The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Psychology UNIT 2 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Okay, so whats the difference between the Spearman's Rho, Mann-Whitney U and Chi-Square tests? Totally stressing for tomorrow :frown:
Original post by Distractions
Buuuut, for the Mann Witney if the observed value is less than the critical value then it is significant

she said spatial ability which uses chi squared :tongue:
Original post by FailedEverything
she said spatial ability which uses chi squared :tongue:

no chi squared is the car type and gender in relation to the social learning theory :smile:
Original post by chasingdreams
Okay, so whats the difference between the Spearman's Rho, Mann-Whitney U and Chi-Square tests? Totally stressing for tomorrow :frown:

mann whitney is used when testing for a difference, and when data is ordinal.
spearmans rho is used when testing for a relationship and when data is ordinal.
chi squared is when testing for a difference and when data is nominal.

:smile:
does anyone have the answers for the paper 2moro if u do plzzzzzzzzz post it
:colondollar:
Original post by salini1995
does anyone have the answers for the paper 2moro if u do plzzzzzzzzz post it

loloololol :d
Original post by rebeccaaa-
no chi squared is the car type and gender in relation to the social learning theory :smile:

Yeah, so the Mann Whitney one needs to observed value to be lower than the critical value whilst the others need to observed value to be above :smile:
Original post by Distractions
Yeah, so the Mann Whitney one needs to observed value to be lower than the critical value whilst the others need to observed value to be above :smile:

thankyou!
Reply 149
group revision anyone?
Reply 150
Hey guys.
the past few days I've been feeling very poorly (had to even cancel DofE expedition)
Illness has progressed to a fever.
Is it possible I can receive extra time for this exam?
I'm getting delirious so I need the time to check my work.
It's a shame because I've revised sooooo hard for this exam :frown:

Thanks x
Reply 151
Original post by Rizzy J
group revision anyone?

Describe/evaluate twin and adoption studies? x
Original post by Rizzy J
group revision anyone?

Go for it! I'm up for it :smile:
Reply 153
everyone's being really helpful! nice to see. :smile: Anyone wanna run over the credibility, practical and ethical issues of animal studies as i think it may come up ?
Also i think the Axline Dibs / or whatever other study you did apart from Little Hans may come up too.
Reply 154
Original post by stephbeeeify
Go for it! I'm up for it :smile:

describe the role of neurotransmitters? 4/5 marks
Reply 155
Original post by AFC1993

mz twins share 100% of their dna
dz twins share 50% of the dna
can be used to look at if twins iq, personality and mental health is either affected by genes or environment. if twins brought up in same environment then it is genes affecting them. however, if brought up in different environments then environment has an effect on the.

twins share the same pre-natal environment. one twin could have had more space in the womb than the other and squashing them affecting them later on in life. also nutrient available to them in womb.
Original post by AFC1993

One twin study: Money (1975)
Bruce/Brenda study.

Aim:
Money wanted to find out about sex reassignment

Method:
At 7 months old, a pair of identical twin boys underwent circumcision. One of the circumcisions went wrong, causing the penis to be burnt and as a result it was taken off. The parents saw John Money on a television programme about sex reassignment and decided to contact John Money.
After a series of meetings with money the parents decided to raise their son up as a girl.
They treated the baby (who was about 17 months at the time) as a giorl, putting 'her' in dresses and changing 'her' name to Brenda.
She underwent hormone replacement therapy and a series of operations as the child got older. Money saw the parents and Brenda over the 9 year period of the case stufy and gatehred his data by asking Brenda and the parents questions.
There were reports that Brenda had tomboy traits and she was slightly more active, but she copied her mothers behaviour rather than her fathers. At the end of the study it seemed that Brenda saw herself as a girl.

Analysis:
Money concluded that an XY baby (genetically male) could be successfully raise dup as a girl. This evidence was used to show that nurture was stronger than nature

HOMEVER:
When Brenda was about 14, she learnt her true identity, and it emerged that she had never been happy as a girl and always felt as if she was 'wrong'. David/Brenda's mother attempted suicide and the fatehr turned to alcoholism.
His brother (Brian) became clinically depressed and died of an overdose. David had marital difficulties and was depressed about his brother and was unemployed. He then comitted suicide.
This story strongly suggests that nature over rides nurture.
Original post by Rizzy J
describe the role of neurotransmitters? 4/5 marks

Neurotransmitters are chemicals that are found in the synaptic gap between two neurones. They pass messages from one neurone to another. Neurotransmitters come from one terminal button from one neurone and are passed to the dendrite on the next neurone. The neurotransmitter fits onto the receptor on the second neurone which changes the shape and allows an electrical current (message) to pass from one neurone to another :smile:

A bit mixed up! haha

Describe your practical for the biological approach (5 marks)
Reply 158
Original post by Rizzy J
break the procedure down into the most important points, there is a lot but just remember the most important points. i have a shortened version of the procedure if you want me to send it to you?

Damn, didn't see this till now. Do you have the shortened version, I would really appreciate it.
Reply 159
Original post by al0
Damn, didn't see this till now. Do you have the shortened version, I would really appreciate it.

A/R/R

5 year old boy taken to freud suffering from phobia of horses. Freud saw hans once or twice. Information came mostly through hans father.
At age 3, hans developed interest in his own penis. Age 5 mother threatened to cut it off if he did not stop playing with it. Developed fear a white horse would bite him. Hans fathee related to freud that this was probably related to horses large penis. Father objected him into getting into parents bed in the morning. Hans feared going out of the house incase he encounted a horse. Fear became limited to horses with black harness noses, hans father interpreted this as his black moustache. Hans had two fantasises: he had several imaginery children, asked who the mother was, said why mummy and you’re granddad. Also imagined a plumber fitting him with a bigger penis.
Freud saw phobias as expression of Oedipus complex-fantasised himself with a big penis like his father and married to his mother with father in role of grandad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending