The Student Room Group

Northumbria or De Montfort for Product/Industry Design

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Agnes,

I am in exactly the same position as you at the moment!

I am torn between De Montfort, Sheffield Hallam and Northumbria...

There's things I like about them all. From the interviews, the university that gave off the best impression personally I thought was De Montfort but I still loved the other two as well!

Just wondering why you think Northumbria is better for product design?

Thanks!
Sami
Reply 2
Maybe you have skype or smtng where we could talk?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah I heard that it is very hard to get a job in Newcastle too! It is a great city and I loved the whole busy atmosphere there, the design building is amazing too! But it just lacked something that DMU had... think the course just seemed better. I've been thinking of putting De Montfort as my firm for a while now! just not sure who to have as insurance!

I don't have skype but have MSN and facebook if you want to talk on there? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Hi Guys!

I have just finished the product design course at northumbria. It was great!

Obviously I can only give you one side of the story but its good news!

Yes the design course is better at Northumbria deffo so heres some points from my experience at the uni:

- The staff are all very friendly and helpful
- The modules are all interesting apart from one in second year but I'm pretty sure I got that one took out of this course (I was a course rep)
- If you have good course reps you can put a lot of feedback into the course
- The nightlife is newcastle is great especially if your on a sports team. After all geordies know best!
-Freshers week is fantastic
- There are a lot of promo jobs around and theres a lot of bars and restaurants where you could get a job
- The uni has great facilities for design lots of rapid prototyping machines, up to date software (you will mostly be using ansys and solidworks plus a bit of photoshop and illustrator), a new £30m sports centre and has best students union in the uk.
- Everyone in the north is friendly and willing to talk to anyone (not like in london from my experience)
- A lot of students I know from the course have been successful in getting their projects known by companies. In second year we did a project working with a live company in which the owner said he might actually make my groups product.
- The placement year gives a lot of great experiences working in the industry.
- There are a lot of societies and sports teams which are a great way to make friends. Theres literally something for everyone.

Hope that helps. I chose Northumbria because it was close to home and I have loved every minute of it. I'm actually a bit sad its over. But saying that i'm off to cambridge next year to do my teaching degree.

If you want to ask me anything, just post a reply.

Good luck with exams and results guys!
Reply 5
I'm going to Northumbria for Product Design Technology in september this year (hopefully if I get the grades!), is that the course you are deciding on? :smile:
Reply 6
I decided to go to De Montfort, I hope I chosen well!
Reply 7
how were your job prospects for northumbria in terms of getting hired?
Reply 8
Original post by Ashlee1006
Hi Guys!

I have just finished the product design course at northumbria. It was great!

Obviously I can only give you one side of the story but its good news!

Yes the design course is better at Northumbria deffo so heres some points from my experience at the uni:

- The staff are all very friendly and helpful
- The modules are all interesting apart from one in second year but I'm pretty sure I got that one took out of this course (I was a course rep)
- If you have good course reps you can put a lot of feedback into the course
- The nightlife is newcastle is great especially if your on a sports team. After all geordies know best!
-Freshers week is fantastic
- There are a lot of promo jobs around and theres a lot of bars and restaurants where you could get a job
- The uni has great facilities for design lots of rapid prototyping machines, up to date software (you will mostly be using ansys and solidworks plus a bit of photoshop and illustrator), a new £30m sports centre and has best students union in the uk.
- Everyone in the north is friendly and willing to talk to anyone (not like in london from my experience)
- A lot of students I know from the course have been successful in getting their projects known by companies. In second year we did a project working with a live company in which the owner said he might actually make my groups product.
- The placement year gives a lot of great experiences working in the industry.
- There are a lot of societies and sports teams which are a great way to make friends. Theres literally something for everyone.

Hope that helps. I chose Northumbria because it was close to home and I have loved every minute of it. I'm actually a bit sad its over. But saying that i'm off to cambridge next year to do my teaching degree.

If you want to ask me anything, just post a reply.

Good luck with exams and results guys!

How were your job prospects after northumbria? in terms of getting hired

Quick Reply

Latest