The Student Room Group

The big "critique my diet" thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by GildedButterfly
Ok. What kind of regime would you reccomend then to increase muscle? like how much should i be lifting, what kind of routine? sorry, i dont know much about using weights. and because i eat porridge for breakfast and then something like tuna salad for lunch, would eating fruit for dinner be bad for my weightloss? like the excess sugar? im finding myself binging on fruit, as i dont want to eat after work (waitressing means i get home at 10-11pm) thanks. sorry for all the questions.

What are you looking for, size or strength? You should read a copy of Starting Strength to learn the movements either way.

And I'm not sure about fruit, fruit has a lot of sugar but then some people say you can't get fat on fructose...

If that's all you eat, I'm not sure why you want to lose weight since you're probably already light?
I'm attempting to lose around 20 pounds- I am 10 stones 11 pounds. Overweight for my 5'6" frame.

The way I generally eat is that I have the same foods all the time so I cook in batch for lunch and dinner- I'm really lazy this way. :P
ner
My daily menu costs of

Breakfast:
Porridge with blueberries- 220 calories.

Lunch/Din
Rice- 200 calories
1 Bacon slice + 3 seafood sticks- around 100 with fat taken off
Carrots- 4/5 sticks so its around 100 calories - this is all mixed in like rice stirfry i guess.
in addition to this, i will have a side of vegetable- brocoli or cabbage- around 60 calories worth. reaaally filling. :smile:

Snacks- I have an apple and low calorie jelly- around 10 calories per portion. I'll drink some soda- diet coke or dr pepper zero/coffee with sweetener. I also drink a fair amount of water to.

In all, around 1400 a day ish. It's probably my body's adjusting to low calories but I'm still ravenous!
Hello

just some thoughts on how healthy / unhealthy this diet plan is :smile:

dailey vitamin and iron tablet, to cover all lost vitamins.

2 toast, 1/2 of baked beans, glass of water, totallying 500 calories, eaten 3 times a day, over a one month period to loose weight.

snacks include water... maybe plain tea without milk/suger (to be tried first) (its cooling as I type)
Reply 283
Wow, you plan to have beans on toast 3 times a day?

You've got fibre in there but not much else. I would have thought eating porridge in the morning and maybe an apple for breakfast, salad with some protein for lunch and then beans on toast at night would be healthier?

But I'm no expert, just make sure you eat sensibly and exercise, that's the best way to loose weight! :smile:
why not just exercise? you can eat whatever it is you normally eat (or better yet decrease the fried/fatty/oily foods and replacing them with fruits/vegetables)...while exercising

When you come off this diet...you'll only revert back to your old ways. Why not just make a life-style change and exercise daily? :smile:
Original post by shadwmatty
Hello

2 toast, 1/2 of baked beans, glass of water, totallying 500 calories, eaten 3 times a day, over a one month period to loose weight.

snacks include water... maybe plain tea without milk/suger (to be tried first) (its cooling as I type)

Please don't eat this :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Awful diet, no fruit or veg...why?? You'd be doing a lot better replacing the bread with eggs/tuna/nuts/chicken/turkey then you'd get enough protein, essential fats and fibre. You'd also feel a lot fuller. With that diet you're asking for a s**t poor metabolism which will see you pile on the lbs after that month is up.
Reply 287
Why all the fibre and nothing else? I suppose this is a good diet if you have hemorrhoids...do you have hemorrhoids?
This isn't wise. You want to just tweak your current diet so that you can actually stick with it. I doubt you'd last with this and it's not healthy anyway!
Never gonna work. Even on the off-chance you do manage to stick to it, your body will go into starvation mode so will store any fuel it can as fat, and when you start eating normally again it will turn everything you eat to fat so you will lose muscle, and your metabolism will be screwed.
Original post by shadwmatty
Hello

Possibly the worst I have ever seen.

Breakfast = 2-4 eggs and a protein shake.

Lunch = Vegetables & legumes & tuna or chicken.

Dinner = Vegetables & legumes & tuna or chicken.

Snacks = a protein shake and carrot sticks.

Drinks = Water & green tea. Nothing else.

Every week you can have a day off. The day off is mandatory at least once every 2 weeks, it will prevent your metabolism decreasing due to extend period of lower calories.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 291
Hi :smile:

So I'm 5'3 and around 9 stone, pretty flabby :/ I currently am a meat eater & don't eat particullary healthy. After taking inspiration from the book skinny bitch I've decidedto cut out meat, all dairy, eggs & bread out of my diet & my aim is to eat 2 out of 3 of my meals raw. I'm pretty worried that I'll freak out on the first day and give up, but I really need to lose weight. My plan is:

Breakfast -
Fruit
or..
Porridge on its own or with raisins/a banana
or..
Fresh fruit juice/fresh smoothie

Lunch & Dinner -
Big salad on its own or with beans/chickpeas/pulses
or..
Fruit salad
or..
Stir fry on its own or with tofu/quorn
or..
Vegetables with hummous
or..
Fresh fruit juice or smoothie

or..
Rice and steamed veg

Snacks would be either fresh veg/fruit or a smoothie/banana and soya milk smoothie. I go to the gym for an hour a day and walk my dogs for an hour a day. How would you improve my diet plan, without adding meat/dairy?

Thanks! x
(edited 11 years ago)
You're normal BMI so why are you going to extremes? You don't "really need" to lose weight. You might need to tone up but that's another matter and involves exercising - it doesn't necessitate giving up meat and eating most of your food "raw".

To answer your question as to how you can improve your diet - just eat a normal balanced diet for goodness sake.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aimeerose
After taking inspiration from the book skinny bitch I've decidedto cut out meat, all dairy, eggs & bread out of my diet & my aim is to eat 2 out of 3 of my meals raw.

Unhealthy and unrealistic.

I'm pretty worried that I'll freak out on the first day and give up, but I really need to lose weight.

"Fat loss is not under the control of the magic fat loss fairies. It's based on simple changes in behaviour."

Follow a sensible calorie controlled diet and add in some exercise and you will lose weight, and more importantly keep it off. Hopping from one faddish/starvation/restrictive/unhealthy diet to another is simply going to feed your problems.

General pointers:

1) Eat at least 3 good meals a day - fruit, stir fry vegetables, salad, fruit juice, smoothies, rice and vegetables on their own are not a meal. That's a recipe for malnourishment and starvation, not healthy fat loss.

2) Get a decent portion of protein into every meal - that's right, a fist sized portion of lean meat, fish, eggs, beans, lentils, low fat cheese, etc in EVERY MEAL.

3) Eat plenty of fibre rich foods - eat as many vegetables, beans, lentils, etc as you like.

4) Don't drink calories - avoid milk, fruit juice, squash, smoothies, alcohol and sugar in tea/coffee. Drink as much water, green tea and coffee as you like.

5) Don't eat fewer than 1500 calories per day - if this is "too much" you're either too inactive, you're not eating properly (ie; cheating too often, not measuring out portion sizes, too many calorific drinks) or you need to see your doctor.

6) Walk for 30-60 minutes twice a day.
Hi,

This diet isn't great. You can get all vitamins you need from your diet whilst keeping in a good calorie range. Click on "fitness FAQ" in my signature and have a read around some of the things in there, that should get you started.
(edited 11 years ago)
Although you are eating enough calories, you need to make sure you are getting ALL the important stuff like ; protein and healthy fats.
Baked beans contain a lot of sugar and by not using it up, this sugar will be stored as fat.
You are better off sticking to your 1500 daily calorie limit, but eating a whole range of foods. Try weetabix for beakfast, a salad or bread-less turkey wrap for lunch and chicken or fish for lunch.
Search "healthy meals/recipes" on google and you will find a ton of yummy meals that you'll enjoy.
Also, try doing cardio at least 5 times a day to speed up weight loss, while still being healthy. POP Pilates on YouTube is one I recommend and she also has a workout calendar you can use on her website.
Hope this helped , sorry it's so long :smile:.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 296
84 portions of beans on toast? forgetting the healthiness, isn't that boring?!
Reply 297
A snack is not water. You need H2O to stay hydrated. Have green tea instead. In fact this is a doubble face palm thread.
So I want to lose weight in time for Uni. Im 10 stone and 5 ft 4 female. I want to lose about a stone in 6 weeks.

Can people help me with diet etc? I was thinking.

Breakfast- weetabix/branflakes with skimmed milk, fruit juice and banana.
Lunch- tuna/ham mayo sandwich (how bad is white bread? I hate brown bread)
Dinner- anyone got any ideas?! for a cheap student

Snacks- fruit/yoghurt.

In regards to excercise I do have a gym membership and I dont mind going running and that. If I do things like pilates/yoga are they any good either?

Can I have some suggestions for diet/excercise to lose weight? The only thing I can't do is go in water :frown: anything else I am open to ideas!
(edited 11 years ago)
Well you say that your dinner could be "anything" so it's hard to tell really, you could be stuffing up on all kinds of things! Also, try to stay away from white bread - or bread altogether really. Any exercise is good, so running/walking is fine but you don't even really need to go to the gym to do that. If you want to increase muscle tone as well then using the weights in the gym would be a good idea, and perhaps some resistance machines at first to get started. Yoga and pilates would be good for general core and posture, though depending on the level I'm not sure you'd burn much fat in doing so...

I don't want to put you off but a stone in 6 weeks is quite a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest