The Student Room Group

A levels for an architecture degree? MONSTERTHREAD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TSRMatt
Hey guys,

I study Art, Maths, History and Product Design

I'm predicted Bs in all subjects at the moment but I think that I can get AABB this year - are my AS levels good for architecture?

I'm thinking of applying to Bath, UCL, Brookes, Sheffield, AA/UAL and one other

My first choice would either be Barlett or Bath

Thanks

Being 100% honest AAB won't be enough for UCL or Bath, you need to be looking at A*AA. However with AAB there are still plenty of good architecture courses you could get on.
Good luck with your exams this year
Original post by Honeywood
Being 100% honest AAB won't be enough for UCL or Bath, you need to be looking at A*AA. However with AAB there are still plenty of good architecture courses you could get on.
Good luck with your exams this year

I haven't taken my AS levels yet!!
Reply 42
Normally they ask for A2 in maths, physics and art and people take product design as AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vn2410
Normally they ask for A2 in maths, physics and art and people take product design as AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quoted from the Bath Uni website: "Mathematics/Physics and Art and Design/Design Technology are highly desirable (NB a focus on 3D in Design Technology is preferred)"

I don't need physics if I have maths
Original post by vn2410

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wrong, they don't normally ask for anything specific other than Art.
Original post by Farchitect
Wrong, they don't normally ask for anything specific other than Art.

Thanks! Are you currently studying architecture?
Should be fine those three, maths a level is a lot easier than physics in my opinion, they don't throw in extra questions that challenge you you have not learnt about, art is crucial for architecture (or tech) and English or history shows you have some good writing skills also, so your subjects for architecture are fine. if you want a fourth, do physics or geography.

Hope this helps
Original post by theandyguthrie
Architecture is not just drawing and awareness. It's like an artistic form of engineering.

Maths
Physics
Art
Further maths if you need a fourth.

Sorry, that's a myth (& one I fell for myself!). Obviously different courses have different emphasises, but I've never needed A'level maths. Perhaps if you say where you are studying architecture then people can decide if that particular approach is the course for them?

OP apart from A'level Art (compulsory if you are applying to the Bartlett, but recommended for every architecture course) take whatever A'levels you enjoy and will do well in, the "first cut" is all about UCAS points. There isn't an architecture A'level so no one arrives with a complete package, that's the exciting thing about first year!
Reply 48
Maths
Geography
Economics/History
Art

If you can take product design or 3D design or something along them lines but don't take 3 artsy subjects take a maximum of 2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lynnny8
I'm actually having doubts in choosing to major in Architecture since nowaday only 1 out of 2 architects is able to get a job. It's a really focused degree thus it'd be hard to change career path.
What do you guys think?

If you're not sure, defer, get work experience, perhaps do a summer school, and then decide if it is for you. You will have to think about where you want to be eventually. The Royal Institute of British Architects/ Architects Registration Board and American Institute of Architects famously don't recognise each other's qualifications so, whilst you can work in either the US or UK, you can only call yourself an architect in the country in which you qualified. Other countries have different recognition agreements (the EU recognises registered architects from any member countries, but is still trying to standardise the qualification requirements across all member countries).

I don't know about how focussed the courses are in the US - as you suggest the courses are made of elective modules and you "major" in one. In the UK if you study architecture, you are just studying architecture. That said, the first degree (giving you an exemption from the Part 1 examinations at accredited Universities) is also a really rounded general arts degree so can be used in exactly the way as any other arts and humanities degree.
Reply 50
I would not recommend Strathclyde uni especially the architecture course to anyone. If you are international student this faculty is worst. when you are applying the staff pretend to be very caring and answers emails quickly and efficiently, from the time you got it in the whole attitude change. They barely care. It is very hard to communicate with them and the way they mark assignments are very weird, you don't have the right to say anything The library is **** and they lack resources. I know people studying at GSA and i think it much better. Definitely not Strathclyde.
Reply 51
Hey so I'm currently in the middle of all my GCSEs and am trying to decide on which A Levels to study next year.

There's no requirements for the architecture course at uni, but I'd appreciate any advice on what subjects would look good...

At the minute I'm thinking of taking Maths, Further Maths, Fine Art and French. Opinions??
Maths and art are good. Consider physics?
Reply 53
I'm doing GCSEs right now, but what are people's thoughts on taking Maths, Further Maths, Fine Art and French at A Level? Just a bit unsure as architecture usually has no specific requirements...
Original post by RadwanBakkali
Hi,
I've already create this thread before, just wanted to post it on different sections to get an array of opinions, would appreciate any advice.
I am completing my GCSE at the moment and moving onto A levels in September.
I want to study architecture at university and was wondering if the A level combination I am currently thinking of is a good combination. I am aiming to study at UCL, The Bartlett.
A levels:
Art < essential
History < to develop writing style and research techniques, handy when studying a history and theory module at degree level.
Geography < to develop environmental awareness (hazards/climates/agriculture/ecosystems/global development etc)
Economics < develop economical awareness

I feel my subject choices will be useful in an architectural environment. I have an interest in architecture which considers the environment as well as society, this is reflected in my subject choices and since maths isn't my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an A level whilst art is the main requirement for admission into an architecture degree, I thought that an Economics a level would be a good alternative as it blends mathematics with social concerns and topics.
Are my subject choices good?
Will they allow me to apply to top architecture universities?
Would you recommend any other combination?
also, How hard are my subject choices? (workload etc.)
I would appreciate any help,
Thanks

Hi there :smile:

Did you know that Ravensbourne does BA Architecture and theres also BA Interior design too! They're both honours degree :smile:

We are in London and next to the O2! Check us out and see for yourself! Get your tickets for the Open day!

Good luck with everything
Ahlia :biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by bluesandgreens
Maths and art are good. Consider physics?

I would have considered doing Physics, but I didn't do triple science at GCSE so I worry I'd fall behind...
I would say Maths and some art type subject. Which you have. Your subjects will be good for architecture. Maybe Physics? But you don't need it.
Don't worry about falling behind in Physics if you haven't done Triple Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by kp0803
I would have considered doing Physics, but I didn't do triple science at GCSE so I worry I'd fall behind...

I didn't do triple science at GCSE and I do physics A level and there were no problems with that. It's mostly maths you need to be confident with if that's what you're worried about!
Reply 59
Original post by kp0803

I wouldn't worry about triple award science as long as you done well in physics at GCSE you will be okay. It will also help if you are doing maths and further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending