The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

shinytoy
why are there so many atheists????

Perhaps it's because young people can no longer relate to the teachings of Christ. Can you blame them?
Reply 21
shinytoy

Why shouldn't there be many atheists?
Reply 22
shinytoy
extramaritial if outside of an existing marriage, or premaritial if before marriage

But it's still "sex".:rolleyes:
Reply 23
I would point out that not every religion forbids homosexual relationships or sex before marriage.
Reply 24
MasterTonberry
I

This is a strange quote. As long as believers of a certain religion do not harm others, I do not see what the problem is.

And neither would I, but unfortunately this doesnt always happen.
Reply 25
Talon
And neither would I, but unfortunately this doesnt always happen.

That's fair enough, if you're talking about religious belief becoming so influential that it stands to harm others who do not adhere to said religion.
Reply 26
morningtheft
I don't understand why this option is there.

What if someone's gay and they DO follow their religion's teachings regarding sexuality?

Or if they're gay and the answer is "no", then wouldn't "no - i observe most of the religion but i dont agree with the sexual teachings" be the relevant option?

the two main religions -christianity and islam both dont allow homosexuality.the reason i put it seperate to the 'no i dont agree with the sexual teachings' is in case being gay is genetic disposition which cant be helped in which case it is not an active choice not to agree with sexukla teachings, whereas for heteros it is.

Talon
I would point out that not every religion forbids homosexual relationships or sex before marriage.

i didnt say they did, did I? buddism allows it (see my link in the first post) in which case if you are buddist and you do follow the guidelines ie no sex unless you love the person and not hurt them, then you HAVE followed and agreed with the teachings, in which case the top answer is most appropriate
Reply 27
Did I say you did?
Reply 28
then why point it out if its so blindingly obvious?

anyway talon, just wondering cos u seem to have some interesting views, do you have a religion? or are you atheist?what do you think of religion?
Reply 29
:ditto:
In the end I know I will use some form of artificial contraception once I'm married.
Reply 30
i dunno i mean some studies have shown that the rhythm method, if done properly can be up to 97% effective - thats as good as the Pill almost! it is a bit of a pain to keep measuring your body temperature and discharge but i think its kind of good because the period of abstinance for 7 days when the woman is bleeding and 2-4 days when she is fertile just before mean the self control can build sexual tension, and also that the man can value the woman as a person, not just to have sex. i just think it is more natural not to use anything.
though i dont know what i'd do after i had eg 7 kids or something :eek:

i guess its better to be poor but in a big happy family than unhappy in a small wealthy one
Reply 31
shinytoy
i guess its better to be poor but in a big happy family than unhappy in a small wealthy one

But who's to say that a big family means its a happy one, and a small one is unhappy?

My family is perfectly happy and my parents only had two children.

Edit:

and also that the man can value the woman as a person, not just to have sex.

This does happen when you use condoms and the Pill as well. Just because the contraception is available, it doesn't mean that all couples do is have sex all the time!
Reply 32
shinytoy
then why point it out if its so blindingly obvious?

anyway talon, just wondering cos u seem to have some interesting views, do you have a religion? or are you atheist?what do you think of religion?

I follow the ideals of Paganism, though not strictly so. More Pagan than anything.
Reply 33
thats cool and uite unusual
No, but I do have my personality and interests to keep me in check.
Perhaps it's because young people can no longer relate to the teachings of Christ. Can you blame them?

WOAH gross over generalisation. I'm a young person and can fully relate to the teachings of Christ. And I'm sure that there are many young people who don't agree with sex before marriage purely on the principle rather than religious reasons (indeed, I have come across a few on TSR).
Also, I don't see how you can sum up all of Christ's teachings by using this one example. What about his teachings about telling the truth, or not bitching about others, or being respectful to your parents, or treating people as you would like to be treated yourself, etc etc etc. Are you telling me that you can relate to none of these?
Sex before marriage requires sacrifice, of course it does. And in today's society, it is a sacrifice that is hard to make, I'll be honest with you. BUT its not impossible. I've been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years now. I know loads of other young Christian couples who abide by the Word of God.
In my opinion, just because the morals of society have slipped (and I'm not just talking about sex before mariage here), it doesn't necessarily mean that the standards of God have slipped also.
It is easy for young people nowadays to relate to the teachings of God. It just means a personal sacrifice, as it has done since it was written down (I'm sure the young people 2000 years ago were horny as hell too), and nowadays most people aren't prepared to make that sacrifice.
Reply 36
shinytoy

Because people have finally woken up and smelt the bacon!

Just because people are atheist does not mean they have no morals/ethics, etc. I don't believe there is a God but i think that the 10 commandments are fair and just and i will stick by them. I mean it is just common sense!

I just think that the Bible is hugely metaphorical and tbh too good to be true! The Church needs to radically transform and move from medieval traditions and so forth and get into the 21st Century if it does not want to be completely disbanded. The only reason it was successful in the past was because the Church was so powerful, it used fear of eternal suffering if people did not do what it said or believe what it said...sounds like North Korea!

As people finally got the freedom to think for themselves, some decided in this case over 50% decided they did not need religion to govern their lives in some aspects. The Church is in serious trouble, it is losing people very quickly and it will collapse if it does not act. I don't really mind though.

Religion is the root of all evil, look at all the wars in history all of them can be rooted back to religion. Just think in the modern day and there was no religion, no religious terrorism, no tensions in Ireland, Israel/Palestine, India/Pakistan/Bangladesh and various other places in the world! If you truly want peace you have to get rid of religion for a start.

and why the feck would you give up sex before marriage or for your whole life because God said so! I mean really! :confused:

Graham
shinytoy
i dunno, i dont think He would. cos the Christian people who are devout and do good works like volunteers in 3rd world countries and saints lived like He did, and they are supposed be living proof that He is here today

You seem to be implying everyone should believe in the chrisitan God becuase some christians do good things.

Are you saying an atheist cannot do great and loving things just bcause they don't need to get their moral standards from a book, but have formed their own?

Many christians simply ignore what the bible says on this topic, and form their own opinions. An atheist is someone who does this about every aspect of morality, so I don't think you should put atheists down.
Reply 38
Absolutely. I am told to have as much filthy sex as possible (check Revelation X if you dont believe me!) and I follow this advice to the letter, as often as possible.
Reply 39
I am not of a religion but have quite strong morals. I have sex outside of marriage not because I don't want to 'sacrifice' but because it's enjoyable and it's nice to share it with someone you love and, as no-one is getting hurt, this doesn't contravene my morals.

Latest

Trending

Trending