The Student Room Group

Looking for Advice!

Hey guys,

I have up until the 9th June to make my choices of Uni - due to a last minute course change by myself..

I have 2 conditional offers which I like the idea of equally but not 100% sure what one would be more benefincial to myself.

I have also applied to an apprenticeship in a totally different job sector that my uni course would be going into, and if I got the apprenticeship the idea of uni would be completely dropped.

The gaming industry has interested me for such a long time now and I'd love to become a part of it so I'm looking at which course would be more beneficial to myself.

My offers are:

BBC - Computing Science at Strathclyde University - http://www.strath.ac.uk/cis/courses/bschonourscomputerscience/

obviously strathclyde is a higher valued University when it comes to degrees, though the UWS course is more geared towards my aims, and also comes along with Skillset Accredition.

Just looking to see what is most beneficial to myself,

Thanks
Dean
(edited 11 years ago)
What aspect of the games industry are you interested in?
Probably too late for this kind of suggestion but, to get into the games industry, they'd probably prefer a Maths degree with a Computer Science minor.
Original post by coolbeans1996
Probably too late for this kind of suggestion but, to get into the games industry, they'd probably prefer a Maths degree with a Computer Science minor.

The games industry doesn't just involve programming, there are other aspects to it.
Reply 4
I was looking to get into the software develpment/game scripting side of things.. with consoles/ complex pc games.

I changed to the Computer Games Technology course from a Computer Animation course.

I sent an email to around 40-50 different game companies worldwide looking for advice and surprisingly many got back to me. (At this time I had computer science & computer animation) and most of them said that the Computing Science degree would be better over the animation as there is far less need for animators now, and they also get paid far less.

The computing science course seems to focus mainly on Java programming, with maybe a little C++ , whereas the computer games technolgy works it all up from the basics of 2d programming in year 1, to 3d games programming in year 2, also exploring the maths needed in the games - so Im guessing that'd cover what you said coolbeans?

Also what I just noticed was that there is an optional sandwich year for the UWS course, and throughout the whole course you make a portfolio - which I guess will help with future employment.

Dean
Reply 5
Anyone/
Reply 6
CS is respected more than any games course. Strathy is a decent uni as well. I would recommend strathy and as you're going through the course do small game projects by yourself to get a portfolio going?
Reply 7
I've asked around, and from what I can tell to get into the gaming industry, you'd be better off taking a straight CS degree (or with Maths/something similar) than anything with 'Games' in the title.

CS will teach you the same skills, perhaps even more advanced, you just won't be applying it to games tech specifically during your degree (unless thats what your modules/projects lead to...). The application part will come when you get a job in the industry.

If Strathclyde offer a placement year aswell, I'd definitely go for Strathclyde. You can spend your years at the Uni picking the relevant modules for Games technology, and then go out and get experience (and pay!) at a games company to apply and develop your skills.
Reply 8
Original post by Xenite
I've asked around, and from what I can tell to get into the gaming industry, you'd be better off taking a straight CS degree (or with Maths/something similar) than anything with 'Games' in the title.

CS will teach you the same skills, perhaps even more advanced, you just won't be applying it to games tech specifically during your degree (unless thats what your modules/projects lead to...). The application part will come when you get a job in the industry.

If Strathclyde offer a placement year aswell, I'd definitely go for Strathclyde. You can spend your years at the Uni picking the relevant modules for Games technology, and then go out and get experience (and pay!) at a games company to apply and develop your skills.

thanks for the advice man, its appreciated

Will go for Comp Science on that info :smile:
Thanks Again
Dean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending