low??
Reply 82
Renewed in January and I'd only been driving for four months at that point. £1028 Fully Comprehensive on a Peugeot 306 HDI Dturbo with Hastings Direct Premier. 20 years old and in a decent post code though.
My city post code rating.

E London E
1-9 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Refer
10-15, 17 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F *
16 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E *
18 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D *
EC London EC
1-4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Refer
I just tried go compare.

Cheapest quote was around £10,ooo

Most expensive quote £22,ooo

My sister also put in her details, few months older.

Cheapest quote, £3,ooo

Most expensive £10,ooo

Same address, same car, same answers to questions, for example estimated miles etc.

I'm pretty shocked right now, my sister is also gushing salt into my wounds by laughing, also claiming she's a better driver even though she does not hold a licence, not even provisional lol. :frown: NEED HELP.
Original post by iPhone
How is it so low??

I have a classic car :smile:
Reply 86
Currently £7600 a year with Admiral for Merc C200 Kompressor, additional £1400 for motorbike, which I don't have anymore but I cannot cancel the insurance I have to pay it till June.

Almost 19 year old.

At the end of the year, with 1 year no claim I will have it half price, or maybe even lower :smile:
Reply 87
130 a month with quinns for a mondeo 2.0 tdci (130 bhp), for 3rd party f&t with 2 years no claim.
Reply 88
When I pass my test hopefully in the next couple of weeks the quotes I have been given are £2300 for the year for a landrover freelander 2litre turbo diesel, on the other hand I am 20 and need a landrover for on the farm :smile: and thats fully comp
Reply 89
£740 fully comp for a group 17(34) car. 22, 5 years NCB, safest post-code area - with Elephant.
Don't worry, it gets better pretty quickly. I'm the primary driver on my car, fully comp, admittedly not in too bad a postcode area (but not the best), 22 and I'm in my 5th year no claims bonus and my insurance was £450 this year. Not crashing is good. :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by Thomas x
I'm 20, nearly 21. Passed about 5 months a go.

Drive a Golf 1.4 and costs me £212 a month. :eek:

That's by far the cheapest I can find with Quinn Direct. Other companies were quoting at least double that.

20, nearly 21, passed nearly 4 years ago

golf 1.6 costs me £1378 elephant, 3 years NCB main driver

When I first got insured at 17 I had the same car as you Golf 1.4 paid £3000 a year as the 2nd driver. It does come down eventually, you don't help yourself by driving a Golf though! It would be cheaper on a poo Citroen Saxo or something
I have a ka 1.3. Im 20. Been driving for 3 years.

Fully comp is £60.66 a month with Hastings Direct but it was cheaper i would have paid in full.

Mine was only £1200 when i first passed. I went on all those comparison websites then rang them to see if i could get a better deal. :smile:

Ooh and im the main driver on mine. Its probably cheaper if youre not :/ and im also in a decent postcode ( i think - dont know how to find that out)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
Mine is £2500 for the year. I'm really hoping it drops a bit.
£400 a year

I'm 21 (22 tomorrow) been driving for over three years, drive a 1 litre corsa.
Reply 95
Original post by laura130490
£400 a year

I'm 21 (22 tomorrow) been driving for over three years, drive a 1 litre corsa.

How do you find the 1 litre? Is it sluggish and slow? Does it struggle up the hill with passengers or stuff in the boot? I am considering getting a Corsa and have been against 1 litre ones.
Original post by iPhone
How do you find the 1 litre? Is it sluggish and slow? Does it struggle up the hill with passengers or stuff in the boot? I am considering getting a Corsa and have been against 1 litre ones.

It's absolutely fine for where I live (city) I don't think it's that slow, I've driven in 1.2 and 1.4 litre sports edition cars that my friends and family have and I can't tell much of a difference tbh. The only problems I have are when I drive in the country, it struggles up very steep hills. I would go for a 1.2 if you are worried about hills and things.
Reply 97
get a two litre turbo diesel, you won't look back. so much torque and acceleration, and really low fuel consumption especially when cruising at a steady speed on the motorway. I'll get 60mpg if i stick to 60mph.
Original post by persov
get a two litre turbo diesel, you won't look back. so much torque and acceleration, and really low fuel consumption especially when cruising at a steady speed on the motorway. I'll get 60mpg if i stick to 60mph.

Is that the VAG 2.0TDI? 140 or 170? My Mum's A3 has the 2.0TDI 140 in it and I have to agree that it is a pleasure to drive, it performs really well without much effort from the driver. The low down torque is good for blasting past people when overtaking. I have to say though that it's not a very rewarding engine though, as soon as you push it hard and go further up the rev-range it starts to feel gutless. When it comes to driving a car hard you can't beat a rev happy petrol engine. For 90% of drivers though a diesel makes so much more sense, it works so much better with the driving style that you are taught when learning as all the performance is in the first 3000-4000rpm and you don't miss out on anything by short shifting.

Personally I'm still looking back at the balls-out 9000rpm limiter in the RX-8 and liking what I see. Until diesel engines reward you properly for taking the car to the limiter before changing I won't consider them for anything more than a city/commuter car.
Reply 99
It's a mondeo TDCI. 130. Yeah I find overtaking is a breeze.

I've found that most the power is in the 3500-4500 range. limits at around 5000 off the top of my head. When you push it almost to the red line you can really feel the torque. Driven it to the limit several times, it may not be ideal but it still is pretty fun. A68 from Newcastle to Edinburgh was a real blast, and the other small roads round Wrexham

Pretty satisfied with the performance, and the car handles well for its size. Just wish I didn't have the stupid semi-auto box, think im gonna change it for a manual soon anyway. Don't really see any reason to go back to petrol, though I've never driven a petrol with similar power so maybe I don't have much to compare it to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending