The Student Room Group

Best Laptop for running mathematical softwares-Matlab, etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pappymajek
Hi guys,

I've been shopping around for laptops and was just wondering which brand is best for running mathematicalsoftwares such as matlab, mathematica, maple and other similar programmes. I'm lookiing into getting either a MBP or any other equally reliable brand. I've been reading through some of the posts on this forum but I am yet come across anything in this area.

Any good advice much appreciated.

thanks

Get an ultra book would be my personal recommendation. An SSD, fast RAM and an i7 will have you flying, you won't see any problems.
here would be my recommendations:
<£1000:http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n00x5m05&m_3=455586&m_6=548670&m_8=557348&m_11=576501&m_16=548677&m_760=455482&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&model_id=xps-l502x-proc-mod
£1000-2000:
http://www.ebuyer.com/288881-toshiba-portege-r830-1dz-laptop-pt321e-0g100yen
£2000+(you'd be mad because a cheaper PC would do a similar job) :
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD318LL/A? i7+8GB RAM+SSD, you really can't go wrong. (15 inch one).
The other advantage of the MBP-it has a DVD-drive as well as ethernet-I still find myself watching a lot of DVDs so this is a big plus for me.

I am now a little confused .... the title of your thread is "Best Laptop for running mathematical softwares-Matlab, etc" .... and that is not a Macbook air nor a Macbook pro ..... If you want the best, for the Job as mentioned in a title then you should pass on the Mac front, because for any given budget, you will find a Windows or Linux based Machine that will be better built for the Job.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Macs, I Use them on a daily basis and have a variey of IOS stuff. However for the purposes that you intend, an apple product is not the best buy.
Reply 22
This is an excellent analysis, much appreciated. The only final thing I've read about is regarding poor resolution of a MBP? I guess I really need to visit a store to compare the two. Was this ever a problem for you?
Reply 23
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
I am now a little confused .... the title of your thread is "Best Laptop for running mathematical softwares-Matlab, etc" .... and that is not a Macbook air nor a Macbook pro ..... If you want the best, for the Job as mentioned in a title then you should pass on the Mac front, because for any given budget, you will find a Windows or Linux based Machine that will be better built for the Job.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Macs, I Use them on a daily basis and have a variey of IOS stuff. However for the purposes that you intend, an apple product is not the best buy.

Please dont be confused, I'm primarily going to be using my laptop for running programs like matlab, R, etc in addition to the basic things like e-mails, projects,music etc.

If you dont think mac products are best for these purposes, which product would you recommend? Do you do a lot programming?

To be quite honest, the university where I will be working is actually fully kitted with iMACS so I think it makes more sense to stick with the apple products.
This is an excellent analysis, much appreciated. The only final thing I've read about is regarding poor resolution of a MBP? I guess I really need to visit a store to compare the two. Was this ever a problem for you?

Actually a 1280 x 800 screen has a higher pixel density than the majority of 15" Windows laptops, coupled with the IPS tech in the panel it's gorgeous display.
Reply 25
Original post by Rainingshame
Get an ultra book would be my personal recommendation. An SSD, fast RAM and an i7 will have you flying, you won't see any problems.
here would be my recommendations:
<£1000:http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n00x5m05&m_3=455586&m_6=548670&m_8=557348&m_11=576501&m_16=548677&m_760=455482&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&model_id=xps-l502x-proc-mod
£1000-2000:
http://www.ebuyer.com/288881-toshiba-portege-r830-1dz-laptop-pt321e-0g100yen
£2000+(you'd be mad because a cheaper PC would do a similar job) :
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD318LL/A? i7+8GB RAM+SSD, you really can't go wrong. (15 inch one).

Thanks for the reply, I can see your point about the 15inch MBP-it also comes with excellent graphics too-comparable to the MBA. It aint cheap though-will need to save more money for this.
Please dont be confused, I'm primarily going to be using my laptop for running programs like matlab, R, etc in addition to the basic things like e-mails, projects,music etc.

If you dont think mac products are best for these purposes, which product would you recommend? Do you do a lot programming?

To be quite honest, the university where I will be working is actually fully kitted with iMACS so I think it makes more sense to stick with the apple products.

Which uni???
from your list in the profile I am surprised...
I guess it can't be Imperial or Southampton as they are both big on windows 7 (to the best of my knowledge ) .... I would have thought that the others were also predominantly Windows orientated with regards to your direction of study..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
You're going to be doing a mathematics or engineering degree with those requirements. Think like one ffs. You want a functional workhorse, not a handbag.

Get a ThinkPad or similar. A Mac is not going to give you any benefit with your requirements.
Reply 28
False. Most 15" Windows laptops, around the price range of the Macbook Pro, offer 1600 x 900 resolution if not 1920 x 1080 (1080p). And the MBP screen does not have IPS tech - it is a TN panel (a pretty good one, I'll give you that).

Original post by Mad Vlad
You're going to be doing a mathematics or engineering degree with those requirements. Think like one ffs. You want a functional workhorse, not a handbag.

Get a ThinkPad or similar. A Mac is not going to give you any benefit with your requirements.

+1.

The 15" MBP is heavily overpriced. And no I'm not an Apple hater. I happen to think the 13" MBP is well priced (w/ student discount) with Windows laptops that offer similar durability.
Original post by jam12
False. Most 15" Windows laptops, around the price range of the Macbook Pro, offer 1600 x 900 resolution if not 1920 x 1080 (1080p). And the MBP screen does not have IPS tech - it is a TN panel (a pretty good one, I'll give you that).

I've just pulled up 5 of the "big name" lines, Toshiba Satellite, HP Envy, Dell XPS 15, Sony Vaio and Lenovo Thinkpad, and checked the models which price similarly to the entry level MBP. The Vaios were the only ones to start with full 1080p displays. However this wasn't the point I was trying to make, I certainly wasn't claiming that Macs have a better screen than anything you'll find running Windows because that definitely isn't the case. I was simply trying to point out that the display on MBPs isn't something that could be described as poor. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are plenty of 1080p displays, all of the above mentioned options come in such a flavour, but I would still stand by that the majority do not have them, and the MBP's display will be better than the sub-£500 machines that make up the majority of the stock at high street retailers (Well, the stuff that should be £500. Not that PC World and the like stick to that).

I stand corrected on the IPS.
Reply 30
Ok perhaps not 1080p, but I would expect most 15" laptops priced ~£1300+ to have at least 900p displays (1600 x 900).
I agree on the other point though. TN panels are generally poor when it comes to colour reproduction (compared to IPS) and viewing angles, but the MBP has one of the better out there. It's frustrating that it doesn't have an IPS panel though, especially since it costs £1500 (to non-students). Hopefully the new Apple MBP range will rectify this!
Reply 31
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
Which uni???
from your list in the profile I am surprised...
I guess it can't be Imperial or Southampton as they are both big on windows 7 (to the best of my knowledge ) .... I would have thought that the others were also predominantly Windows orientated with regards to your direction of study..

it's for a masters programme.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Wookie42
Yeah, all the rumours point to them announcing the next design around the 11th of June - likely to see a thinner body, retina display but also the removal of the DVD drive, so if that's something you need you're probably better off waiting a while longer and buying one of the previous generation models for cheap.

I know what you mean, its pretty important when you're spending this kind of money! Well I suppose it depends how you're going to be using it - if its just going to be sitting on your desk then I don't think I'd bother buying anything (except maybe an external mouse/keyboard). However, for carrying it around you'll probably want some sort of case or bag. If you mean accessories or software you need for it to run out of the box though, you don't need anything at all.

Personally though, I have these:

iWork - basically your OSX equivalent of Microsoft Office. Would definitely recommend it over buying Office.

Apple Care - if you're a student you can get this heavily discounted, and its really worth it in my opinion. For a 15" Pro, you have to fork out £60 for it with education discount, whereas without the discount its well over £200. Apple are great with repairs and often don't charge for a lot of things, but getting an extended warranty is probably a good idea when you're buying a £1k machine.

Hardshell case - just like any laptop/phone/etc there are a billion different cases you can get, but I've had one made by Incase for quite a while and I love it. I've not owned an actual sleeve or anything like that though, since I just put my lappy in my rucksack everyday (its got a built in slot thing).

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI - similar to cases, there are loads of companies that make accessories like this. Apple do their own, but its a lot more expensive. I don't own the one I linked to since I can't actually remember what brand/model it is, but they all do pretty much the same thing. Got it so that I can hook it up to my external monitor.

Overall though, just like anything designed by Apple, accessories are often more expensive than the standard brands and its something you get used to after a while. I'd definitely suggest you buy AppleCare, iWork and some sort of case though - you'd probably struggle without. Hope that answers your question somewhat, if you've got any others I'll still be here :smile:

That is a very specific date. Is that when they usually release new macs?
Reply 33
Original post by diracdeltafunc
That is a very specific date. Is that when they usually release new macs?

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

Starts on the 11th, so who knows. Usually with Macs, they announce them and they're in shops the next day though :smile:
Reply 34
I just wanted to say thanks to all those who replied to my questions, I've decided to go for the mbp-most likely 13"/15" depending on cash, will wait to hear about the features of the upgrade though before making the final purchase.
Reply 35
Hi guys,

I've been shopping around for laptops and was just wondering which brand is best for running mathematicalsoftwares such as matlab, mathematica, maple and other similar programmes. I'm lookiing into getting either a MBP or any other equally reliable brand. I've been reading through some of the posts on this forum but I am yet come across anything in this area.

Any good advice much appreciated.

thanks
Computers are made of mathematics; if it's stable it should run your MATLAB.
Reply 36
Just to let you know for those interested, I eventually decided on a MBP. Thanks for all your advice and recommendations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending