The Student Room Group

Geography applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Name: winningjojo
A levels: geography chemistry English lit and French ( taken geog a year early so have just finished my a2 on that fingers crossed got an A)
Ba/NSC - BSA
Course choice: either physical geog and/with geology or physical geography.
Unis- looking at royal holloway Plymouth Southampton Newcastle Lancaster

Looked at UEA at weekend and just didn't like it yes the buildings were ugly but putting that aside I just couldn't see myself there on the other hand saw royal holloway at the start of June and just LOVED it looking forward to visiting Plymouth as on paper it's my favourite course at the moment but all the others have grat courses too. I lice geog so know that I'll love any course really it's just that gut feeling when you walk on campus that will decide for me I think. Didn't like reading either then again it's 20min by train away :/ anyone else considering those unis?? The average entry for them is ABB with Southampton and Lancaster being AAB should get an A in geog :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Name: Joe
BA or Bsc?: Probably BSc Geography but considering most Earth & Environment subjects
Studying currently: Geography, English Lit/Lang, Chemistry, Maths, Geology (AS)
Considering: LSE, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, UEA.

I've been to Manchester & Leeds so far and I have to say I loved the Geography department at Manchester. Far more professional than the Earth & Environment school with a really interesting mix of modules and fantastic study abroad opportunities. It's a shame it isn't a campus uni or else I'd have probably decided on firming it already. Leeds was the opposite - an awesome campus but the course wasn't right for me.

Any other places I should consider? Aiming at anywhere from A*AA to ABB.
Name: tooty_fruit
BA or Bsc?: Most probably BSc
Studying currently: Geography, History, Psychology, Physics
Universities applying to: There's quite a few i'm considering. Hopefully Cambridge (although this is summer module UMS dependent), Nottingham, Durham and then two from: UCL, Exeter and Bristol.

I went to Durham today and loved the city. The department looks great, there's so much equipment in the labs! They said they focused on the PS alot though, which i'm not sure about. Just have to wait and see on my grades in the summer i guess!
Went to Plymouth yesterday it was really nice :smile: good department and really friendly entry is BBB which is a bit lower than what i'm aiming for (AAB-ABB my target) which is something to think about. But if anyone is interested in physical/marine geography and geology then it is definately somewhere to check out.
Name: summer_dreamer
BA or Bsc?: most likely BSc
Studying currently: Geography, Maths, Biology & English Lit.
Universities applying to: Looking at Leeds, Newcastle, and Lancaster, as well as York for Environmental Geography, then I need another choice :')
Now looking at just doing bsc geog same unis but Leicester rather than Lancaster :smile:

Reply 26
I've seen Cambridge, Nottingham and Bristol this week so if anyone wants a review of any of them, I'll give you my perspective :smile: I also saw Exeter a couple weeks back. Has anyone here seen Durham? I'm hoping to see it in September but I'd like to hear what anyone else has to say about it :biggrin: ... apart from that I'm pretty much done with my uni searching for now. Phew.
Could you describe Cambridge & Bristol? Thanks :smile:

I went to Nottingham today and loved it, the most beautiful campus and a great city as well as a very appealing course.

LSE wowed me as well, great area & facilities, the buildings are very modern and the library is impressive. The thing that puts me off is that I want to retain Physical Geography elements, which is impossible there. However if you solely desire Human Geog then I'd definitely reccomend the place.
Reply 28
Original post by St. Brynjar
Could you describe Cambridge & Bristol? Thanks :smile:

I went to Nottingham today and loved it, the most beautiful campus and a great city as well as a very appealing course.

LSE wowed me as well, great area & facilities, the buildings are very modern and the library is impressive. The thing that puts me off is that I want to retain Physical Geography elements, which is impossible there. However if you solely desire Human Geog then I'd definitely reccomend the place.

Well Cambridge is a very limited description becasue I only went to one college. But my overall impressions of the city was that it was very nice, not too difficult to navigate and was nicely sized to walk around, though cycling would speed things up of course. If you live in the city centre it will get busy and that probably isn't fun, the college I looked at was further out and so was fine in that respect. The stuff about the course and modules can be found online, there's nothing too specific about that.

Bristol I thought was really good on the course side of it. All degrees are a Bsc rather than a BA because of the statistical element that is carried through, regardless of whether you're doing human or physical geography. Loads of people hated it the admissions tutor said, but those skills were incredibly useful afterwards. There's a smaller selection of modules but it means your degree is more focused and you actually learn a lot that can be applied rather than just learning lots of different random things across your 3 years. That's why employability from Bristol is particularly good. If you absolutely hate maths though, it might not be the course for you. The accomodation on the other hand was quite bad. Looked mostly very outdated and in need of refurbishment, but some of the self-catered rooms were nice. It's not campus based, all of the accomodation is enclosed one part of the city, on the outside, whereas the actual university itself is towards the middle. Buses regularly go to and from though.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Bulbasaur
I've seen Cambridge, Nottingham and Bristol this week so if anyone wants a review of any of them, I'll give you my perspective :smile: I also saw Exeter a couple weeks back. Has anyone here seen Durham? I'm hoping to see it in September but I'd like to hear what anyone else has to say about it :biggrin: ... apart from that I'm pretty much done with my uni searching for now. Phew.

Are you expecting to get 4A's at AS?
Reply 30
Original post by TempleQC
Are you expecting to get 4A's at AS?

Well no, 3 As and a B/C in physics. But the admissions tutor said they didn't really care about the 4th AS anyway. Only for really competitive subjects is it seen as carrying significant weight, in an attempt to differentiate between students.

Original post by ext
I'm torn between physical geography, environmental geography, and a geography/geology course. idk which one to choose :s-smilie: which do you think the best is in terms of module topics (interesting, etc), job prospects, and grade/subject requirements?

Geophysics :biggrin:
Reply 32
Well no, 3 As and a B/C in physics. But the admissions tutor said they didn't really care about the 4th AS anyway. Only for really competitive subjects is it seen as carrying significant weight, in an attempt to differentiate between students.

Ah sweet.
Reply 33
Ah sweet.

What about you? :smile:

Reply 34
What about you? :smile:

If I'm lucky 3A's and a B... But I will require luck lol. It's Physics and Chemistry that will hurt me :frown:
Are you guys planning on reading geography related books to talk about in your personal statement? I think its a bit of a given but most of them seem to be like 400/500 pages long so I'm not sure whether to read all of it or just certain parts which interest me.

Opinions?
Reply 36
If I'm lucky 3A's and a B... But I will require luck lol. It's Physics and Chemistry that will hurt me :frown:

Damn :/ my subjects were somewhat predictable in what grades I've got thankfully. Anything between AABC and AAAB is possible but AAAC most likely. Physics is a bitch, agreed. Hopefully you'll get what you wanted :smile:

Reply 37
Original post by tooty_fruit
Are you guys planning on reading geography related books to talk about in your personal statement? I think its a bit of a given but most of them seem to be like 400/500 pages long so I'm not sure whether to read all of it or just certain parts which interest me.

Opinions?

I've already read 3, for my EPQ I've gotta read two more. All of which I'll try to briefly discuss In my PS. If you're applying for cambridge, who interview, you must actually read the books or you're setting yourself up for looking stupid and could mean the difference between getting an offer and being rejected. Anticipate them to ask you about anything you say in your PS.

You don't have to read ridiculous amounts, just show interest. And the books I've read haven't been overly long. One 500 pages, 200 and 300. Don't worry too much about the length.

Hope this helps :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
i took part in the 2012 thread and i'm holding offers from Durham (firm choice) and Exeter (insurance choice) for BSc Geography, if anyone has any questions then i'd be glad to answer :smile:

Applied to:

Durham
Exeter
Sussex
Royal Holloway
Loughborough
Reply 39
Original post by student1234567891
i took part in the 2012 thread and i'm holding offers from Durham (firm choice) and Exeter (insurance choice) for BSc Geography, if anyone has any questions then i'd be glad to answer :smile:

Applied to:

Durham
Exeter
Sussex
Royal Holloway
Loughborough

Oh brilliant, I'm applying to durham and exeter hopefully. My friend will be applying to very similar unis that you have, maybe even those exact ones. I think the main worry at this point is AS grades. Obviously Durham require A*AA so I was just wondering what you got at AS? Seeing as Durham is my target uni and wanted to see what sort of AS grades I'd need to stand a chance. Thanks :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending