The Student Room Group

A-level help!!!

I am about to pick my A-level subjects and I'm thinking about choosing
Moving Image Arts
Media Studies
ICT

I am hoping to go to university to study something with either computers or in the media so Graphic design, media studies, film studies etc.

Are these A level choices a good and most importantly FUN idea?
Those a levels aren't very respected but focusing on ICT it would be preferable to do computing or Maths (which is required for computer science)

also people generally do 4 a levels so maybe do English lit if you want to do something in media.
Reply 2
Yeah i agree with Helloworld_95. Pick your A levels according to what career you want to go into. Also think of a back up plan incase you decide not to study something to do with computers/graphic design. How about including english?...just a thought.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Those a levels aren't very respected but focusing on ICT it would be preferable to do computing or Maths (which is required for computer science)

also people generally do 4 a levels so maybe do English lit if you want to do something in media.

It's not as if the OP is applying for Law or Physics they don't need to be focusing on respected subjects. Unless the OP is aiming for an academic university.
Reply 4
Thanks for al of the comments and I appreciate them. Although my school is very limited in terms of A level choices, it does not offer maths or english or even individual sciences. I am looking at around 7 A's in my GCSE's, if I did decide to choose those three what options would I have in terms of courses at Uni? P.S I can only choose three A-level choices at my school!
Original post by Nathan_Clarke
Thanks for al of the comments and I appreciate them. Although my school is very limited in terms of A level choices, it does not offer maths or english or even individual sciences. I am looking at around 7 A's in my GCSE's, if I did decide to choose those three what options would I have in terms of courses at Uni? P.S I can only choose three A-level choices at my school!

You should have applied for another sixth form at another school or a sixth form college... your school doesn't sound very good, if you can't even get Maths or science... no one will stand a good chance at Medicine... correction, they won't and with no English Law is slim.
Reply 6
What kind of school/college does not do maths and english at a level?! Thats just ridiculous!
Reply 7
Original post by Maryb_101
What kind of school/college does not do maths and english at a level?! Thats just ridiculous!

Ashfield Boys' High School, ironically we have one of the highest pass rates in Northern Ireland! They should really incorporate more subjects
Reply 8
Original post by Nathan_Clarke
I am about to pick my A-level subjects and I'm thinking about choosing
Moving Image Arts
Media Studies
ICT

I am hoping to go to university to study something with either computers or in the media so Graphic design, media studies, film studies etc.

Are these A level choices a good and most importantly FUN idea?

Well it;s your choice. I'd stick in a nice A level of Film Studies but I heard it's a bore!
Reply 9
If they don't offer that many A-Levels, why don't you consider moving schools? My school didn't offer what I wanted, so I moved. (I'm from Northern Ireland btw). Haven't regretted it at all, complete opposite in fact!

Quick Reply

Latest