The Student Room Group

Caught cheating but note fault

Scroll to see replies

In addition to Tycho's post, it would be further effort for it all to be reported and situation dealt with. The examiners probably got over it because it would have been obvious that you had notes when the exam started and the notes were in the case.

You should feel grateful that the teacher had taken the case off for you before the exam started, dont worry about it :smile: <3
Original post by freedom
Well I'm at home now, should I go in tomorrow or wait till they ask about it

I'd phone them up and get things clear before it could potentially escalate.
Original post by freedom
I borrowed a sci calc, I went in the maths exam, put the calc on the table and sat down,

However a teach came and removed the lid and notes fell out, I was shocked as I had no clue about them,

He gave it to the head of maths who was in the room, she read them and put them in her pocket,

She did not say anything, and I was allowed to continue the exam, my paper was collected in normally

They found the notes before the exam paper was handed out,

Can I be disqualified?

you should be fine.
just be thankful it was before they handed the papers out and not after.
You should inquire with the head of maths just to be sure.
If they were to disqualify you, they wouldn't make you sit the paper after they've found the notes. Don't worry :smile:
Original post by freedom
They were maths exam notes, I got a glance,
But nothing was done, and they did not stop me leaving or rip my paper

That is because it is not the school's decision as to what happens to your paper. The incident would be reported to the board if it contravened exam regulations, as it must be if the school is to retain its right to operate as an examination centre, and it is up to the exam board to continue the investigation and decide what is to be done. If the paper hadn't been handed out, you have probably been lucky. If it had started, then what I said before would apply. This is why the standard wording read out before the start of the exam contains the words, 'Check now to see if you have any materials such as notes etc,' so that notes discovered after that warning are judged to have been retained intentionally.

Schools do not rip up exam papers. The penalties for doing that would be severe indeed.
(edited 11 years ago)
if they found it before the exam you could say you were going to hand the lid and the note in, therefore you won't be disqualified.
Also its the examiners responsibility to ensure that they have told you to take the lids off so if it was before the exam started you should be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by carnationlilyrose
That is because it is not the school's decision as to what happens to your paper. The incident will be reported to the board, as it must be if the school is to retain its right to operate as an examination centre, and it is up to the exam board to continue the investigation and decide what is to be done. Schools do not rip up exam papers. The penalites for doing that would be severe indeed.

Edit: Didn't read that the paper hadn't been handed out. In that case, you have probably been lucky. If it had started, then what I said above would apply.

I was in the exam hall,built the papers were not handed out, they were still at the front
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
You are one lucky guy, mate... Tbh your school should do like what our school does. Ask one by one each person if they have any unauthorised material (we're not allowed calculator lids in the first place), and then ask again when papers are being handed out, then ask again before exam starts. That way there is no excuse for you to check everything and return it to them and collect afterwards.

But you should speak to them asap because there might be a chance that the exam boards say that "How do we know he hasn't cheated in any other exams?"
You can only be disqualified for CHEATING - not for the intention to cheat. Just like you can't be arrested for intending to punch someone, if one of your mates jumps in and stops you.

TBH I reckon from how you've described it, that they might just be "brushing it under the carpet", so to speak... they found them before the start, removed them, so you got a lucky escape.

Also... I have to say OP... your story is seriously flimsy :lol:. *I* don't even believe that they weren't your notes - and I couldn't care less who does and doesn't cheat in exams.
Reply 29
Thanks for all the replies,

So they found the note before the papers were handed, they were taken, but nothing was said to me.

So will I be cleared,

College have not called me or sent an email regarding this
Original post by AishaTara
if they found it before the exam you could say you were going to hand the lid and the note in, therefore you won't be disqualified, as its the examiners responsibility to ensure the lids are off so if it was before the exam started you should be fine.

No, it's the invigilator's responsibility to read out the standard warning about having any notes/lids etc and to remind the candidate to check this and to collect anything the candidate hands in. If the candidate does not do this and is found to have illegal material after the warning has been given, it is the candidate's fault.
Original post by freedom
I was in the exam hall,built the papers were not handed out, they were still at the front

I've edited my post to take account of that. In that case, there isn't a problem.
Original post by Frankster
You are one lucky guy, mate... Tbh your school should do like what our school does. Ask one by one each person if they have any unauthorised material (we're not allowed calculator lids in the first place), and then ask again when papers are being handed out, then ask again before exam starts. That way there is no excuse for you to check everything and return it to them and collect afterwards.

But you should speak to them asap because there might be a chance that the exam boards say that "How do we know he hasn't cheated in any other exams?"

They have neither the time, the inclination nor the information to do that in the absence of any report from the school.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
No, it's the invigilator's responsibility to read out the standard warning about having any notes/lids etc and to remind the candidate to check this and to collect anything the candidate hands in. If the candidate does not do this and is found to have illegal material after the warning has been given, it is the candidate's fault.

yes I know, but had the examiner said that? OP said that the invigilator came took the lid off before the exam when the note fell out.
Once I forgot to take my label of a water bottle. 20 mins into the exam, the invigilator did it, but obvs there were no notes there, so she didn't report me in or anything.
Reply 34
Original post by AishaTara
yes I know, but had the examiner said that? OP said that the invigilator came took the lid off before the exam when the note fell out.
Once I forgot to take my label of a water bottle. 20 mins into the exam, the invigilator did it, but obvs there were no notes there, so she didn't report me in or anything.

No it was a maths teacher, he gave it to the head of maths, they talked and left the room before the exam started
Reply 35
Nothing was said to me during or after the exam
Reply 36
How ever one of the invigolator was standing close to me for most of the exam, but did not say anything,

But that maybe because I was at the end of the row
You should ask the Head of department Not TSR
Reply 38
The fact that they actually allowed you to sit the exam and did not make you sign anything seems to indicate that you will be fine.
Original post by freedom
No it was a maths teacher, he gave it to the head of maths, they talked and left the room before the exam started

ahh it should be ok, but i'd go speak to them maybe, as long as it was taken away before the exam I dont think you should be disqualified. I accidently took some vocab for a french exam as I had in my pencil case as I was using it that morning, but my head of year noticed as I sit at the front when she came around before the exam and took it from me, and told me nothing would happen < this was gcse btw last year

Quick Reply

Latest