The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nilsdejongh
Just as a heads up i've heard from an ex-balloon volunteer that it's not solely about who'd be the best candidate to help on the volunteering projects but also who'd benefit the most out of the ICS experience. After all it's a government initiative to develop the UK Citizens too.

You got a Challenges Assessment day coming up? Mines on Tuesday!

Just out of interest did your ex balloon friend enjoy their placement?
Original post by peachpetals
Just out of interest did your ex balloon friend enjoy their placement?

Very much so - said it was one of the best experiences they've had in regards to work. They've just landed themselves an internship at Simon Kucher one of the worlds leading price consultants. The alumni for Balloon is very impressive too, with former volunteers working for McKinsey and Bain (Top 2 strategy consultants in the world).

All in all he thoroughly enjoyed it - what are you looking to go into? I'm looking to go into consulting so it's a fantastic opportunity to gain hands on consulting experience but also it's quite exotic and altruistic at the same time.
Very much so - said it was one of the best experiences they've had in regards to work. They've just landed themselves an internship at Simon Kucher one of the worlds leading price consultants. The alumni for Balloon is very impressive too, with former volunteers working for McKinsey and Bain (Top 2 strategy consultants in the world).

All in all he thoroughly enjoyed it - what are you looking to go into? I'm looking to go into consulting so it's a fantastic opportunity to gain hands on consulting experience but also it's quite exotic and altruistic at the same time.

Im personally looking to go into law. There has been a obsession for lawyers to be commercially aware and also understand the basics of business. Hopefully this scheme will help me out employment wise.

All in all he thoroughly enjoyed it - what are you looking to go into? I'm looking to go into consulting so it's a fantastic opportunity to gain hands on consulting experience but also it'll quite exotic and altruistic at the same time.

Wow i also had no idea the alumni was quite so impressive
How tough is the selection process for the assessment day/how many are unsuccessful?
I was also wondering how much everyone has actually had to raise? If £800 is the minimum, is it actually a fair bit more?
Original post by emmamay3
How tough is the selection process for the assessment day/how many are unsuccessful?

From my knowledge everyone on my training day got a offer and the ones that didn't were those who revealed their availability meant they couldn't go.

If you come from a high income family you will be asked to raise £1500. But most only have to raise £800. Its surprisingly easy to fundraise. I wouldn't worry.
Original post by emmamay3

I had my training weekend a few days ago, and saw quite a few people from my interview day. We got told that the only people who aren't successful are those who don't speak during the group activities.

Have you applied to go abroad this summer? I've fundraised £500 so far, most of which has been grants from charities so its not too difficult to reach the fundraising target.
Hi all

Hi all. I'm just about to graduate and am planning on volunteering internationally in August/September/October with the charity Restless Development through International Citizen Service. I'm lucky enough to have got through the first stage so will be going on a selection day soon. I was wondering if anyone on here had done volunteering with ICS or Restless Development before? Would you recommend the experience? What were your worst/best bits? It sounds like an incredible opportunity but I'm a little nervous because the longest I've been away on my own is 5 weeks in Kenya, but this placement is 10-12 weeks.

Also, the places available to volunteer with Restless Development are India, Nepal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Does anyone have any recommendations about which I should put as my preference?

Thank you!!
Reply 609
Original post by lisa96
I had my training weekend a few days ago, and saw quite a few people from my interview day. We got told that the only people who aren't successful are those who don't speak during the group activities.

Have you applied to go abroad this summer? I've fundraised £500 so far, most of which has been grants from charities so its not too difficult to reach the fundraising target.

Hi Lisa,

Do you mind letting me know which grants you've managed to get? I've been researching for what seems like hours, but don't seem to meet any of the criteria!

Thanks
Original post by K2345
Hi Lisa,

Do you mind letting me know which grants you've managed to get? I've been researching for what seems like hours, but don't seem to meet any of the criteria!

Thanks

Heyy,

I received £300 from The Joicey Trust which provides grants to people living in the North East and also the Alchemy Foundation who provide £100 to people volunteering with Raleigh International. I've also sent letters to other organisations and applied for a grant from my uni but haven't heard back :/
Reply 611
Original post by lisa96
Heyy,

I received £300 from The Joicey Trust which provides grants to people living in the North East and also the Alchemy Foundation who provide £100 to people volunteering with Raleigh International. I've also sent letters to other organisations and applied for a grant from my uni but haven't heard back :/

Thanks!

Yeah, I live in the south, but not London, which seems to rule me out of everything :frown:

Starting to wonder how I'm ever going to make £800 in 4 weeks without any large donations or access to Uni :/
Reply 612
Original post by lisa96
Raleigh sent us out a document with a list of organisations who provide grants and donations toward these kind of projects!

Where abouts are you from? I know there's a few in London which offer grants too i.e http://www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk/

Hi, which other ones in London offer grants? JPF is the only one I can find but I need extra support.
Original post by ziggycj
Hi, which other ones in London offer grants? JPF is the only one I can find but I need extra support.

Check out turn2us as they have a list of grants on their website.

If you're volunteering with Raleigh, then get in touch with The Alchemy Foundation as they give out £100 to volunteers
Original post by K2345
Thanks!

Yeah, I live in the south, but not London, which seems to rule me out of everything :frown:

Starting to wonder how I'm ever going to make £800 in 4 weeks without any large donations or access to Uni :/

One guy at my training weekend said that he wrote to his MP and they donated money towards his fundraising.

I've attached a picture of the ideas we came up with as a group, although I agree raising that amount of money without grants can prove challenging. image.jpg
Reply 615
Original post by lisa96
Check out turn2us as they have a list of grants on their website.

If you're volunteering with Raleigh, then get in touch with The Alchemy Foundation as they give out £100 to volunteers

Thanks. I looked on their and wasn't eligible for any. There all really specific. JPF seem to be the only place that allow individual grants for normal volunteering abroad.
Original post by lisa96
One guy at my training weekend said that he wrote to his MP and they donated money towards his fundraising.

I've attached a picture of the ideas we came up with as a group, although I agree raising that amount of money without grants can prove challenging. image.jpg

How was your training weekend what sort of things did you learn?
Original post by peachpetals
How was your training weekend what sort of things did you learn?

Hey

Training weekend was Friday evening until Sunday afternoon but it felt so much longer than that. Mine was in some park in north London and felt quite depressing being stuck inside and not allowed to leave.

I can't remember much of it, but we were in groups of 24 for the the whole weekend. Learnt a bit of what we'll be doing on placement, skills we'd like to gain, looking into what's meant by international development and poverty.

I found the training session to be a repeat of what I learnt in the selection day, but guess it depends on who you're volunteering with.
Reply 618
Has anyone had an assesment center with Balloon ventures?
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know if you could change the organisation your going with? Same country but different organisation.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending