The Student Room Group

Choosing University (M.Sc Computer Science)

Hello Guys. I have finished my graduation in Computer Science and wish to pursue my masters abroad. I have applied to many universities in UK and Ireland and have been offered a place in the following universities:

1. Edinburgh University.
2. University of Manchester.
3. University College Dublin (Ireland).

After completing my degree I wish to work for a period of 2 years in the same country to pay back my education loans. Many people suggested me to go ahead with UCD since finding a job in the UK is very difficult and the government of UK is restricting the number of international workers. However, the Irish study visa permits me to stay in the country for a maximum of 1 year to find a job and many companies like Facebook, Twitter, Apple and IBM are situated in Dublin.

I would like to know if I am making the right decision since the Edinburgh and the Manchester universities are ranked among the top 20 and UCD is ranked around 100.
Tough decision indeed!

I've admits from Manchester, St.Andrews and Southampton.

Even though I'm not sure about getting a 20,000pound/annum job easily, to get a work permit, I'm going for Manchester because of it high international reputation/ranking. I've heard people saying Manchester is a good place with lots of opportunities and Career service of Manchester univ is too good if not excellent.

Hope its true.. :wink:
UCD is a great university, it falls behind Trinity as it doesn't attract near as many international students. It also has specialities such as business whereas Trinity prides itself at just being great at everything. If UCD had good funding, it would be seriously climbing the rankings. It just doesn't command even half of what the top unis in the UK have. This is also why Trinity has slipped in the rankings.

As far as I can see, there's not much snobbery with where computer science degrees are from here. I know several who have it from NUIM (Maynooth, the lowest ranked uni here) and who aren't having a problem. As you say, there are loads and loads of great companies here. Unemployment in Ireland is at a ridiculous level, BUT IT is bucking the trend, there's looooads of jobs in it.

I really would not be put off UCD because it's not as high as the others, basically.
Reply 3
Original post by gibbs_rodrix
Tough decision indeed!

I've admits from Manchester, St.Andrews and Southampton.

Even though I'm not sure about getting a 20,000pound/annum job easily, to get a work permit, I'm going for Manchester because of it high international reputation/ranking. I've heard people saying Manchester is a good place with lots of opportunities and Career service of Manchester univ is too good if not excellent.

Hope its true.. :wink:

Is it £20k? My cousin who's moving onto his last year of Civil Eng says he needs a £40k job in a year to be allowed to stay, hence he's going back to India for a few years to get more experience, and then come back. If it's £20k then I would stop considering UCD.
Reply 4
Thank you for the info gibbs and Star.

Well, I did talk to few of my friends from Manchester and they told me that getting a job in some countries like New Zealand and Canada is pretty easy with a degree from Manchester or Edinburgh. However, they also warned me that its almost impossible to get a job in UK considering the fact that I don't have any prior work or research experience.

I couldn't get in touch with anyone from UCD/Ireland to ask them about the job prospectus in Ireland. My accommodation registration have already started and I still have to deposit 400 euros to confirm my seat acceptance to be eligible for accommodation booking.

On a side note, do you prefer a catered accommodation and reduce the hassle of cooking, or should I go for normal one with a shared kitchen and cook myself, considering I have never done cooking and would be staying only for 11 months.
Original post by tooosh
Is it £20k? My cousin who's moving onto his last year of Civil Eng says he needs a £40k job in a year to be allowed to stay, hence he's going back to India for a few years to get more experience, and then come back. If it's £20k then I would stop considering UCD.

I'm pretty sure its 20K GBPs. You better confirm it with some other source and let us know.
Reply 6
Original post by gibbs_rodrix
I'm pretty sure its 20K GBPs. You better confirm it with some other source and let us know.

My bad, my cousin was wrong. Under a tier 2 visa, if you can get sponsored, it's 20k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending