The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Willo16
I'm hoping to go as soon as match. My assessment day is this Wednesday with IS in York. At first I really wanted to go to Bolivia, but since getting the call from IS I realised I'm probably more suitable for a Palestine placement. I'm so hopeful.

I've applied with International Service too do you have any advice for the assessment day?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 421
Hi!

Received an email highlighting that I'm in for a selection day on 08/04/2015.

So what am I expected to be doing that day? What sort of activities? Also, what is the general age of the volunteers - i'm 18 and feeling a bit nervous :/

Finally, how on earth am I supposed to raise £800? Presentations to a few local schools? Can I add my own donation? Do I need some of my own money for the trip? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea I just had mine yesterday! It was good just some group activities to see how you work in a team and discussion. Then the interview which was about 40 minutes and a short presentation at the end. Don't worry I'm a nervous person too but you just have to be yourself and be friendly :smile:
They will give you lots of ideas for fundraising! What charity are you going with?
Original post by Willo16
I'm sorry I in no way intended that. I'll be sure to use the full name of the charity from now on.

Ha, no problem I just wasn't too sure, have you any tips for the assessment days?
Reply 425
Original post by Willo16
They will give you lots of ideas for fundraising! What charity are you going with?

I'm assuming this questions was intended towards me (if not eeks!)
Got an email titled progressio selection day. Confused. Is that the general ten or is that the charity I've been placed with? Also, can I choose to go in October instead of this summer? :smile:
Original post by xeez96
I'm assuming this questions was intended towards me (if not eeks!)
Got an email titled progressio selection day. Confused. Is that the general ten or is that the charity I've been placed with? Also, can I choose to go in October instead of this summer? :smile:

Progressio is the charity you will be hopefully going with out of all the charities! When I went they asked if I still wanted to go in March, I said yes. Another girl said she asked if she could go later, they said if she was there that specific assessment day she had to go in March. So I'm not sure Progressio would react different try to that question. :smile:
Original post by lopikase123
Ha, no problem I just wasn't too sure, have you any tips for the assessment days?

I guess I would have prepared more for the interview which was 40 minutes and pretty intense questioning! Otherwise just show you can work in a team and are open minded :smile:
Reply 428
I've returned from VSO ICS Tajikistan.

Ask away :smile:
Literally just heard from international service that I'll be going to palestine in match :biggrin:
March* I don't know why my phone corrects it like that.
Hey guys! I applied for ics way back in October, but they've recently emailed me asking which charity I preferred and I've been assigned to vso. They've now emailed me saying they're going to invite me to an assessment day soon and I'm so nervous! Has anyone here been with vso and what was it like?? Thanks
Reply 432
Original post by Willo16
Progressio is the charity you will be hopefully going with out of all the charities! When I went they asked if I still wanted to go in March, I said yes. Another girl said she asked if she could go later, they said if she was there that specific assessment day she had to go in March. So I'm not sure Progressio would react different try to that question. :smile:

Did you go through progressio as well? The trip is for a long time. About 2 months right? How did you manage to spend the time apart from the ICS tasks? So what was a typical day like? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by xeez96
Did you go through progressio as well? The trip is for a long time. About 2 months right? How did you manage to spend the time apart from the ICS tasks? So what was a typical day like? Thanks! :smile:

I'm not sure if this is meant for me? I'm not going with Progressio. I am, though, going with International Service.
Original post by cdude
I've returned from VSO ICS Tajikistan.

Ask away :smile:

What was your project like? Did you live with a host family? Did you enjoy your placement? And what's Tajikistan like? Did you get to visit places? Did you need spending money? A lot of questions! Haha
Reply 435
Hey guys, does anyone know of anyone who wasn't successful at a selection day? :s-smilie: I had mine on Thursday and I'm so nervous about it! Keep worrying that I said the wrong things! Mine was with Tearfund if that makes any difference!
Original post by Willo16
Literally just heard from international service that I'll be going to palestine in match :biggrin:

Aaaah, well done! I've literally just applied for ICS IS/OPT now! Do you know how much competition there was for the March placement to go to Palestine? Please let us know how you're doing when you go!

Sorry if you've already answered this but any top tips? Also, do you know what the accommodation situation is for the Palestine placement?
Original post by fc93
Hey guys, does anyone know of anyone who wasn't successful at a selection day? :s-smilie: I had mine on Thursday and I'm so nervous about it! Keep worrying that I said the wrong things! Mine was with Tearfund if that makes any difference!

I don't know anyone who has been rejected I'm not with year fund though. Don't stress...when I got my call I was so nervous they were gonna reject me. They probably liked you a lot more than you even think :smile:
Reply 438
Original post by Willo16
What was your project like? Did you live with a host family? Did you enjoy your placement? And what's Tajikistan like? Did you get to visit places? Did you need spending money? A lot of questions! Haha

Hi there,

OK, so ICS operates with like 10 different charities, VSO is the main one and recognized worldwide. This is the charity i went with.

After the application process and success of the assessment day (nothing to worry about) they get in touch and give you the country you are assigned to. The give you the option of picking your top 3 countries you'd like to go but be aware you could be assigned to others.

We got given around $40 a week which is enough money to eat out- go to the pubs... In developing countries the dollar goes a long way! A bottle of coca cola/ fanta/ sprite costs just 32p!. I lived with a host family, really friendly but struggled a little with the language barrier for the first few days. Google translate played a big part in the first week haha. After a while the family got a little more confident with English and by the third week we didn't need the iPad to help us!

Yes, i got to visit the country quite a bit. ICS do community action days and also mid phase review and debrief where we stayed in a resort and one time in a floating hotel in the middle of a very beautiful lake surrounded by HUGE mountains. Breathtaking.

I can't speak for all charities under the ICS umbrella but i had a mixture of positive and negative experiences with my trip. I was very surprised with just how disorganized the charity. One of the main issues we faced was the fact that in the briefing we were given before we went- it said that we would be working with marginalized women on improving their businesses.. I ended up working in a tourism business and the owner had a 4X4 and regularly goes on holiday to the US. I was shocked just how a charity as big as VSO made the mistake of placing me and my other team members on projects that go against their briefing and overall mission statement.

Now, would i recommend ICS? For me personally i had a great experience. Made some great friends and learnt a lot about myself. Again, i can't speak for all the charities under ICS and in fact VSO- i'm just telling my views... but If you want to have a significant impact i would focus more on projects with smaller charities.

Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys I have my assessment day on the 4th feb for the charity: latitude. Has any one worked with that charity before or is anyone else applying for latitude?

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending