The Student Room Group

Scholarship Interview - What to expect?

Hi guys. I have been invited for a personal interview for the Jubilee Scholarships 2012. This is my first-ever interview so I am really nervous. Can someone please let me know what to expect in the interview? What kind of questions should I expect? Will the questions be technical? I have gone through a lot of websites suggesting the common questions asked, but I would really like to know from someone who has experienced a scholarship interview or knows what its like.

Also, is it fine to wear jeans and a shirt for the interview?

Reply will be highly appreciated
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Be prepared to talk about your application, why you would like to study in the UK, what you hope to gain from the experience, sell yourself really well. Talk about why you want to study the degree you're applying to study and why at at that particular institute, what your future career plans and how the scholarship and degree will help you in achieving those plans.

I would go formally dressed if I were you-suit and tie.

Good luck!
I agree with all of the above...good advice. Also, have some questions ready for the panel.

I had a funding interview a week ago and wore a smart jeans (black) with a formal shirt and nice shoes...no blazer or tie. The panel had no problem with my attire and I met a few other interviewees on the day and non of them were suited up either.

If you want to stay on the safe side, you can suit up...its up to you. Just make sure you are well-groomed :wink:

All the best.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Be prepared to talk about your application, why you would like to study in the UK, what you hope to gain from the experience, sell yourself really well. Talk about why you want to study the degree you're applying to study and why at at that particular institute, what your future career plans and how the scholarship and degree will help you in achieving those plans.

I would go formally dressed if I were you-suit and tie.

Good luck!

This is very good advice (along with that by VENIVIDIVICI of course). I had a scholarship interview and all of the above advice applied.

I'd say dress on the smart side - again it shows that you think this is worth making an effort for.

As everyone ALWAYS advises too: be enthusiastic and try and relax.

Also, it can help to bear in mind that you may be asked about past work: so make sure you review any research projects/long essays that you might have done particularly if you use them in your application.

I'd try and get across some of your personality too if you can - I think unis like to know that there's a real person beneath the facade :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it. One more question. Should I discuss my financial position or will they bring it up? Also, do I need to look like I am in a difficult financial position to be considered as a viable candidate?
Original post by kaidranzer
Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciate it. One more question. Should I discuss my financial position or will they bring it up? Also, do I need to look like I am in a difficult financial position to be considered as a viable candidate?

Hmm, I don't think that's necessary. Unless it is a need-based one. Is yours a merit-based or need-based scholarship?

In my interview that wasn't discussed. The only thing we talked about was how much the scholarship was worth. In my case, we were assessed on our potential, academic ability, achievements (personal and professional), etc and not on how "needy" we were. If that was the case, they would have just given the scholarship to the "poorest" applicant being interviewed.

Merit-based scholarships aren't like need-based ones, its normally awards to help gifted students whilst studying and also as a sort of a reward for their previous/present efforts. Normally only the best applicants (as assessed by the panel or committee) gets these scholarships.

Others may have a different view on this, but that is just my opinion. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

I've had a brief look at the webpage for the scholarship. The eligibility criteria don't mention financial need. There is mention of 'access' to UK higher education, the scholarship is supposed to be an opportunity to fund education for people who would not normally be able to study overseas. So it looks like there is some element of need maybe. I would be prepared to talk about finances but don't feel the need to make yourself appear 'needy'.
Reply 7
hey kaidranzer, When actually is your inteview and in which indian city it is? you applying for science and technology
Reply 8
Original post by anjul_a1
hey kaidranzer, When actually is your inteview and in which indian city it is? you applying for science and technology

Its in Mumbai. 11th June. Am applying for Information Security. Do you have an interview as well?
Reply 9
Thanks VENIVIDIVICI and alleycat393. Ill keep my financial statements ready. Just one last question. I have really long hair. More than shoulder length. Do you think it would look unprofessional to go without a haircut? I mean its a scholarship interview, not a job interview. Is it alright if I just get them neat and clean?
Thanks VENIVIDIVICI and alleycat393. Ill keep my financial statements ready. Just one last question. I have really long hair. More than shoulder length. Do you think it would look unprofessional to go without a haircut? I mean its a scholarship interview, not a job interview. Is it alright if I just get them neat and clean?

No worries :biggrin:.

Regarding your hair. I'm assuming that you a guy, so if you can't afford to have your hair cut or prefer not to, just make sure its well-kept and I would tie it back (like a ponytail or something) so your face is visible and clear.

I wouldn't think that they would have a problem with long hair, but its difficult to say as people are varied in their views. If your overall look is smart or smart-casual, you should be ok.
Reply 11
Hey kaidranzer ,

Can you tell me when were you called for submission of the references and other documents, and when did you receive this interview call?
Reply 12
Original post by sampi
Hey kaidranzer ,

Can you tell me when were you called for submission of the references and other documents, and when did you receive this interview call?

It is a bit strange for a scholarship to start calling for interview even before submission of the references. Probably the references were just a formality.
Reply 13
Original post by AKB84
It is a bit strange for a scholarship to start calling for interview even before submission of the references. Probably the references were just a formality.

Have you been called as well? Didn't you submit the references before the interview call was made ?
Reply 14
Original post by sampi
Hey kaidranzer ,

I was asked to submit my references on 16th May and got the interview call on 31st May.
Reply 15
@VENIVIDIVICI: I mailed them asking for the dress code. They replied saying 'Formal/Smart'. I dont need to get that haircut now, do I?
@VENIVIDIVICI: I mailed them asking for the dress code. They replied saying 'Formal/Smart'. I dont need to get that haircut now, do I?

Looks like they "expect" you to dress formal (suit). To be on the safe side, I'd get a decent looking haircut. You can always grow your hair again after getting the scholarship. What have you got to lose.
Reply 17
I was asked to submit my references on 16th May and got the interview call on 31st May.

When was the last date for submission of the references in Mumbai? In kolkata it was on 25th May .But I have not yet received any call for interview. So I am worried a lot....:frown:
Reply 18
Kaidranzer . are you applying for science and technology or some other field ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
hi kraidanzer...

ur interview s on 11th??? thats great...do share your experiences as it will help many...thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending