The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me?!!?!?!?!?!?!

Okay so I am extremely confused and after being passed from pillar to post, I have been recommended that someone here may have been in the same situation that I am in and may be able to help.

I was BORN in Scotland in 1993 (this is relevant) and have both Scottish parents and grandparents. However, when I was around 18 months old my parents moved down to Plymouth in England which is where I have studied up until my A2. My question is that can I have no fees because I am of Scottish descendants. I read somewhere on the internet that the Scottish government have said that English or Welsh people who have Irish grandparents are allowed to have free uni fee's but does this apply to someone in my situation.

I e-mailed Glasgow Caladonian Uni as it is the one I wish to attend and they said to go to www.saas.gov.uk but it asks me to apply for grants etc which I don't want to do because I'm not going to university until September 2013.

HELP I AM SO CONFUSED!
If you have British Nationality (British Passport) and were living in Britain when you applied to UCAS then you will apply to Student Finance England for support. If you have claimed Irish Nationality (have an Irish Passport) then you can claim fees from SAAS as an EU student. But you will still claim loan for living costs from SFE as an English resident.

Unfortunately parents and grandparents are not taken into account. Only nationality and ordinary residence.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
no you have to have been resident in Scotland for something like 3 years i believe to qualify for free tuition fees, simply having parents from there wont work.
as for the Irish question the above poster sums it up very well
I think what matters is where you have been living for the 3 years prior to you starting your course. Since you moved down to England and have lived here for nearly 17 years I'm not sure if you would be eligible for free tuition fees :/
I'm not entirely sure though, maybe try calling up student finance and see if they know anything about your situation.
Good luck
It is actually very different to the Irish situation. If you had Irish parents/grandparents you could claim Irish citizenship and an Irish passport, and that would work. But you cannot claim that for a different part of Britain, it can only take ordinary residence into the equation then.
The irish situation is still under review as they can't seem to decide if it is nationality or residence. It could be nationality as they would have to apply for and get Irish citizenship before applying to uni.

The issue of Scots descent (and aren't we all French, celtic, irish, scottish, dutch , flemish if we look hard enough into our family tree?) is that it comes down to where you are living now - You are still british - just opting to live in specific region.

There are sometimes advantages to living in a place eg employment, weather , education etc - on the other hand it may cost you more to live there one way or another.

Good job they didn't move to Channel Isle / Isle of Man

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending